PDA

View Full Version : Health problems, doctor/test phobia and high deductible whine

CathyA
10-20-11, 1:42pm
When I was younger, I went to the doctor's a the first sign of a problem.
Now I go kicking and screaming.
I've gone to so many doctors in the past 15 years......after influenza, pneumonia and then Fibromyalgia, IBS, GERD, hormone problems, migraines, sinus problems, etc.
Well things finally calmed down for me in the past few years, and it was wonderful.

But about a year ago, I started having pain in my left side.......probably diverticula. I've tried to ignore it, since I get so panicked to go to the doctor's or have tests, but now I'm having more pain and probably gastroparesis.

I felt pretty good about not going up until now. I felt that I wasn't seriously jeopardizing my health by not going. The pain was intermittent and I never had a fever. I've had lab work recently that was normal and also my yearly visit to the OB/GYN was normal.

My fibromyalgia has confused so many issues. If I went to the docs every time I had what felt like serious pain, I would go every week. So I've learned to ignore alot of things (within reason).

I was trying to make it to January, since we have a $6,000 deductible, which we haven't begun to meet.
I cried uncle and called the GI doc for an appointment. But dang, the tests he will no doubt order (colonoscopy/upper endoscopy/CT scan, etc.) will cost a couple thousand dollars at least. It ticks me off that insurance won't pay any of it.
DH says don't worry about the money, just make sure you're okay. But its hard not to worry about the money! There's so many other things that need our money these days (kids in college, house repairs, etc.).

I guess I'm rambling. I just don't want to overlook something serious......but I'm petrified to go and upset about the money it will cost.

I always think I've got something terminal. I hate it. I know so many people who have really had serious stuff and they seem to take it in stride, so much better than me.
Thanks for listening.

Sissy
10-20-11, 3:58pm
Cathy, I "feel your pain". Pretty much the only reason I go to the dr. is to re-up my meds. I don't have insurance, so I understand those worries. And, they usually want to run other tests to check other stuff. The last time I went, the nurse ask if I was ready for my bone density test, as it was scheduled. I asked her who scheduled it? (not me) But then I can't make them schedule some that I would like to know about.

I wanted to get a referral to a rheumatoligist (sp?) because I want a confirmation for fibro/chronic fatigue, but the dr. thought I needed to see a cardioligist. I didn't go because even if there is a problem, I probably would hesitate to do anything drastic (money again).

So thanks for listening to me!

Sherry

Aqua Blue
10-20-11, 4:46pm
(((Cathy))). I so hear you and I'm(was) an RN. I once said to a Dr who asked why I hadn't called earlier when I was in pain for an ovarian cyst, "If I called you everytime I had pain like this you'd have to build a special shelf just for my chart. You would basically hear from me every day". I really miss that Dr tho, he did take me seriously and respected that I was in pain. Now I have insurance with riders for migraines, fibro/cfs, depression, elevated cholesterol and osteoarthritis. So, I go once a year and get my meds renewed. I don't think the person I see now thinks I am in very much discomfort because she only hears from me once a year, oh well they never do anything for it anyway.

Sissy, they just automatically scheduled me for a dextra too. I cancelled. I am not taking any of those meds anyway, so what is the purpose? They scheduled it on the same day they scheduled a Vit D level. Both were $400 tests. What part of no insurance and no money don't you get?

Doubt that really helped you, Cathy, other than to know there are others of us with the same set of symptoms.

JaneV2.0
10-20-11, 4:49pm
As others have done, I suggest an elimination diet. Start with wheat.

reader99
10-25-11, 7:36pm
My innards can't cope with dairy in an yform, nor with grains. I eat vegetables, animal protein, berries, beans, hummus....

CathyA
10-25-11, 8:15pm
Thanks everyone. I'm going to the doc tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be conservative about what he orders. And I've already decided if he wants to get a motility test, I'm not going to have it, because I'm not taking any of the motility drugs. I'm just going to be sure I don't have cancer or diverticulitis.
I can live with lots of stuff, if it isn't going to kill me. So often, the drugs used to treat alot of things just make other things worse!
I just wish we didn't have a $6,000 deductible! And to pay say, half of it at the end of the year and not get credit for it come January 1, is irritating!

I just wish going to the docs wasn't so traumatic for me. Sometimes I wish I could be someone else for awhile! ;)

redfox
10-26-11, 12:03am
CathyA, I get it... Please keep us posted. I have been in serious awfulizing, imaging dreadful scenarios about my own situation this week. You're in my heart right now. Hope it goes well.
Hugs.

heydude
10-26-11, 1:32am
This is why we need Obama-care (which, despite many screaming about the opinion that we now are all under Obama-care, I still DO NOT have)......because too many people are not getting access to health insurance. You've heard the numbers of people that have NO ACCESS. Well, what about the people who do have access but don't use it because of the cost or deductables, etc. I am also putting things off until January, which may increase the cost for all of us by letting things to untreated.

CathyA
10-26-11, 10:23am
Redfox.......man can I relate to the serious awfulizing! I woke up in the middle of the night and my thoughts weren't good. I don't know how to NOT do that......
except go to the doc and have tests. I see all the people who have had serious problems and seem to have held up so well. Wish I could be more like that.
I've learned over the past few years to not alienate or dislike any of my body parts/organs, even if they are messing up. We're all in this together. I need them and they need "me". I think not having that adversarial position with them is a good thing. I'm comforting to them and talk to them. Hopefully it helps. It can't hurt.
Now, I just wish I wasn't hungry all the time. That can't be good for them/me. sometimes I think eating all the time is the body's attempt to fix something that isn't right.........but sometimes its futile.
I'm anxious right now and talking alot! My appointment is this afternoon. I'll let you know how it turns out. Let me know how things go with you too!

iris lily
10-26-11, 10:29am
This is why we need Obama-care (which, despite many screaming about the opinion that we now are all under Obama-care, I still DO NOT have)......because too many people are not getting access to health insurance. You've heard the numbers of people that have NO ACCESS. Well, what about the people who do have access but don't use it because of the cost or deductables, etc. I am also putting things off until January, which may increase the cost for all of us by letting things to untreated.
dude, here's the thing: it DOES cost something. Whether you pay out in taxes, in insurance premiums, in co-pays or in deductibles, it WILL COST SOMETHING.
Are you really complaining because you've got to pay something?

Sorry, but this is why I think that we are all doomed and is an illustration of why I am not in favor of more socialized medicine. Everyone wants it all to be free.

This country can't afford that.

Not to pick on Cathy, but she chose a high deductible (which, by the way, I think is a smart choice.) This is the consequence of that choice.

CathyA
10-26-11, 11:21am
I agree IL,
We can't expect all this high tech health care to be totally free. And especially when we're trying to keep everybody alive forever. I'm just bummed that its not January! And we were just getting a little ahead financially. But I do agree that we can't expect all this care for nothing. Its a very complicated issue.
I think if we accepted growing old and death more, and had a better (healthier) lifestyle, etc., etc., we wouldn't have as much of a problem in this country.
But I definitely don't expect all this to be free.
DH has a business with about 15 employees. This was the best insurance he could find.

freein05
10-26-11, 12:42pm
We went to my wife's open enrollment yesterday. There were 6 insurance companies there each had at least 2 plans. We set for 3 hours listening to their presentations. After the meeting my head was spinning. Health insurance programs have became so complicated it takes a Phd in health insurance to understand what they are talking about.

sweetana3
10-26-11, 1:16pm
I usually suggest to people with symptoms that come and go to keep a detailed journal of :
1. What you eat and when
2. What symptoms/pain you are feeling and when
3. Sleeping status
4. Mental state or anything else you can think of like exercise
Look for patterns. Most people do not have enough info or the right info to be accurately told to doctors for a good diagnosis, especially in these types of issues.

JaneV2.0
10-26-11, 2:34pm
I'm sure I'm not the only person left who believes most health problems (symptoms) can be resolved by paying close attention to your body (as sweetana3 suggests) and then taking appropriate action. Bombarding the patient with expensive/often dangerous procedures and drugs is what we do now, but except in rare cases, it's unnecessary, and one of the reasons health care costs are so high. Apparently, skilled diagnosticians (who actually listen to their patients) have gone the way of the dodo, along with carefully prescribed lifestyle changes.

heydude
10-26-11, 4:32pm
Iris Lily,

I understand it costs something but there is something wrong when people are finding out that health care is something they cannot afford.

We can spend billions on wars, bailouts, tax cuts for wealthy, but the minute someone suggests giving some money so people can better afford healthcare, then there is a big scream.

iris lily
10-26-11, 8:53pm
Iris Lily,

I understand it costs something but there is something wrong when people are finding out that health care is something they cannot afford.

We can spend billions on wars, bailouts, tax cuts for wealthy, but the minute someone suggests giving some money so people can better afford healthcare, then there is a big scream.

Who gets to decide what people "cant afford?" If DH decides he can't afford health insurance premiums, is his judgement good enough for you, and you'll happily take over his health coverage?

CathyA
10-27-11, 10:04am
Well, I wasn't completely happy with my GI doctor visit. Maybe I shoot myself in the foot by trying to give him my life's health history and overwhelm him. At least he appreciated the problem with people with fibromyalgia have with tolerating drugs. he also knew that I wanted to avoid much radiation, since I've already had 12-15 CT scans in my life (probably most of which were unnecessary, since we were on wild-goose chases with my fibromyalgia), so he ordered a simple KUB and a complete abdominal ultrasound.

It drives me nuts when docs don't rely on their own clinical assessments (or even do one. Seems like several of my docs don't even touch me during an "exam"......its all talking). At one point he was concerned that my left chest pain was my heart. I told him I had had an EKG several months ago and it was normal. Well, he didn't even listen to my heart or lungs. He didn't do the liver tapping check. He did push quickly on my abdomen to see if I had pain, and listened for bowel sounds. He just didn't ask all the questions he should have. I had good notes, but I get anxious during these visits and forget to ask alot of things.
Anyhow.....I suppose if its anything too awful, it will hopefully show up on the ultrasound. I can always get a CT scan later.
And it could possibly be my IBS. IBS can give you symptoms like you are dying, but nothing shows up. Bummer.

At least this latest problem has encouraged me to lose weight and be more careful of what I put in my mouth.
I'll probably at least live through the day. Some times it just plain sucks being me. I swear, I am all mis-wired.
I guess I'm lucky DH is a doctor, but he has major problems "doctoring" his own family members. So if I die, I can
blame it on him. haha

JaneV2.0
10-27-11, 12:28pm
While you're waiting for modern medicine to come up with a cure for your ailments, might I suggest reading Allan and Lutz's Life Without Bread, and William Davis, MD's Wheat Belly?

CathyA
10-27-11, 1:15pm
I actually have been eating very little wheat in the past 3 weeks. I bought gluten-free bread and crackers and pasta. I'm trying to avoid wheat altogether. I eat alot of chicken and meat. I ate tons of veggies before this last episode, but it seems like my GI tract unfortunately can't handle too much fiber during times when my GI tract shuts down. I think my problems have more to do with a defective neuro system. But I know I do better, the less wheat I eat.

JaneV2.0
10-27-11, 2:44pm
I've read it can take six months of a strictly (not mostly) wheat-free/gluten-free diet to recover from long-term problems. I encourage you to read (or listen to) the resources I cited. Wheat is notorious for causing neurological symptoms in the susceptible, btw.
http://journals.lww.com/co-neurology/Abstract/2002/10000/The_neurology_of_gluten_sensitivity__separating.1. aspx

Adhering to an elimination diet is harmless, and cheaper than most alternatives I can think of.

CathyA
10-27-11, 3:24pm
You make it sound so easy Jane. I've been eating wheat for almost 61 years and am sure I do alot of emotional eating too. Have you ever personally struggled with this? I'm not trying to sound mean.....just wondering. Some people find it very easy to adjust their here-to-for eating habits, but some of the rest of us find it to be an overwhelming day-to-day struggle, unfortunately.
One good thing is that my niece found out she had celiac disease and is all gluten-free, so she's a good resource for food products.

pinkytoe
10-27-11, 3:24pm
I watched the PBS special last night on the Ice Man - the frozen man they found in the Italian alps who apparently died 5000 yrs ago. I found it interesting that they examined his stomach contents still frozen and found a large quantity of ibis meat and wheat in his stomach. I don't have any issues with wheat, gluten or dairy so I guess I am lucky that way.

CathyA
10-27-11, 3:50pm
Its really hard to sort things out in today's world of food..........so many additives, preservatives, thickeners, extenders, etc., etc. I really try to eat simple things.
And who knows........maybe all these GI problems have more to do with how our neuro systems are treated in today's world. I guess we just have to slowly sort through our own stuff and figure out what makes us feel good, and what makes us feel bad. But that can be really challenging to do. DH has no GI problems whatsoever. If he wants to lose weight, he just backs off eating. If he eats some spoiled stuff, nothing bad happens. If he's full after a meal, he can ignore the yummy desert. He can go without lunch most of the time. He's just plain weird..... haha But I do envy him!

JaneV2.0
10-27-11, 4:10pm
Changing dietary habits has to be easier than living with the constant pain and other conditions you describe. You may find yourself less prone to "emotional eating" (which I believe is insulin-driven hunger) after you've purged foods that are toxic to you from your diet and you start feeling healthier.

(Is your niece a blood relative?)

There's no shortage of cookbooks (one good one is Paleo Comfort Foods by the Mayfields) if you're stuck for meal ideas.

And yes, I've changed the way I eat drastically and repeatedly as part of my ongoing experiment of one. Some changes have been easier than others. At this point, I'm generally low-carb/gluten free with aspirations toward paleo and pretty satisfied with my diet.

As far as "emotional eating" is concerned, one of the first things anyone who cuts way back on wheat and/or other carbohydrates notices is that they aren't prone to nagging, inappropriate hunger. Carbohydrates drive insulin; insulin is known as "the hunger hormone." I liked vegetarian food, but I didn't like the constant hunger such a disproportionately high-carbohydrate diet caused in me (not to mention the weight gain). I just wish I had figured all this out a few decades back. The information was out there, but I wasn't paying attention.

CathyA
10-27-11, 4:16pm
One of my problems is that my body has been uncomfortable for my entire life, in many different ways. I guess I've gotten used to pain and discomfort. Its all very confusing. I do agree though, that once we lower the carbs considerably in our diet, that intense desire for carbs/sweets definitely lessens. The hard part is getting to that point, and letting go of foods that, for the primitive human made the difference between life and death. I think some of us have more primitive wiring than others and over-do the fats/salt/sugars. We really do have primitive bodies in this modern world of excess.

JaneV2.0
10-27-11, 4:22pm
Gluten sensitivity (not frank celiac) symptoms from en.wikipedia.org:

Gluten sensitivity is a collection of diseases in which wheat prolamins and glutelins are the sensitizing factor. As such the symptoms are dependent on the specific pathology. In the overwhelming majority of cases, gluten sensitivity is asymptomatic or clinical presentation occurs in followup to idiopathic instances of other diseases (e.g. peripheral neuropathy, autoimmune disease). These other conditions can vary widely (coeliac disease has been called 'the great imitator', see coeliac disease - signs and symptoms). In the case of allergic responses, symptoms may appear as dermatitis but could also present as difficulty breathing during exercise. In both cases gastrointestinal symptoms may occur. Other symptoms may include bloating, abdominal discomfort, pain or diarrhoea; or it may present with a variety of extraintestinal symptoms including headaches and migraines, lethargy and tiredness, attention-deficit disorder and hyperactivity, autism and schizophrenia, muscular disturbances as well as bone and joint pain.[14][15][16][17][18] In the case of idiopathic gluten sensitivity all known symptoms are confined to the nervous system.

Gluten sensitivity can develop at any point in life, and symptomatic disease may appear years after disease develops. When enteropathy develops in early childhood symptomatic disease is more rapidly evident. A survey of geriatrics with coeliac disease in Finland[19] revealed that the incidence of disease was much higher than the general population. ...

Gluten-sensitive enteropathy develops as a consequence of genetic and environmental factors. Other than the involvement of certain HLA-DQ isoforms (antigen presenting proteins in humans) and certain wheat proteins, there is no clarity in the involvement of other genes or other environmental factors (see risk modifiers). Strong genetic factors such as seen in GSE have not been seen in gluten allergy, and with idiopathic gluten-sensitivity the HLA-DQ associations are weak.

Researchers reported extreme fatigue and pain in patients without celiac disease, with gliadin antibodies. They called this a “non-celiac gluten intolerance” for which there is no explanation as to the mechanisms involved.[20]

Primitive? Then paleo is right up your alley!

CathyA
10-27-11, 4:31pm
What blood type are you Jane? Maybe I've asked this before, but I forget.
Its very unfortunate that docs aren't up on a continuum of wheat intolerance. They think you have to
be a frank celiac to have any problems at all with wheat. it gets frustrating when you have to do
your own doctoring. And what I find crazy is that docs (especially GI docs), never ask what your diet consists of.
That's just plain strange.........not to find out how you fuel your system!

JaneV2.0
10-27-11, 4:43pm
A+ Aside from a stuffy nose and oral ulcers, I've not had any obvious symptoms of wheat sensitivity.

I'd rather do my own doctoring, personally. Although I have a lot of respect for the quality of ER/trauma medicine in this country, I'm not otherwise impressed. Barring uncontrolled bleeding or a compound fracture or something, I'll puzzle it out myself. (One of my ancestors, Magdalena, was a traveling herbalist; I think we would have had lots to talk about.)

I have an enormous stake in my own wellness, and I'm not willing to turn that over to some uninvolved, often ill-informed glorified drug-pusher--not to put too fine a point on it. The human body has almost unlimited powers of self-regulation and repair if you give it half a chance.