PDA

View Full Version : Activia

CathyA
10-21-11, 11:49am
I occasionally eat Activia, hoping it has the right good stuff in it. Recently, the ads for it have changed. Now they're saying that the research shows that if you eat it 3 times a day, it might help you. 3 times a day???? Give me a break. They come in 4 packs for about $2.50. That means for these to "maybe" help, you must eat 21 packs a week at about $12.50 a week. I think they should call it what its is.........a desert that probably doesn't do much.

pinkytoe
10-21-11, 12:04pm
I would think a good active plain yogurt or kefir would provide similar benefit for less moola. Doesn't Activia have sugar in it and some other additives?

Float On
10-21-11, 2:45pm
I think they got in trouble a while back for false claims didn't they?

steve s
10-21-11, 3:57pm
The last time i checked the so-called research pointing to the benefit of activia turned out to be phony.

Dannon has paid out millions (http://c****chdog.com/2010/12/15/dannon-pays-21-million-for-false-claims-about-activia) in false claims settlements on account of touting their "research".

However, I have ben told the benefits of live culture yogurts are well established. I suspect any live culture yogurt is as good as any other. Also, I give my cats Acidolphus culture and the litterbox hardly smells bad.

I am not a Doctor, so please take my commnets at that value.

CathyA
10-21-11, 4:00pm
I sure wish we could trust people who sell things and the claims they make. I have taken probiotic pills in the past, but I'm not sure it helped my GI tract much. For me, I think the best thing I can do is cut back on carbs. That seems to be what's so hard on my GI tract.

fidgiegirl
10-21-11, 6:43pm
Ok, I have nothing to add to this discussion except that whenever I hear the word Activia I think of this SNL skit:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/17002/saturday-night-live-activia-yogurt

CathyA
10-21-11, 7:43pm
I think the wrong SNL skit came up, but I know which one you probably mean........the one with Kirsten Wigg about to have GI problems? Its hysterical!

Marianne
10-22-11, 7:03am
The last time i checked the so-called research pointing to the benefit of activia turned out to be phony.

Dannon has paid out millions (http://c****chdog.com/2010/12/15/dannon-pays-21-million-for-false-claims-about-activia) in false claims settlements on account of touting their "research".

However, I have ben told the benefits of live culture yogurts are well established. I suspect any live culture yogurt is as good as any other. Also, I give my cats Acidolphus culture and the litterbox hardly smells bad.

I am not a Doctor, so please take my commnets at that value.

Keep talking....where do you get the culture? I bet my indoor cats would lap up some yogurt, but since cats are generally lactose intolerant, I'm not sure that's the way to go - too bad. But I have heard that you can buy the culture. Cutting back on litterbox odor would be a huge plus.

mira
10-23-11, 5:45am
Just start getting plain natural yoghurt that contains live cultures, if you want to continue with it.

I recently read (on the National Health Service website, I think?) that there is very little evidence to suggest that this "good" bacteria actually survives long enough in the body to make it all the way through the gut.

Marianne
10-23-11, 7:26am
Steve! Come back!
I save yogurt to make another batch of yogurt, but I know that you can buy the dry culture some place. That's what I was wondering about, did the katz get the dry, or a little blop of yogurt...?

Mrs-M
10-23-11, 5:42pm
I'm a firm believer that most everything (product wise) manufacturers claim as being superior or exceptional, is nothing but malarkey. I take it all with a grain of salt and believe very little...

steve s
10-26-11, 1:29pm
I get acidophilus in capsules for cheap from a health food store. They come in an pectin media, so lactose is not an issue.