PDA

View Full Version : When Is Tomato Season Done?

melissalw
10-22-11, 3:58pm
I'm guessing in most places, it isn't an issue by now. Here in sunny northern California, though, temps remain in the 70s with a few days in the 80s. I have some good recipes for green tomatoes, but I'd rather leave them to ripen if that's possible. How do folks decide if their tomatoes are going to ripen further, or if it is time to cut losses and eat a few green tomatoes? Is it certain temps, a certain number of rainy days? Something else? I could really use some advice!

jania
10-23-11, 9:01am
Tomatoes usually need some good sunny days to ripen. If you've already got the plants going I'd just wait it out, see what happens. However, if you've got lots of days in the 70's ahead with mostly cloudy and/or rainy days I don't think I could count on them turning red. Also, if it is rainy and cloudy watch they don't rot. Good luck!

Mrs-M
10-23-11, 5:17pm
Tomatoes thrive in sun, without regular long days of sun/warmth, tomatoes do nothing. In our neck of the woods once the days turn cooler (late August/September), tomatoes are done. As far as green tomatoes go, don't be afraid to pick them and set them on the counter in your kitchen to finish ripening. Works like a charm! :)

Sad Eyed Lady
10-23-11, 6:59pm
I am actually still getting some ripe tomatoes and lots of green. However, we are starting to have some frosts and I imagine their days are numbered. I've enjoyed having them this late in the season.

happystuff
10-23-11, 9:21pm
Mine ended today. Was gone all day today. When I got home, dh had pulled up the plants and was mowing over everything. I went out and salvaged what I could. Will be putting green tomatoes on the dehydrator.

Sigh......

Marianne
10-23-11, 9:56pm
Actually, the tomato plant needs sun, the tomato doesn't (according to some internet thing I read and a buddy of mine). She taught me this a couple years ago and I've had really good luck -

Pick the green tomatoes before the first frost. Lay them in a single layer in a box with some newspaper and put them in the dark, under the beds, wherever. Check on them every couple days. Pull out the ripe ones and enjoy any way you like. They won't taste as good as those wonderful, sun warmed, ripened tomatoes, but they're a lot better than the store's tomatoes.

I pick my green ones in stages. Then I have a lot that ripen at the same time to cook them up and pop the jars in the freezer. We had BLT's a few days ago, they were still good! I picked the rest of mine a few days ago as we were going to have our first freeze. :o(

Sad Eyed Lady
10-23-11, 10:08pm
Actually, the tomato plant needs sun, the tomato doesn't (according to some internet thing I read and a buddy of mine). She taught me this a couple years ago and I've had really good luck -

Pick the green tomatoes before the first frost. Lay them in a single layer in a box with some newspaper and put them in the dark, under the beds, wherever. Check on them every couple days. Pull out the ripe ones and enjoy any way you like. They won't taste as good as those wonderful, sun warmed, ripened tomatoes, but they're a lot better than the store's tomatoes.

I pick my green ones in stages. Then I have a lot that ripen at the same time to cook them up and pop the jars in the freezer. We had BLT's a few days ago, they were still good! I picked the rest of mine a few days ago as we were going to have our first freeze. :o(
Yes, I have done this in the past and they are very good in the wintertime - not anything like what you would find in the stores.

melissalw
10-26-11, 8:39pm
Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely think about ripening them inside if it comes to that. To answer a few questions, my tomatoes are big and green at this point, and are planted so they get lots of afternoon sun. "First frost" is the rule I used when younger, but it doesn't happen here until December/January. Some years, we never go below freezing at all. It sounds like people generally bring them in "when it gets colder"; I'm just trying to get a better feel for when that is.

Mrs. M, what are temps like there in late August/early September?

iris lily
10-26-11, 8:48pm
We are harvesting tomatoes that are slightly pink and are letting them ripen on the kitchen counter. For some reason the squirrels are letting us have this last batch of tomatoes. I suppose they've got nuts to harvest.

Mrs-M
10-27-11, 11:27am
Melissalw. Typically, temperatures (come late August/early September) range from mid to high 20's (Celsius) daytime temps, right down to single digit/freezing temps (night-time). Some years (like this one) warmer temps carry on right through till mid October (daytime), rare, but traditionally by October (both day and night) it's cold.