PDA

View Full Version : How to have a good MRI

kally
10-25-11, 1:47am
Ever had one? Got any tips on what to do or how to prepare to make the experience a bit easier. Thanks

catherine
10-25-11, 7:01am
I was just talking about that with some people (I was doing research on a condition where frequent MRIs are part of the monitoring protocol).

My DH and I have both had them: I don't remember being bothered at all; DH hated it--he said he felt too enclosed and he started to freak out a bit.

I think the two things that will help are:

1) Psyching yourself into it the right way. Now's the time to put your meditation practices to use. Breathe, close your eyes, just try to find your center. You could even use some Lamaze breathing exercises if you know them.

2) My colleagues and I were talking about the second tip: Make sure your technician is a good one. The good ones will tell you in advance what to expect. They'll let you wear headphones--you can request music, and also, through the headphones the good technicians will talk you through calmly throughout the whole thing.

Those seem to be the best ways to get through it. It doesn't hurt at all--it's just a little closed in and noisy. I'd rather have that than some invasive procedure!

Float On
10-25-11, 7:27am
I've never had to have one but our 1st son had to have several. Locally we have an open MRI machine, much more comfortable and not that closed in feeling. This was at an MRI center, not in the hospital. The hospital only offered the closed MRI machine. Insurance still covered it, I just had to request it.

CathyA
10-25-11, 8:39am
I had a bad experience in a closed one years ago, but have asked for open-sided ever since. I think they are really trying to improve on them. The last one I was in was pretty big and well lit.
I did have a little sedation, since I'm claustrophobic, but it wasn't bad at all.
I use my time in there to think of things I'm going to do.......like what I'll plant for the garden, what needs cleaned in the house, what to cook for meals the next week, etc. Or....you can just lay there and rest!
If it is of your head, they will put a frame-type thing over your head and a washcloth over your eyes.
Good luck. You'll be fine! And just think of all the radiation you AREN'T getting!

Rosemary
10-25-11, 10:20am
I've been in a closed MRI several times as a participant in a clinical study.
Just relax. Use the time to meditate or nap if possible, or do some planning as CathyA suggested. Once I created the outline and character sketches for a novel (in my head, of course!).
It will probably be noisy, but they will give you earplugs.
The stiller you are able to stay, the quicker it will go, because they won't have to re-run any of the scans.

Mrs. Hermit
10-25-11, 12:51pm
I had just finished reading several garden design books when I needed an MRI. So of course I planned gardens in my mind! Just knowing I was going to have to lay there for a long time before it started helped me deal with it, I think. But it wasn't a bad experience for me.

reader99
10-25-11, 12:53pm
I fell asleep while having an MRI.

Float On
10-25-11, 1:38pm
I fell asleep while having an MRI. That would probably be worse for me, I jump and jerk and move so much when I nap they'd be yelling "STAY AWAKE!!"

CathyA
10-25-11, 3:08pm
I've always heard they don't want you to fall asleep.....maybe that's why.

CathyA
10-25-11, 3:09pm
I get very anxious over medical tests and procedures. The last MRI I had, they let my husband sit in the room with me. So don't be afraid to ask for that, if you think you might be really anxious.

Wildflower
10-26-11, 6:39am
I've had 3 MRIs and really it has been the easiest medical test I've ever had. I am even a tad claustrophobic, but I could see that I could easily crawl out if I needed to and it was open at both ends. If I have an exit then I don't panic. It was noisy, but I was given headphones to listen to music and I spent the whole time decluttering and redecorating my house in my mind...one of my favorite things to do when I am bored or trying to fall asleep.

Gardenarian
10-26-11, 4:16pm
I am a bit phobic about medical testing, and also a little claustrophobic, but I have had several closed MRIs and they were not unpleasant at all. The time passes pretty quickly.