PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a prayer request thread?

Stella
10-29-11, 12:23am
I keep a notebook of prayer requests people make in the chapel in my house. I was thinking today, as I am praying for a friend of mine who just miscarried that it might be nice to share our prayer requests with those of us on the board who pray in some way. We are really such a community in so many ways, this might be another way of sharing some of our joys, sorrows and worries.

Tonight I'm praying for Kathy, who miscarried. It was likely her only chance to have a baby due to health issues.

I'm also praying for WJSimon.

goldensmom
10-29-11, 7:09am
I'm in. Will pray for Kathy - not that sharing an experience is necessary but I've had miscarriages so I know first hand the depth of sorrow she is experiencing.

Stella
10-29-11, 10:36am
Thanks goldensmom! I have had miscarriages too and it is such a hard thing to go through.

Zoebird
10-29-11, 5:08pm
two of my friends, who are very wonderful parents and devoutly religious, had their children taken unjustly by CPS. (http://supportclanhenderson.blogspot.com/)

we have pretty much been praying unceasingly for them. if you feel so inclined, it would be wonderful if you included them in your prayers.

Stella
10-29-11, 8:07pm
Absolutely Zoebird. I will add them to my prayer list!

Lainey
10-29-11, 9:39pm
If you're of the "spiritual but not religious" mindset, I'd recommend Unity's online prayer service: https://www.unity.org/cms-global/form/ViewForm.do?formTemplateCode=requestPrayer

If nothing else, it gives peace of mind to turn it over to the universe for a while.

Nice topic, Stella.

fidgiegirl
10-30-11, 6:20pm
I do not consider myself particularly religious, but I think keeping others in mind is kind of my way of praying.

I have been thinking about Zoebird's friends quite a bit since visiting their blog, as well as the children and families I heard about in this series on NPR last week: http://www.npr.org/2011/10/25/141672992/native-foster-care-lost-children-shattered-families. If you have some time to listen, it is a very critical story.

I often find myself thinking of my former sister-in-law, who battles issues of mental illness, as well as a former coworker who suddenly quit coming to work, we think for the same reason.

I pray for my other chronically ill sister-in-law and wish her husband strength as it's been many years of pain for her and caregiving for him. Now she's on a med that makes her, let's say, in a less-than-pleasant mood. That would be hard to live with.

Thanks for this, I hope we can keep it going.

Wildflower
10-31-11, 4:12am
I am praying daily these days for our very good friend, Brent, and my Aunt Louise, both whom have stage 4 cancer.

Also praying for my sister. She is bipolar and having a very difficult time.

Float On
10-31-11, 9:13am
My friend has a rare cancer and is home on hospice, could be days or a week or so, they thought they lost her Friday night. They have two small daughters.

Zoe Girl
10-31-11, 9:20am
i want to add tonya for basic safety among other things, she is being abused by her son among many other issues like cancer but cannot seem to make any even tiny steps to change

Stella
10-31-11, 9:42am
I will write all of these down in my notebook later today.

I want to add a gratitude prayer for my sister, who has now officially been cancer free for one year! It wasn't looking good at the beginning of her fight, but she is doing well and back living her life fully!

Float On
10-31-11, 12:42pm
That is a reason to rejoice Stella!

Mrs-M
10-31-11, 2:19pm
Prayers and well wishes to everyone here, and to those, who's names were mentioned.

goldensmom
10-31-11, 2:50pm
Yes, Stella, prayer is not only intersession but praise and thanksgiving as well (sometimes we forget). I like this thread, thanks for starting it.

Rogar
10-31-11, 3:30pm
I've not a hugely religious person, but do believe in the healing power of non-denominational prayer. I wonder if this could be a permanent sticky for prayer requests.

fidgiegirl
10-31-11, 8:46pm
I like that, Rogar.

Stella
10-31-11, 10:09pm
I like that too Rogar!

I like this thread too! Thanks for everyone's prayers!

Yes, I am rejoicing big time about my sister. She is only 31 and a single mom to a 10 year old. I am so grateful that she is doing so well. Her hair is back now and her son said that once it's long again he'll know that she's going to be OK. I'm praying he gets that by Christmas. This was hard on him too.

I'm going to add my friends Nicole and Michelle who's cousin was burned alive in a car accident a couple of days ago. The family is absolutely devastated.

thinkgreen
11-1-11, 12:24am
I pray for my friend's family. She lost her brother and sister-in-law who were killed in the Reno air races crash. It has been a devastating loss to their family. Thankfully their children are adults

I also pray for a loved one who will get brain surgery on Thursday this week. He is suffering so much and we are hopeful he gets some relief. The surgery is the beginning of a process to implant, activate and fine tune a sort of brain pacemaker.

Thank you for this thread Stella.

cdttmm
11-1-11, 9:03am
Yes, this is a great thread! I am also not a religious person, but rather a spiritual person.

I would like to add my younger brother to this list. Tomorrow he will be two years sober and I am grateful that he has been successful thus far in battling his demons. I pray that he will remain strong and continue on his present path.

Float On
11-1-11, 11:28am
thinkgreen - a friend of ours had a brain pacemaker put in last year it has given him some much needed relief from parkinsons. He is even able to play the drums again for now.
Praying that your friends surgery goes well and has good results.

My friend with the rare cancer departed this life early this morning. My husband was there last night to play guitar for her while the elders prayed. She had a gentle passing.

thinkgreen
11-1-11, 1:15pm
Float On - thank you for your encouraging words and prayers. Our loved one would be thrilled to have such results.

My condolences for your loss. Your husband's music must have soothed her and given her joy.

Stella
11-1-11, 3:24pm
Float On I have tears in my eyes picturing her death. It sounds like a terrible loss for her friends and family, but as peaceful a death as was possible. What a gift your husband gave her!

Continuing to pray for everyone here's requests.

Zoebird
11-2-11, 2:24am
thanksgiving and gratitude for my booming business and all of my amazing clients and practitioners!

Stella
11-4-11, 8:40am
Tough morning today. My sister's cancer is back. I can't stop crying.

cdttmm
11-4-11, 8:55am
Oh Stella, sending you hugs!!! Keeping you, your sister, and your entire family in my thoughts!!!

Stella
11-4-11, 10:17am
Thanks cdttmm! I am pulling myself together. It's hard because I was just starting to let my guard down and think that things were going to be OK.

Float On
11-4-11, 2:10pm
Stella, I'm sorry. Prayers for you and your sister.

Stella
11-4-11, 5:10pm
Thanks Float On!

Lainey
11-4-11, 10:37pm
I'll go to unity and ask for everyone's prayers for her, Stella.

Stella
11-5-11, 9:50am
Thank you Lainey!

bke
11-5-11, 10:25pm
I'm not religious. But I do believe in the power of positive thoughts. I have a prayer request for all of you. One of the young men that spent the winter working on my remodeled home has tried to commit suicide 3 times in the last few weeks. He is an Iraqi Veteran who has suffered terribly since returning to to states. He's come so very, very close to suceeding in taking his own life. Right now he is in a mandatory 10 stay at a VA hospital. I don't know him as intimately as I do others in my life but I know he's a good, patriotic, caring young man. He needs to be convinced that this life is worth living and that he is a good person.

I bought a Veteran's day card this afternoon. It is my goal to get it signed by every willing individual that I come in contact with over the next few days. My heart tells me that its going to take the kindness of strangers to show this guy that things can be ok again. I even had the clerk at the store where I bought it sign the card before I left.

Please pray for him. If any of you might be interested in reaching out to him through the mail, let me know and I will get my mailing address to you. Maybe one or two of you could get some friends, family or co-workers to send him a little note?

Thank you.

BKE

goldensmom
11-6-11, 5:55am
Fervent prayers for comfort, Stella. Interceding for all. Praise and thanksgiving for providing for us and for sustaining us.

Anne Lee
11-6-11, 6:46am
Stella,

Praying that all affected would be able to lean on the everlasting arms.

BKE,

Thank you for sharing. I will pray for him. If I were to scan a handwritten message as a jpeg and email it to you, could you print it out and tape it into the card? As a mother of a veteran who came through unscathed, I feel an obligation to support those who didn't.

Stella
11-6-11, 10:20am
Thank you for your prayers everyone!

BKE that is terrible! I will definitely pray for that man!

iris lily
11-6-11, 10:47am
Stella,

Praying that all affected would be able to lean on the everlasting arms.

BKE,

Thank you for sharing. I will pray for him. If I were to scan a handwritten message as a jpeg and email it to you, could you print it out and tape it into the card? As a mother of a veteran who came through unscathed, I feel an obligation to support those who didn't.

hey anne,
Our last rescue bulldog, a real favorite of mine, went to live with a young couple who are out of the Marines. They are VERY young (22 years old) but are very mature. If I had to guess their age I'd have guessed 28.

He never got overseas, but he wanted to. Not sure if she was Marine or other service. They are both now going to college, he in HVAC and she in nursing.

bke
11-6-11, 7:19pm
Anne Lee,

That would be GREAT!!! To any of the rest of you who would like to do the same, go for it! So how is the best way to get my email address to you without giving it to everyone on the internet? I'll post it here if that is the best way to go about things.

I got about 40 people from work to sign the card today and have contacted people at the refunding site. Several people have expressed an interest in mail cards to him.

Anne Lee
11-6-11, 8:21pm
bke, I contacted you through the message board. Whatever email you used to sign up with, the message from me will go there.

sallysue
11-6-11, 9:15pm
Stella, I am so sorry to hear about your sister.

danna
11-6-11, 11:52pm
Sending my good thoughts to all and asking for them for my DS (I have posted separately to explain).
I do believe that positive thoughts, prays whatever one believes in does help..

Zoebird
11-7-11, 1:34am
yes, of course, wanna.

bke
11-7-11, 8:44am
Sorry but I didn't have my settings adjusted to recieve your emails. I have reviewed my account and made some changes in order to communicate better. I emailed a couple of you who tried to contact me before. Please don't be discouraged in helping this guy just because I'm a technological failure!

fidgiegirl
11-10-11, 7:53am
I am praying for danna today, and for my sister, who is very unhappy in her job and has been for many years. I hope she has the strength to find a way out soon. It's hard not to be able to do it for her, but of course, that's impossible.

EarthSky
11-13-11, 7:43pm
Sending prayers for all who are listed here. Would also like to request prayers for 'Maria,' her husband and 2 children. She has stage-4 breast cancer, matasticized to bone, but is so positive, full of faith, and has lived months longer than expected. A local woman befriended her, started a foundation, raised quite a bit of money, and, unknown to the family until recently, stole more than half of it. So now they need to deal with the illness, her probable pending death, and missing funds that they were counting on to help defray medical bills. They community will rally around her again, but she does believe in prayer...

Stella
11-13-11, 8:48pm
I'm praying for all of your requests! I've found myself thinking of the friends and family mentioned in this thread often and offering up many prayers.

I want to say a thanksgiving prayer for my grandma-in-law who will be turning 90 years old next week surrounded by family and friends, including us! She's a really sweet lady.

I also want to pray for my great-aunt who we visited today. She's 84 and she's been slowing down quite a bit since a car accident and lyme disease last year. She lives alone in a cabin in the woods so I worry a bit with winter coming on. In a related thank-you her niece-in-law (nephew passed away young) moved into the house next door (well, next door by country standards) so that's one more person to keep an eye on her. I am also thankful for the youngish gay couple who lives nearby who do a lot of her "man work" like wood chopping and putting up an antenna on her roof and other stuff an 84 year old woman would have a hard time doing. Thanks to God for putting such caring people in her life.

Float On
11-13-11, 9:10pm
EarthSky, that is horrible. Praying that the person who stole the money comes to a point in her life where she knows she needs to return it.