PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from California

treehugger
1-13-11, 6:34pm
Hi all. I was mostly a lurker at the old forum, but with the new start, I am feeling compelled to at least introduce myself, even if I still don't post much.

I live in the SF Bay Area with my husband of 14 years, 2 rescued racing greyhounds, and 2 cats. I am a professional treehugger, that is, I work for a global environmental consultant company, and I really enjoy my job.

I have long been interested in simple living in general, and frugality specifically (we first opted out of all xmas gift exchanges 7 years ago, for instance) but these days, due to our own personal recession that has gone on since 2007, I am very much focused on living simply by spending money only on true necessities, cooking from scratch, lowering utility usage, etc.

After spending years dealing with my husband's end-stage renal failure, then diaylsis, then a kidney transplant in December 2009 (I donated to a stranger in PA as part of a chain; DH received from a stranger in the Bay Area), we are now seeing the [still distant] light at the end of a long tunnel. He is healthy, and in school getting his Business Accounting degree; when that is achieved, we will someday be a 2 income couple again. That's when the real work of saving for our future will begin. These days, we are just getting by.

My favorite discussion topics here are about simple living in general, food, frugality, and family and relationships. This has long been one of my favorite places to hang out on the net.

So, that's me. Thanks for reading. See you around! :cool:

Crystal
1-13-11, 8:16pm
Welcome treehugger! And thanks for coming out of your cozy lurker nook. Hope you enjoy the forums and the sense of simple community here.

Kestrel
1-13-11, 9:04pm
Welcome from another Californian, now living in Idaho. DH worked for the Forest Service and Park Service (FAR Northern CA, OR, and WA), so we've been "tree huggers" as well.

winterberry
1-13-11, 10:51pm
Hi, treehugger. What a beautiful dog! It sounds like you have a lot to share with us from your experience.

razz
1-14-11, 8:28am
Welcome and here's wishing that the light at the end of the tunnel illumines brightly soon.

bke
1-14-11, 11:29am
Treehugger-

Don't you have a blog on enviromental issues? Seems to me I've run acrossed it a time or two.

Either way, welcome to the pack. Its nice to have you join us.

freein05
1-14-11, 11:43am
Welcome Treehugger from another Californian. I live due east of you in the Sierra near Big Trees State Park where I volunteer.

treehugger
1-14-11, 12:01pm
Hi and thanks for all the nice welcome messages. Nope, I'm not the blogger you are thinking of (actually, I'm not any sort of blogger). I certainly don't own the "treehugger" title; I just like it. :)

The dog in my avatar is my 5-y-o greyhound, Mandy. She's a princess and a supermodel. ;) That pic was taken in my parents' backyard in Kings Beach (Lake Tahoe).

I *love* Big trees State Park! Haven't been there in so many years, but I will be in Sonora in March. Love getting into the Gold Country.

Mrs-M
1-14-11, 8:11pm
Echoing the welcoming words of everyone else here. Welcome Treehugger!