PDA

View Full Version : Had my abdominal ultrasound, but.....

CathyA
11-2-11, 5:34pm
They couldn't get really good views of things because of all the gas in my GI tract!
And I hadn't eaten or drank anything for about 16 hours! Where the heck does that gas come from? :(
At least what they did see was okay.......part of the pancreas, gall bladder, kidneys and aorta.
I even felt bloated on the way to the test. I think my GI tract is lined with little gas-making bacteria of some sort. I'll start up probiotics again, but they usually give me more gas! Pretty soon, I'll be floating overhead...........
You might see me passing over sometime.........

peggy
11-2-11, 9:09pm
Have you been tested for celiac Cathy? I know you have been asking for gluten free recipes but i don't think you said if you are gluten intolerant or not. Maybe I just missed that. There is a blood test available to see if the antibodies are present for this and if they are then the biopsy can be done to confirm. I'd ask for the blood test cause it's simple, and pretty non-invasive. But if the antibodies are present, my daughter says the biopsy for celiac is not a big deal. They knock you out.
The whole gastric problem thing kind of makes me wonder if you aren't celiac. Even if your doctor doesn't want to test you for this, (and some don't ....go figure!) the 'home test' is pretty simple. Eliminate gluten for about 2-3 weeks and see how you feel. But you have to give it the full 2-3 weeks without gluten of any kind to know. But if he will test you then you need to carry on 'business as usual', gluten and all, or you will screw up the test.
Good luck.

Mrs-M
11-2-11, 9:58pm
CathyA. What form can I expect to see you showing up as? Weather balloon style (shape), or a thinner more streamlined version? And what colour? ROTFLMAO!!! All jokes aside, I'm glad to hear all looks well.

CathyA
11-3-11, 11:17am
LOL Mrs. M.....yes, a weather balloon shape, with a sweatshirt top and jeans on the bottom. hahaha And you'll hear loud burps coming from it........which you may even mistake for an earthquake. :)

Peggy....yes, I was tested a couple years ago and it was negative. But I do know people who seem to have a wheat intolerance who tested negative, but still feel better by avoiding it. I have the feeling its a general intolerance. Also, after taking antibiotics for 2 months after a horrible virus in l995, I truly think my GI tract has its definite limits. Seems when I go over those limits, I develop something like Leaky Gut syndrome.

I am really trying to stick to the GF completely. Oops.....I better check my toothpaste and shampoo too. Oh darn........I've been buying a roasted chicken every week and eating it for lunches, to avoid carbs. I have never read the ingredients, so I'd better do that too. Maybe there's some wheat in the basting sauce. :(

I started really backing off gluten about a month ago, and very seriously about 10 days ago. I'm still bloated alot of the time and have various pains around my colon. I really think its gas production, since its so widespread. I just have to try to figure out why. I started back on probiotics today, so we'll see if that helps.
I have heard of aerophagia from using a CPAP machine, but I can't believe it presents as this much of a GI problem. And as I've mentioned elsewhere, I do think I have a dysfunctional vagus nerve. No doctor ever seems to want to think outside the box though, which is very unfortunate.

My next step was going to be asking my OB/GYN for another Transvaginal ultrasound, to rule out ovarian cancer. I had one less than 2 years ago, so I really doubt that's the problem. Between my fibromyalgia and IBS, they can really send me on wild goose chases. I spend lots of money on all sorts of tests and everything is always normal..............so I'm very hesitant to keep looking. I guess I'll just wait and see now. If I die, then I'll know it wasn't nothing! haha

pinkytoe
11-3-11, 12:50pm
I'm very hesitant to keep looking.
This is my philosophy about standard health "care" even when I seem to have an issue. Doctors will always test to find something. Even if there is nothing, they will come up with some way to make the patient feel they are trying - either a procedure or a test or...in the end, it is usually a goose chase.

Float On
11-3-11, 7:54pm
I'm sorry you aren't getting any clear cut answers.

Mrs-M
11-4-11, 11:00pm
ROTFLMAO, CathyA!

Zoebird
11-4-11, 11:42pm
i'm guessing that your gut colonization is a messy-mess.

i would, personally, get a stool sample tested and talk to a naturopath.

JaneV2.0
11-5-11, 1:42pm
I was thinking naturopath or a physician who's well-versed in causes of problems rather than just treatment of symptoms. (Are there any of those left?). I imagine digestive enzymes would be part of the prescription.

Zoebird
11-6-11, 4:00pm
DH in the process of having his gut recolonized. it starts with a product that breaks down the biofilm that the bacteria make, then you kill those bacteria that are excess with an herbal treatment, and then you recolonize with pre-biotics, then support with pro-biotics.

his doesn't include digestive enzymes. :) but who knows?

oh, and we went paleo -- which is grain free -- which helped a lot! he's also dairy free.

CathyA
11-6-11, 4:56pm
A friend of mine told me about fecal implants! I don't know how common it is though. Sort of like probiotics........but different!

I have to say that things have settled down a fair amount since I've been avoiding wheat, and carbs in general. Not nearly the amount of pain or burping.
I'm actually wondering about sugar. I seem to burp alot when I have that too.
Haven't been able to get to the good health store yet, but when I go, I will be fresher probiotics and yogurt. There's a good book on Amazon about balancing the digestive tract I'm considering ordering. I probably heard about it here.

reader99
11-6-11, 5:11pm
Probiotics have been good for me, as have raw ferments like raw sauerkraut, raw apple cider vinegar and miso. Also Primal Defense from Garden of Life. Personally my body can't handle yogurt, I get tiny cysts in the skin of my face, and my gall bladder clogs up, possibly the naturally occuring hormones in dairy.

lhamo
11-8-11, 5:07am
Cathy,

YOu need to read this article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204554204577023880581820726.html

It is about how specific types of carbohydrates lead to IBS and related conditions in many people. Hope you find it useful.

lhamo

redfox
11-8-11, 8:30am
Wow, in the WSJ no less! Thanks.

CathyA
11-8-11, 9:34am
Thanks lhamo!
I'll check this out. I may even send this article to my gastroenterologist! They don't seem to know much
about important stuff like this!!
Thanks again!

reader99
11-8-11, 9:41am
Cathy,

YOu need to read this article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204554204577023880581820726.html

It is about how specific types of carbohydrates lead to IBS and related conditions in many people. Hope you find it useful.

lhamo

SO extremely excellent! Thank you. I had worked out for myself that I couldn't eat a lot of the foods they mention, and it is great to find out why. They don't mention it, but I also know that when I eat fruits (except berries) my blood sugar goes up noticably.

lhamo
11-8-11, 4:15pm
Wow, in the WSJ no less! Thanks.

I know, I was kind of surprised too -- almost didn't follow the link. I expect stuff like this in the NYT, which has a pretty strong health focus, but not in the WSJ.

I found it really interesting that much of the research on this issue so far has been done in the UK and Australia, not the US. Kind of makes you think about how much our own system, including the science, might be shaped by the big-money interests that keep the carb-o-rama rolling down our highways and into our guts.

lhamo