PDA

View Full Version : $1 A POUND COOKING

Packratona!
11-2-11, 9:52pm
OK all, we have a good list from $1 A POUND thread, now start posting your favorite ways to use those ingredients! Those who posted them in the $1 a Pound thread, can you move them to this thread? Thanks. Let's do a list for Page 1 OK? I'll add your ideas to the list. If you want to put whole recipes below that that's OK too I'll just work on the list. Folks can always look up various recipes on the web using the list too. So everyone check the ingredients list, and start posting! We can figure out how to organize the list after everyone brainstorms, ok?

$1 A POUND RECIPES

Coleslaw: with Lime vinaigrette, Asian style with almonds, ramen noodles, ginger/sesame/orange dressing, etc.
Baked sweet potatoes:
BBQ baked tofu
Baked beans
Spaghetti with homemade meatballs (turkey or chicken)
rice and beans Latin style
Stir-fry rice
Chile con carne (o sin carne)
Fried cabbage
Chinese turkey dumpling made with Nappa cabbage
home-made salad dressing
tossed salad
soups: minestrone, egg drop, lentil, chicken noodle, matzoh ball, spicy garbanzo, Morrocan spiced, potato and onion, pumpkin, vegetable, green pea,
Lentils and rice (middle eastern style)
mashed potatoes and gravy
roasted turkey, chicken
stuffing/dressing
tacos (bean, chicken, turkey,egg and potato)
enchiladas
homemade bread
stuffed cabbage
cake
apple pie
cookies
broccoli and pasta with garlic, oil, and basil
stir fry veggies with chicken or tofu
cornbread/cornbread casserole
Chicken curry over rice
Curried lentils or chickpeas
breaded fried zucchini
Tabouli
falafa
hummus
fried plantains, ripe or green
yuca boiled, in lemon/garlic/olive oil dressing
pancakes
hash browns
oven fried potatoes
baked potatoes with various toppings (chile, steamed broccoli, sour cream, etc.)
omelets
quiches
muffiins
refried beans
crepes with fruit filling
Colcannon, the Irish cabbage/potato dish
Apple crisp
Baked apples
Chicken curry
Eggplant curry
stuffed bell peppers
crepes
french toast
waffles
egg salad
tossed salad
tuna salad
tuna or salmon croquettes
turkey meat loaf
Turkey picadillo (Spanish style "hash")
Arroz con pollo (chicken and rice) or a middle eastern version
Arroz con gandules (rice and beans)
Lo mein/Chinese style noodles
Pumpkin pie
carrot cake
Pumpkin bread
fruit salad
friendship bread
cinnamon rolls
dinner rolls
sweet potato pie
potato salad
black eyed peas and okra
saurkraut (or Asian version)
peanut butter and jelly sandwich
peanut butter cookies
oatmeal cookies
molasses cookies
sugar cookies
pineapple upside down cake
black or pinto bean tacos or tostadas using corn tortillas, topped with shredded cabbage or iceburg lettuce and sour cream, and avocado and/or fresh chopped tomatoes
deviled eggs
hard boiled/pickled eggs
boiled yuca in garlic/olive oil/lemon sauce
creamed frozen green peas, glazed onions, hard-boiled eggs on buttered toast
breakfast tacos made with scrambled eggs, turkey sausage fried with diced potatoes and Mexican spices, and a sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese
breaded, fried zucchini, eggplant
strawberry shortcake made with homemade bisquits and whipped cream
garlic bread (loaf of french, Italian or Cuban, and home-made garlic spread, toasted in oven)
oatmeal with brown sugar or honey, milk
Chinese-style rice breakfast porridge topped with stir-fry cabbage, peanuts, etc.

Bastelmutti
11-2-11, 11:41pm
Here's one meal we had recently:
* BBQ baked tofu - BBQ sauce might not be $1/lb., but other seasonings could be subbed
* Baked sweet potatoes
* Coleslaw made with cabbage, shredded carrot and lime vinaigrette - cabbage is about $0.39/lb. right now and limes anywhere from 10-20/$1 at the ethnic market.
* Lime vinaigrette = oil, lime juice, garlic, sweetener (I use honey, but not $1/lb.), salt and pepper

I also posted a link with many recipes using the $1/lb. ingredients. Great if you love Indian food!
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

Packratona!
11-3-11, 12:59am
I do an Asian coleslaw, with a ginger/orange/sesame oil dressing. I add almonds, orange sections, ramen noodles (uncooked), and some green onions. Also sometimes bean sprouts. The almonds are the only thing that is more than $1 a pound (though I got them free from a relative that dumpster dived a nut plant). I have also done a barbecue tofu but usually just mix it in with Boston style baked beans, it is wonderful that way. Baked sweet potatoes: I learned from a Jamaican friend to bake them with prunes, dried apricots and they are very delicious cooked that way. Also they are good made into oven baked fries. Your link for Indian food looks wonderful! BIG TIP FOR COOKING FRUGALLY: bake traditional foods from other countries! Generally much much cheaper and healthier than what many modern Americans eat! Though a lot of traditional home-cooked American dishes are also very frugal, just have to know what they are.

Marianne
11-3-11, 7:47am
What a coincidence! DS#1 soaked four pounds of chickpeas (!!!) a couple days ago and I made Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup -
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/moroccan-spiced-chickpea-soup-recipe/index.html

Using homemade vegetable stock and home canned tomatoes, we ended up having it twice plus I put 9 qts of it in the freezer yesterday. I also subbed blocks of chopped spinach for the fresh.

Packratona!
11-3-11, 8:09am
Excellent, excellent! I make a "spicy garbanzo soup" that I tried first in a restaurant and then came home and googled. I also use frozen spinach in my minestrone soup if I don't happen to have some fresh greens on hand. And freezing soup is a GREAT idea!

Packratona!
11-3-11, 8:13am
Maybe should move this to cooking thread, anyone can do for me?

Anne Lee
11-4-11, 6:58am
Colcannon, the Irish cabbage/potato dish
Roast apples

Bastelmutti
11-9-11, 6:38pm
Just coming to report back that I tried the eggplant and potato curry on the Indian cooking site I listed above, and it was a hit! Ingredients can easily be tweaked as long as you have the main ones (I didn't have any asafoetida, so I left it out).

Packratona!
11-9-11, 7:55pm
Just coming to report back that I tried the eggplant and potato curry on the Indian cooking site I listed above, and it was a hit! Ingredients can easily be tweaked as long as you have the main ones (I didn't have any asafoetida, so I left it out).

Fantastic! I think I will try that one! Thanks!

Marianne
11-10-11, 8:15am
I also posted a link with many recipes using the $1/lb. ingredients. Great if you love Indian food!
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

I just went to that page, and wow! Lots of recipes there.

Packratona!, that's a pretty impressive list you have going on now!

Packratona!
11-11-11, 3:08pm
Marianne, thanks, still adding to it, just to show that there are lots of choices for $1 a pound eating.

Bastelmutti
11-11-11, 3:19pm
Nice work, Packratona!

I would love a recipe for Arroz con pollo if anyone has one.

Marianne
11-16-11, 2:13pm
I cooked up a pound of black beans, made a pot of salsa (last veggies from the garden this year), added some homemade taco seasoning and garlic. Now it's all simmering in the slow cooker. In a bit I'll cook some rice - Black beans and rice, plenty for supper, plenty of leftovers.

Packratona!
11-19-11, 10:20pm
I cooked up a pound of black beans, made a pot of salsa (last veggies from the garden this year), added some homemade taco seasoning and garlic. Now it's all simmering in the slow cooker. In a bit I'll cook some rice - Black beans and rice, plenty for supper, plenty of leftovers.

Sounds wonderful! I do this often, a tossed salad goes well with this too. Also some green (or ripe) plantains that I fry up and can often get for about 33 cents a pound or even less.

Packratona!
11-19-11, 10:27pm
What I cooked today: Bread pudding, made with 2 loaves of raisin bread I buy at a day-old bakery, cut up and placed in large pan greased with one stick of margarine or butter, then topped with this mixture: 6 eggs, 5 cups non-fat dry milk mixed up (cheaper than fresh and tastes the same when it is used for baking), one can evaporated milk bought on sale for 75 cents a can, one cup sugar (white or brown), 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla. I bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Feeds a crowd, great for pot-lucks.

Packratona!
11-19-11, 10:39pm
Bastelmutti: This is more or less how I make it.

ARROZ CON POLLO
Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 green/red bell pepper, chopped fine
4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups rice
chicken (enough for 4- 6 servings)
1-2 Sazon Goya spice packets (less if less salt is desired)
2 Tbs. Sofrito (purchase frozen if possible or canned if can't find frozen)
6-10 green olives
1 Tbs. capers
1 can pink beans (can omit if desired, or add more if desired) broth included.
one potato peeled and diced
1/4-1/2 tsp. cumin
1-2 tsp. chicken seasoning, or use chicken broth in place of some of the water
3-5 Tbs. olive oil tinted with achiote/annato (heat on low 1 Tbs. achiote in oil for 2-5 minutes until oil is colored, then strain out achiote to remove; discard achiote)
Pepper to taste
5 cups water/chicken broth (adjust amount as needed)

Directions:
Sprinkle chicken with Sazon Goya spice packet and pepper, fry in oil on medium high heat for 15 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken and set aside. Put chopped peppers, onions in oil and fry on medium low heat for 1/2 minute. Add garlic and rice, stir and fry for 1/2 to one minute more. Add rest of ingredients, stir well, place chicken on top and cover pot. After bringing to low boil, turn heat down to low and cook for 15-20 minutes tightly covered. Turn off heat, keep covered until time to serve (steam will continue to soften)