PDA

View Full Version : Cain Looks Kinda Cool ?

heydude
11-4-11, 8:10am
Okay, I do not know much about Cain, but he seems like a good guy?

Romney isn't so bad either, but Romney seems more about the super rich and corporations than anyone else.

Although, the 9 9 9 plan thingy looks kinda dangerous in terms of not having the rich pay more than the poor.

But, at least Cain or Romney are not Bachmann or Perry. Perry just seems like Bush all over again!

CathyA
11-4-11, 8:22am
Well, I guess I have a different opinion of Cain. Seems too arrogant and has a short fuse. And what does he know about anything but pizza business? He doesn't seem to hold himself very "presidentally."
Actually, all the GOP candidates are pretty scary to me (as president).

mtnlaurel
11-4-11, 8:57am
If I were a Republican I would be hopping mad. They could totally crush Obama in 2012 but they can't come up with a homerun person to do it. If someone out there understands it, please explain it.

CathyA
11-4-11, 9:13am
Its all very bizarre mtnlaurel.

iris lily
11-4-11, 9:38am
I like Herman Cain and I just sent off a small donation after the past 3 days of mainstream media bashing. I thought it would be fun if his measures of support went up after all of this attention. The mainstream media has a hard time with black conservatives.

mtnlaurel
11-4-11, 10:01am
I like Herman Cain and I just sent off a small donation after the past 3 days of mainstream media bashing. I thought it would be fun if his measures of support went up after all of this attention. The mainstream media has a hard time with black conservatives.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that Herman Cain is likable.
How in the world though could he be so ill prepared for these Nat. Restaurant Assn. issues to see the light of day?
The reporters are doing what they do, report developing stories, try to find facts. The pundit/opinionators are doing what they do, opinionating.
If a person is running for POTUS and thinks that 2 sexual harassment incidences aren't going to be uncovered and riffled through then I have a piece of ocean front property to sell them in Colorado.
I listen to the lefty news/opinionators (MSNBC) pretty regularly and I have never heard Cain bashed based on the color of his skin -- what I have heard though is him being bashed on his policies and lack of knowledge on world affairs.
Just the same as Bachman and Perry, no different.

reader99
11-4-11, 10:45am
I felt neutral about Cain until I saw the interview clip in which it was clear he was unaware that China is already a nuclear power (since the 60s!). That might be the kind of thing one should find out immediately as soon as one decided to run, supposing he didn't already know it. The fact that he didn't already know it makes me wonder how much interest he as a person has had in world affairs - how much notice he takes of things outside business.

iris lily
11-4-11, 11:23am
...I have never heard Cain bashed based on the color of his skin -- ...t.

Seriously, now, you don't expect that to happen openly and blatantly, do you? If so, I'll sell that ocean front property back to you.

Alan
11-4-11, 11:38am
I felt neutral about Cain until I saw the interview clip in which it was clear he was unaware that China is already a nuclear power (since the 60s!). That might be the kind of thing one should find out immediately as soon as one decided to run, supposing he didn't already know it. The fact that he didn't already know it makes me wonder how much interest he as a person has had in world affairs - how much notice he takes of things outside business.

I always find it interesting to hear other peoples take on something someone said.
Mr. Cain said:

....we already have superiority in terms of our military capability, and I plan to get away from making cutting our defense a priority and make investing in our military capability a priority, going back to my statement: peace through strength and clarity. So yes they’re a military threat. They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat.

Some people rush to believe he meant they were trying to develop a general nuclear or nuclear arms capability, while we all know that they've had both for decades. Others may see that he was talking about developing nuclear powered ships, which they don't currently have.

Maybe the second option would seem more appealing to people if they considered Mr. Cain's background as a mathematician/analyst with the Department of the Navy. It seems he spent part of the Vietnam war evaluating the capabilities of the Chinese to deliver a nuclear weapon onto the heads of our forces in South Vietnam. You know, plotting trajectories and delivery capabilities of available rocketry.

I would bet that Mr. Cain is well aware of China’s nuclear missile capability and,to me, the only reasonable conclusion is that Cain was indeed referring to China’s attempts to develop and sail their first nuclear aircraft carrier and their attempts to develop more dangerous nuclear cruisers.

mtnlaurel
11-4-11, 12:26pm
Seriously, now, you don't expect that to happen openly and blatantly, do you? If so, I'll sell that ocean front property back to you.

I expect when racism is cited that there is evidence to back it up.

If Romney, Perry, Obama, Biden, Bachman - any of them, any party, any race, any gender - had been entangled in a past sexual harassment situation, the media would be on any of them like flies on cow patties. That's media gold right there.

So it must be sexist when Bachman gets racked over the coals and anti-Texan when Perry gets pummeled?

Regarding open racism.....
My husband has often been on the receiving end of blatantly racist email forwards about Obama from various family members, all avowed ditto heads. When I visit my hometown newspaper online in the comment section the prez is referred to as 'Obammy' or 'Obongo'. Now, granted --- all those are people are knuckleheads and mere followers of certain line of thinking not the actual leaders of that thinking. I don't listen to Rush or watch Fox, (although I try them out on occasion so I can better understand where they are coming from, but most of it is like Mars to me), so I don't know what they say in their programming. The snippets I've seen on Ann Coulter on this Cain topic make me want to cry out, 'Will someone please get a sock to put in this woman's mouth, she's sounding so racist while charging racism is at play!"

There are a ton of people in the mushy middle that aren't buying what either polarized side is selling.

heydude
11-4-11, 1:28pm
Oh yes, I wonder if someone will ask to see Cain's birth record.

Rogar
11-4-11, 6:25pm
If I were a Republican I would be hopping mad. They could totally crush Obama in 2012 but they can't come up with a homerun person to do it. If someone out there understands it, please explain it.

Amen! My guess is that becoming president with all the deficit and employment issues is a mighty hot potato. These are things that could go on for a while and who ever is in the driver's seat is going to catch the blame. I had hopes Christie or Michael Bloomberg might run. Or even the CEO of GM. Instead we get a pizza czar.

mtnlaurel
11-4-11, 6:56pm
Speaking of Christie - if you are overweight and ever wondered what your thinner colleagues really think about you, I think the coverage of Christie's girth in the media answers that question for you!

Zoebird
11-4-11, 9:01pm
i agree with the idea that the republicans should be hopping mad.

i felt the same way about palin.

here's the thing. You have this guy running for office who has a shot -- McCain. I think he really did. He's quite the statesman. And then, to balance out clinton and obama's racial specialness, you decide to bring a woman in for back up. Ok, I get that as a strategy.

How many super awesome republican women exist already? I mean, they could have chosen buchman, as an example. at least she has a law degree, worked for government, worked in local and national legislatures (right? I forget if it was one or both). She's good looking, so everything should work out. Vs a journalism major/beauty queen who has had a couple of runs in state executive office? Admittedly, it makes her somewhat well spoken (i still think bachman has palin beat there). So why not pull her into the VP role? What other women are there? I bet there are plenty out there -- plenty of hard working, diligent, republican woman who have "earned their stripes." why palin?

I think it was a misstep, personally.

I think this current situation is just a circus. It used to be i could look at both candidates and really "pro/con" them with ease. I could see how moderate they were in a lot of areas, and it was pretty much just deciding based on the judicial system. Now, it's just damn confusing.

to me, the whole thing seems to be about POWER of a PARTY and not about what will serve the nation best, or even what the people want. Democrats want to WIN and republicans want to WIN.

frustrating as all get out. I don't care who is in office, so long as they are doing what is best for the country, and not arguing or pulling stupid stunts (like verifying "in god we trust"), and whatever else.

but i can't seem to find anyone from any party that seems to do this.

Gregg
11-7-11, 11:10am
Oh yes, I wonder if someone will ask to see Cain's birth record.

Lol. Cain actually said he has one, but so far as I've seen he hasn't produced it for the media. Suspicious?

CathyA
11-7-11, 11:53am
IMHO, McCain was sort of like Cain in that he seemed to have a short fuse if you didn't agree with him. Seems like we need someone as pres who has more patience when dealing with all the other countries. But seriously.........how can a person who has absolutely no experience in the political arena even consider running? I know the economy is what's on everyone's mind right now, but there are a few other issues nationally and globally to worry about.

creaker
11-7-11, 12:21pm
i agree with the idea that the republicans should be hopping mad.

i felt the same way about palin.

here's the thing. You have this guy running for office who has a shot -- McCain. I think he really did. He's quite the statesman. And then, to balance out clinton and obama's racial specialness, you decide to bring a woman in for back up. Ok, I get that as a strategy.

How many super awesome republican women exist already? I mean, they could have chosen buchman, as an example. at least she has a law degree, worked for government, worked in local and national legislatures (right? I forget if it was one or both). She's good looking, so everything should work out. Vs a journalism major/beauty queen who has had a couple of runs in state executive office? Admittedly, it makes her somewhat well spoken (i still think bachman has palin beat there). So why not pull her into the VP role? What other women are there? I bet there are plenty out there -- plenty of hard working, diligent, republican woman who have "earned their stripes." why palin?

I think it was a misstep, personally.

I think it was a very intentional misstep - if McCain was elected, the Republicans would have continued to own the aftermath of the Great Recession. As it was, the blame was shifted to Obama almost as soon as he was sworn in. Which I think had a lot to do with the Republicans taking back the House in 2010.

Maybe it was not intentional, but it seems that losing the 2008 election was a move in the Republican's favor.

Zoebird
11-7-11, 2:42pm
maybe it was.

Gregg
11-8-11, 1:38pm
Sometimes its easier to get elected to office than it is to stay in office. This might be one of those times.

rosebud
11-9-11, 6:41pm
I always find it interesting to hear other peoples take on something someone said.
Mr. Cain said:

Some people rush to believe he meant they were trying to develop a general nuclear or nuclear arms capability, while we all know that they've had both for decades. Others may see that he was talking about developing nuclear powered ships, which they don't currently have.

Maybe the second option would seem more appealing to people if they considered Mr. Cain's background as a mathematician/analyst with the Department of the Navy. It seems he spent part of the Vietnam war evaluating the capabilities of the Chinese to deliver a nuclear weapon onto the heads of our forces in South Vietnam. You know, plotting trajectories and delivery capabilities of available rocketry.

I would bet that Mr. Cain is well aware of China’s nuclear missile capability and,to me, the only reasonable conclusion is that Cain was indeed referring to China’s attempts to develop and sail their first nuclear aircraft carrier and their attempts to develop more dangerous nuclear cruisers.

Right. That's the ONLY logical conclusion given Mr. Cain's overall dismal performance as a presidential candidate. Uzbekistani stan stan indeed. If it is a mistatement, it's a doozy, far worse than a simple slip of the tongue. It shows an incredible lack of clarity, as does his stance on abortion. Frankly, the man is not a deep thinker. He's all schtick. 999 is a joke which accountants and economists have shown to favor millionaires over the middle class (great: my tax bill goes up and the tax bill for someone making ten times my salary goes down. Significantly. Just. What. Our. Society. Needs. Desperately. NOT.). In any case, he's toast.

Despite the contrariness of the GOP base (which in a knee flex manner seems to brand all women leveling accusations against Republican male candidates as liars, politically motivated, corrupt or insane), this ain't going away, nor should it. How many women can his campaign smear for coming forward? The issue is not the motivation of these women, but the truth of the allegations. A group like the NRA is not going to throw thousands of bucks to shut up two women for NO reason at all. Interesting that not a single other candidate has any of these sorts of allegations leveled against him. Occams Razor: The simplest explanation is that Herman Cain simply did sexually harrass these women.

Herman Cain is of no consequence and will fade away into oblivion very soon. Unfortunately the ugly attitudes about women and the contempt with which some people treat the issue of sexual harrassment will not go away soon enough. How would you like it if some man acted like this toward your wife or daughter, mother or sister? Consider that. That is the outrage. That men like Herman Cain go through life behaving in this way and suffer few consequences.

puglogic
11-9-11, 7:30pm
+1

Alan
11-9-11, 7:55pm
Right. That's the ONLY logical conclusion given Mr. Cain's overall dismal performance as a presidential candidate. Uzbekistani stan stan indeed. If it is a mistatement, it's a doozy, far worse than a simple slip of the tongue. It shows an incredible lack of clarity, as does his stance on abortion. Frankly, the man is not a deep thinker. He's all schtick. 999 is a joke which accountants and economists have shown to favor millionaires over the middle class (great: my tax bill goes up and the tax bill for someone making ten times my salary goes down. Significantly. Just. What. Our. Society. Needs. Desperately. NOT.). In any case, he's toast.

Despite the contrariness of the GOP base (which in a knee flex manner seems to brand all women leveling accusations against Republican male candidates as liars, politically motivated, corrupt or insane), this ain't going away, nor should it. How many women can his campaign smear for coming forward? The issue is not the motivation of these women, but the truth of the allegations. A group like the NRA is not going to throw thousands of bucks to shut up two women for NO reason at all. Interesting that not a single other candidate has any of these sorts of allegations leveled against him. Occams Razor: The simplest explanation is that Herman Cain simply did sexually harrass these women.

Herman Cain is of no consequence and will fade away into oblivion very soon. Unfortunately the ugly attitudes about women and the contempt with which some people treat the issue of sexual harrassment will not go away soon enough. How would you like it if some man acted like this toward your wife or daughter, mother or sister? Consider that. That is the outrage. That men like Herman Cain go through life behaving in this way and suffer few consequences.

I think this is why normal people should stay away from politics. I can't think of any other profession which causes so many followers to abandon reason in favor of a preferred narrative.

bae
11-9-11, 8:19pm
I think this is why normal people should stay away from politics. I can't think of any other profession which causes so many followers to abandon reason in favor of a preferred narrative.

I ran for, and won, an elected position in yesterday's election. The barrier-to-entry even for local positions is pretty high, by the time you file all of the required registration, financial disclosure and campaign finance paperwork, even if that's all the campaigning effort you put in. It is clearly designed to keep normal citizens from dipping their toe in the pool.

mtnlaurel
11-10-11, 12:35am
I ran for, and won, an elected position in yesterday's election. The barrier-to-entry even for local positions is pretty high, by the time you file all of the required registration, financial disclosure and campaign finance paperwork, even if that's all the campaigning effort you put in. It is clearly designed to keep normal citizens from dipping their toe in the pool.

Congrats Bae!

peggy
11-10-11, 9:15am

But I don't think we necessarily want 'average' people in positions of power. Personally I want people who, number one are honest, and 2, can navigate difficult, involved processes. If you have the ability to juggle several balls in the air while stacking bee bee's with your toes, you can join the circus, so to speak. Leaders, on the local and national level, have to be able to think of, and work on, more than one thing at a time. Unfortunately on the national level, you usually have an army of thinkers to do these difficult tasks for you. But fortunately, these people have to open their mouths and debate eventually, and the truth of their abilities comes out.
Locally, the abilities are more apparent as they have to do this all themselves.
Congratulations!

rosebud
11-14-11, 1:49am

That is a ridiculous thing to say. I did not make up a narrative. WOMEN, real live, breathing, thinking, feeling sentient beings not of my creation have come forward to inform us of wrongdoing by this candidate. Do most people sexually harrass their coworkers? This is not a little pecadillo, this is a huge character flaw, it betrays an attitude of disrespect and entitlement, and an inability to conform his behavior to social norms. These are not traits we want in a national leader. We looked the other way with Bill Clinton and look what happened during his presidency. We have a lot of problems in this country that need to be solved, and we need a leader who isn't a circus act.

And you act as if I made ##@ up. I didn't make up this stuff. HE said stupid things. His campaign is a disaster. This is a presidential race. It is not for amateurs.

BTW, I have experience in local politics and the folks who have been elected to our city commission are very normal, average people, not millionaires, or geniuses or little cogs in a vast political machine. If you can't figure out how to fill out campaign forms you probably don't have the intelligence to make the kinds of decisions that affect other people's lives, so I'm quite sure that the barriers to running for office are reasonable at least on the local level. It is hard work, and I have to give credit to people who run for office because you have to put yourself out there. But if you do put yourself out there, be prepared for scrutiny.