PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Food Gifts

fidgiegirl
11-5-11, 7:28pm
I am thinking of maybe only doing a food gift this year, same one for every couple on DH's side.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/frerj/DSC05097.jpg

Different, memorable and easy enough for the cook. I could even gift it parbaked or frozen so they don't have to eat it all up right away if they don't want.

How about you?

Anne Lee
11-5-11, 8:59pm
It looks wonderful! DH usually does peanut clusters.

I am going to give chocolate and coffee ordered from a fair trade site.

frugal-one
11-5-11, 10:17pm
That looks wonderful! Is is difficult to make?

Juds
11-5-11, 10:38pm
Everyone always get fudge. I think that it is boring, but they really like it. They are all getting homemade soap, as well. It is sort of expected and since it is inexpensive to make, they can have all they want.

Several friends are also getting aprons that I designed, and some knitted or crocheted wash cloths and everyone gets ornaments that I made from the paper from hundred year-old books, although those are not food related.

Merski
11-6-11, 7:10am
I make cranberry-orange walnut biscotti each year and my friends and family love it. We also got a larger coffee roaster this year to replace our cannot-be-fixed one and DH may also roast batches of coffee beans for gifts as well also a very big hit.
We also make great bread and have a surplus of jam and jelly that we made. For some reason, most of our friends don't make bread. I also found that the cranberry bread recipe on the bag of fresh ocean spray cranberries is also delish!

Simpler at Fifty
11-6-11, 9:55am
@merski would you post your recipe for the biscotti? DH loves if and I like to try different ones.

Simpler at Fifty
11-6-11, 9:56am
Several people at work are making vanilla for gifts. It needs a couple months before it is ready to use but you could always start it now and just give directions on how to finish it off. I might start some next year in October for a few friends.

fidgiegirl
11-6-11, 10:50am
@Simpler at Fifty, I have wanted to try that one, but no one I know really bakes enough for it to be a good gift for anyone. Maybe next year I'll do some and then give it for small birthday gifts to those who might enjoy it. Trent at The Simple Dollar (http://thesimpledollar.com) had good instructions last year.

@frugal-one, not sure. I have made cinnamon rolls before and then were not hard, just putzy. I imagine this is the same, just forming a different shape.

Merski
11-6-11, 11:31am
If I can get DH to do it I will list recipe.

Nella
11-6-11, 4:31pm
I make sea-salt caramel candy that's always a big hit!

Rosemary
11-6-11, 5:09pm
I've made a yeast bread ring similar to the photo before, with a cranberry-pecan filling. It is just a different shape - no more difficult.

Food gifts I've given - biscotti, bread (yeast, sweet, quick), cookies, homemade mulling spices (smelled fabulous, with whole spices - beautiful to look at, too), granola (for some reason people think it is difficult to make!), homemade whole grain pancake mix (with a bottle of real maple syrup)...

I've made vanilla for myself before. Pretty easy, but it definitely was not as concentrated in the vanilla flavor as commercial pure vanilla extract.

fidgiegirl
11-6-11, 5:59pm
I like the pancake idea, too. I think DH has done that in the past.

Granola is a good one. We have a recipe from the White Gull Inn in Door County, WI. DH's family is nuts over their stuff; that would also make a good gift for any of them.

That reminds me that if we are doing contributions to Thanksgiving again this year that I might make a White Gull Inn coffee cake. Very delicious and very naughty.

Blackdog Lin
11-10-11, 8:11pm
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm working on the perfect "soup in a jar" for this year. I've found lots of good-sounding recipes online, but my personal goals for this are (1) calling for only 2 other ingredients, plus water and the jar contents; and (2) gotta be delicious; and (3) not have so many grains that with all the water needed it makes 2 gallons of soup; and (4) it's gotta fit into a pint jar (partly because of reason #3, partly 'cause that's what I have on hand).

I am very close, but still need to tweak it a bit. I joked in the other thread that DH was gonna get sick of this soup, 'cause I have to keep experimenting with it.

I ADORE gifting like this. It seems both so frugal and so personal. What is more a "gift of love" than something you've worked on from your kitchen, something to nurture both the body and the soul? It seems to me that gifts from our kitchens really embody the spirit of what Christmas should mean.

Float On
11-10-11, 9:44pm
That looks beautiful and I'm wondering how to get on your christmas list! lol

I remember one year a lady at camp made braided bread for everyone for a gift, but she did something to them for them to be a display item not a food item. I didn't really see the point of making bread you couldn't eat and one of the directors actually tried to cut into his loaf.

Maxamillion
11-11-11, 8:28am
I'm thinking about making gougeres. It's a French puff pastry roll with gruyere cheese in it. Even though it's French, I think I'm going to add some minced garlic, Italian herbs, and parmesan cheese on top to make it festive-looking.

puglogic
11-11-11, 9:43am
Last year I made blackberry-ginger balsamic vinegar and it was a hit. Might do that again this year with different flavorings - easy and delicious.

Merski
11-11-11, 5:11pm
Orange-Almond Buiscotti

Grease & Flour Cookie Sheet

Preheat oven to 350
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cups coarse chopped almonds

Mix all dry ingredients. Make a well and add: 3 lightly beaten eggs (I usually use 4 eggs)
1 Tbs oil
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp orange extract

Mix all ingredients with fork or fingers until a ball forms.
Divide ball in half. Form each into cylinders about 1” high, 2 1/2” wide and 8” long. Bake 30-35 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool 15 minutes. Slice into 1/2” slices and put on cookie sheet and return to 350 oven for about 15 minutes. Turn over halfway through. Aim for hard on outside and chewy on inside.

Variation: Orange-Cranberry
zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/4 cup shopped walnuts
scant 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries (if cranberries are sweetened cut back on sugar)

One trick I have is to stand the biscotti up on the cookie sheet so I don't have to turn them over for the second baking. These freeze very well. Enjoy!

peggy
11-11-11, 6:36pm
I always make fudge and sugar plums. I think I'll add fruit cake this year. I love fruit cake.

Merski
11-11-11, 8:07pm
Nella, would you share your sea-salt caramel recipe??