PDA

View Full Version : lizii

lizii
11-6-11, 2:25am
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself and tell you a bit about myself.

I am Canadian, divorced, mother of 4, grandma of 9, and my first great great grandchild is due in late February. I am 80 years old, healthy, strong...

I love children, dogs, history, travel, reading, and especially enjoy my computer. I stayed home to raise my family, was married before the Pill was available, am happy to be living alone, rent a beautiful, large apartment just a block away from the Pacific Ocean. I was born during the Great Depression, remember WW2, so you can see I have a lot of information to tell you about the way the world was compared to now.

Wildflower
11-6-11, 5:40am
lizii, I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were. What a pleasant surprise to find you here when I logged on today! :) So glad you joined the new forums. Looking forward to reading your posts!

Marianne
11-6-11, 6:27am
Welcome!

leslieann
11-6-11, 7:08am
Hi, lizii,

I remember you from the old forums. It is great to see you here.

Rosemary
11-6-11, 7:08am
welcome back!

iris lily
11-6-11, 7:12am
lizii, I saw your two earlier posts and wondered if you were OUR lizii, but didn't want to inquire because if it was another person that would make them feel bad.

But glad to see you here!

CathyA
11-6-11, 7:19am
Are you the lizii who had to go to the hospital and your son took care of your dog?
If not, welcome!
If so, welcome back!!
I'm looking forward to hearing all your stories about the past!

cdttmm
11-6-11, 8:08am
welcome back, lizii!!!

Bastelmutti
11-6-11, 8:13am
Hi, lizii! Good to hear you're still going strong!

Sad Eyed Lady
11-6-11, 9:09am
Welcome back! Look forward to reading posts from you long and interesting life!

Stella
11-6-11, 9:56am
Welcome back Lizii!

Heidi
11-6-11, 10:16am
We missed you! so glad to have you back! I remember you had difficulty getting in and around your apartment. This must be a new place you live in now. So good to hear from you.

libby
11-6-11, 10:58am
It's great that you're back! You've been missed! How are you doing? Give us an update on yourself if you can.

chrisgermany
11-7-11, 4:32am
How nice to have you back here!

happy with less
11-7-11, 11:57am
Hi Lizii, I too, was thinking about you recently and have been wondering what has been happening with you. I have to say, you are one of the most interesting senior people I've met in the virtual world. I look forward to your shared thoughts again. :)

lizii
11-9-11, 1:04am
Hi again, I can't find where I started to tell you about my life during the Depression or WW2, but think I ended up with my memories during WW2. I was born in December 1930, so I've seen many changes since then...

During the war we were rationed as far as food and clothing in order to provide for our brave soldiers, airmen and sailors. Each person was given a ration book to buy enough food for the following week, which my mother took with her to buy bread, meat, vegetables, etc. at various stores such as the butcher, baker, etc. We soon learned how to make our own clothes by sewing them with a needle and thread, passing them on to a younger brother or sister when we had grown out of them, and then saving the rags to use for cleaning our homes. Speaking about homes, I kept my own home spotless, especially when my kids were at the crawling stage I would fill a pail of hot water and soap flakes to scrub them every day by getting down on my hands and knees to scrub them with a scrub brush and then rinse them off using a pail of clean water and a rag. I actually enjoyed housework, believe it or not!

Canada has always been a nation that welcomes immigrants, usually from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, all white people, who spoke the same language we do, looked much the same as we do, etc., so just imagine my surprise when |I saw people with dark skin, yellow skin, even red skin (our native Indians), along with black or brown eye colour, black hair, etc. I began seeing living amongst us...

We had a rag and bone man who went around in horse and a cart to gather the rags and bones our mothers had saved for the war effort, which I still don't know how they did that...a Sihk who grew vegetables on his property to sell, the victory gardens which encouraged us to grow our food in, the potatoes my father grew in our front yard, the ducks, pheasants, deer and moose he hunted and brought home for us to eat, plucking feathers, etc.

lizii
11-11-11, 2:08am
more...there was no TV, no computers...the first one I saw was huge and was kept in a small room with the heat regulated so it wouldn't burn out. No birth control, people believed that it was the female who was responsible for the sex of their children (Henry VIII anyone?) There were only 3 options for women to earn money--nursing, housekeeping for others, or working in an office. Once my children had graduated from highschool, I was bored from not being busy, so I decided to go to college in my early 40s. My first class was in English literature, then political science, history, sociology, psychology, to graduate. By then I knew that my marriage was over, so I returned to college to learn how to type, write Pitman shorthand, and bookkeep.

more later...

Spartana
11-17-11, 2:55pm
Welcome back Lizii - I am really enjoying reading your posts about growing up during WWII and as a child during the depression. My Mom immigranted thru Canada (Toronto) before coming the the states in the early 1950's. She lived and worked there for a year, loved Canada and said Toronto was always her favorite city.

lizii
11-18-11, 2:32am
Hi Spartana,

Nice to hear from you too!

I have many more stories to tell, but have to gather my thoughts first. Back later...

Wildflower
11-18-11, 3:20am
I love hearing your stories, lizii.

Heidi
11-18-11, 1:21pm
Thanks for sharing your life stories with us. I also love hearing them.

Bastelmutti
11-18-11, 3:10pm
I think we tend to forget about the rationing. Although much younger, I got to see this first-hand in the Soviet Union in the 80s. Thank you for sharing!

catherine
11-18-11, 3:33pm
Yes, keep the chapters coming! So interesting to hear how things have changed! How brave of you to go off to college after your children were grown! My MIL was a homemaker her whole life, and after her husband died, leaving her with a 12 year old and 3 year old, she still didn't feel that she could go out and pursue a career. She finally found her passion when she was in her SIXTIES--about to retire, and Macy's (where she had worked as a clerk since her husband had died), asked her to run for VP of the retail-workers union. She LOVED being an advocate for the working people, and she always said that she wished she had done it earlier.

Women had a lot of hidden talents back then, didn't they!