PDA

View Full Version : Would You Rather (Game) ? KEEP IT GOING!

heydude
11-6-11, 7:00am
Let us play a forum game called "Would You Rather?"

Answer the question above and then post your own question.

You may also post comments/answers to any interesting questions you see along the way....as long as you answer the post immediately above you as well.

Would You Rather... time retirement just right but die kinda sooner or live longer but not actually have enough money to live on.

iris lily
11-6-11, 7:13am
Dying sooner is ok with me. I don't want to live a long life.

razz
11-6-11, 1:59pm
Interesting, I would rather die sooner as well. I have lived a truly wonderful life so far.
My question is simpler.
Would you rather buy all your groceries each month and be free to move or fill up your freezer/pantry and worry what you will do when you move?

loosechickens
11-6-11, 3:07pm
HAH.....I can just fill up my freezer and pantry, and when it comes time to move, we just move the house right along with the food, hahahahaha......

I'll have to think of a question of my own for awhile....nothing comes to mind at the moment......

Zoebird
11-6-11, 3:45pm
for the first question -- i have no plans on retiring because i do work that i love and so I'll probably earn a living at it for a long time. Pattabi Jois, for example -- who was in his 80s when he passed -- died of an infection in under a week, and had been teaching the week before. He did go to the hospital, he did get treatment, he opted to die at home. Good for him.

for the second question -- i buy weekly because i don't eat things that "keep." so I don't' have a full pantry, ever. I do have things 'put by' -- or I attempt to do this -- but we usually end up eating them. For example, I like making pickles. and sometimes they stay around for months and sometimes they don't. :D But it's not connected to moving. I would either A. move the food or B. find homes for it.

Would you rather have a bit of your own land to cultivate or join the community garden?

Mrs-M
11-6-11, 5:01pm
Life without comfort doesn't interest me (at all). My answer is, "die sooner but live more freely and be able to afford". Same goes for good health. Sure, one can live till they are in their triple digits, but if you don't have good solid health, mobility, a sharp mind, and are plagued by illness, sickness, and pain, then what good is longevity. Neh, I'd much sooner wave goodbye to this life, ten (or more) years sooner, than live miserably, just to say I made it to ninety or a hundred.

Float On
11-6-11, 5:02pm
I would rather have my own land. Sometimes I "don't play nice with others" when they don't pull their weight. I'm anxious to move back to the family farm. My little 1/2 acre of rock just doesn't fill my wants, needs, desires.

I'll probably work till I die due to being married to an artist.
I miss being able to shop once a week and having it last a week, and I miss having the pantry full, and I miss having the freezer full. I just can't keep up with 2 teenager's appitites and the fact that food seems to cost 3x what it did 16 years ago.

For transportation would you rather buy a truck, a car, a bike, or a new pair of tennis shoes?

iris lily
11-6-11, 7:20pm
Would you rather have a bit of your own land to cultivate or join the community garden?

neither, haha, I'd rather have my own community garden, I'm finding that is a really fabulous deal here in my city. I lease public land for $1 annually and they deliver free mulch and compost. Baby, that is the best of both worlds, no sharing necessary.

puglogic
11-6-11, 8:01pm
For transportation would you rather buy a truck, a car, a bike, or a new pair of tennis shoes?

I'd rather buy a (super-high-MPG) car at this juncture, as I have the rest of them covered :D

Would you rather live in the city, where you can get around so much more easily, or live in the country with more land, so you can use it for sustainable living stuff (like growing a big garden, wind power, etc.)?

Anne Lee
11-6-11, 8:24pm
I'd rather live in the city.

Would you rather buy organic or local?

Zoebird
11-6-11, 8:36pm
i just bought a car, and probably won't buy a bike, though i love the idea, and i try to walk it as much as possible. :D

i'd rather live in the city and utilize community gardens -- either iris lily style or communal style. I like the support of other gardeners.

i'd rather buy local, then organic. which is what we do anyway. (right now we do both).

Sad Eyed Lady
11-6-11, 9:15pm
I had rather buy local so I am getting the freshest taste.

Would you rather go back and do it all again, or accept the pass and go on from here?

AnneM
11-6-11, 9:19pm
I would rather buy local and organic!

Would you rather have a dog or a cat?

iris lily
11-6-11, 9:29pm
Would you rather go to thrift stores and randomly find stuff in your size and to your taste but taking a lot of your own time, or would you rather pay more on EBAY and have bigger selection (and still 2nd hand?)

heydude
11-6-11, 11:27pm
TENNIS SHOES! ( i just did a ton of walking too many stores today!!! Once you go car lack, you ain't never go back!).

ACCEPT THE PAST! (i have learned many valuable lessons by making mistakes and am able to make my future better because of changing how I live moving forward. There is no such thing as perfection so I suspect fixing some "mistake" in the past would only open up the door for new mistakes that were never made. WAIT, maybe it would be cool to have new mistakes made! hehe).

This ebay/thrift store is a tricky one! I like the big selection of ebay but it is so hard to know until you try it on and feel it, see it in person!

Marianne
11-7-11, 7:27am
What fun!
I'd rather live in the country, buy local and grow organic. I have to opt for the pickup. I don't stray too far from home very often, but most of the time I need a truck vs using a car.

Would you rather buy a used car (cheaper but uses more gasoline) or a new hybrid (not so cheap)?

razz
11-7-11, 7:33am
Well, I would rather have a dog than a cat for all the walking that I do on our country property and it keeps me fit.
i would rather have a good used car than a new and use the money that I have saved (about half the purchase price) to do all the other interests in my life and less stress about payment.

Would you rather have a salad or soup for lunch?

iris lily
11-7-11, 10:42am
Well, I would rather have a dog than a cat for all the walking that I do on our country property and it keeps me fit.
i would rather have a good used car than a new and use the money that I have saved (about half the purchase price) to do all the other interests in my life and less stress about payment.

Would you rather have a salad or soup for lunch?

Salad, especially if someone else makes it. I can't get enough vegetables.

I'd rather live in the city and do urban homesteading.

Would you rather have a nice interior of your home or a nice exterior (garden, patio, etc.)

madgeylou
11-7-11, 11:58am
Would you rather have a nice interior of your home or a nice exterior (garden, patio, etc.)

i'd rather have both, but if i have to pick one i'll choose a nice interior. i can always go to a park or conservatory for my fix of natural beauty.

would you rather be a little chubby with an attractive face, or have a "hot bod" and an average looking face?

Gardenarian
11-7-11, 5:53pm
Okay - I'd rather die sooner than live a miserable old age; prefer to own my land (the community garden is just not enough!); I'd want an electric-assist bike for these San Francisco hills (though that's a hard call; I would love to have a pick-up); buy local; accept the past (be 14 again? never!); thrift stores over Ebay everytime; used car (not hybrid); salad sounds good!; nice exterior; rather be a little chubby.

Would you rather: work 3 days / 10 hours per day OR work 5 days / 6 hours per day?

Zoebird
11-7-11, 9:00pm
5x6. i just work better that way. :)

would you rather be a little cold or a little hot?

Marianne
11-8-11, 6:56am
3 ten hour days, more days off.
and since I'm rather chilly right now, I'd rather be a little hot!

Coffee or tea?

iris lily
11-8-11, 8:13am
3 ten hour days would suit be beutifully!

coffee,

chilled.

jp1
11-9-11, 9:50pm

Neither, I'd rather spend $21/week and have my CSA grow a nice box of veggies for me and then spend my time on finding fun and tasty recipes in which to use them.

Stacy
11-9-11, 10:42pm
Would you rather: work 3 days / 10 hours per day OR work 5 days / 6 hours per day?

I'd rather work 3 days/10 hours per day to get it out of the way and have a nice 4 day weekend. Also, commuting costs would be less.

Would you rather live a minimalist life where you get things as you need them, or a self-sufficient life where you need to keep lots of supplies on hand?

Stacy
11-9-11, 10:44pm
And to answer the next two questions: A little cold, because I can always throw on a sweater! And coffee!

Zoebird
11-9-11, 11:31pm
tea and minimalist!

would you rather have a self-imposed uniform or a wide variety of clothing to wear?

Marianne
11-10-11, 6:45am
Self sufficient life and variety of clothes! Mostly because I hate it when someone who doesn't even know me tells me what I have to do. In reality, anything I grab out of the closet will work.

Would you rather have a newer car with a monthly payment, or drive an old beater that's paid off?

Spartana
11-10-11, 4:43pm
Would You Rather... time retirement just right but die kinda sooner or live longer but not actually have enough money to live on.

Well, having retired at 42 on a small income, I bet you can guess my answer :-)!! I think that you can adjust your circumstances to match your income and be happy and fulfilled and have everything you need in life. Working for 20 or 30 more years wouldn't have guareented that my income would have grown or that I could have lived long enough to reap the rewards - might have lost everything if the market crashed, might have become ill or had an accident and died or went into a nursing home before retirering, etc... So I'm a firm believer in doing what it is you want to do (quit work early in my case) and hope for the best. If I hadn't the money to retire at that age, then I still would have quit my professional job and did something seasonally or part time to earn any amount I needed to make up. I also would have considered doing things like getting a roommate, downsizing my housing, moving to a less expensive part of the country, renting an apt - or even a room - to be able to follow my dreams. Life's short enough as it is to be doing something you don't want to be doing with the hope of a pay off in the distant future! Make it happen NOW!

Spartana
11-10-11, 4:47pm
for the second question -- i buy weekly because i don't eat things that "keep." so I don't' have a full pantry, ever.

Ditto to the first question - sometimes shop everyday.

Neither to the second question - would rather have someone else do the "labor" and pay cash for the food. But if I couldn't do that I would rather join a community garden because I don't want to own land - although I don't like to work with other people either so maybe owning a tiny piece of land would be better.

Spartana
11-10-11, 4:53pm
Tennis shoes. Bike for longer trips.
City living in a small apt
local foods rather than organic
Do over on some things (would have stayed in the coast guard, would not have gotten married, would not have bought house) things turned out OK thou..
dog
thrift store
used car (compact thou)
salad
nice interior
hot bod/average face (because I equate "hot bod" with physically fit and I want to be physically fit more than look good )
3 - 10 hour days
cold
tea
minimalist
paid for beater (if it was nice, clean and ran really well- no rust buckets or constant break downs otherwise new but inexpensive Hyuandai Accent)
Uniform
Fiction (except science related topics - then non-fiction)

would you rather stay at a budget motel and be able to stay/vactaion longer or an expensive one but have a shorter stay/vacation?

Gardenarian
11-10-11, 5:06pm
Tea (I have a cup right here).
Self-sufficient or minimalist? Hmm - a bit of both.

Would you rather read fiction or non-fiction?

ApatheticNoMore
11-10-11, 5:16pm
No I could never do 10 hour days, 8 pushes my will as is. I've worked 5 6 hour days before. It was *IDEAL*. You don't really care about long weekends one way or other when you are working that schedule because you actually have adequate time, you don't walk around in a state of being chronically "hungry" for time as it were.

goldensmom
11-10-11, 7:37pm
Okay, I get it and excellent Spartana, what a memory. I'd rather read non-fiction.

Peanut butter, crunchy or smooth?

reader99
11-10-11, 8:07pm
Interesting thread.

short healthy life
moped (which I;m actually planning to buy - I can't keep my old car going much longer)
crunchy
interior
paid for
fiction
cat
tea

Zoebird
11-12-11, 5:09am
stay longer in budget accommodation -- so long as it is clean accommodation. we do hostels here -- it's awesome. :)

i mostly read non-fiction. i just noticed that is the case. i love fiction, though, but i mostly read non-fiction.

i don't eat peanut butter, but i prefer crunchy when i eat any kind of nut butter.

"grow where you are planted" or "roots and wings?"

Marianne
11-12-11, 7:08am
I guess I'm a 'grow where you are planted' person now, or at least in reality. In a fantasy life, it's 'wings' all the way. :o)

Off the grid, but having to haul water by the bucket or pay for the convenience of flipping a switch and turning a tap?

Fawn
11-12-11, 9:37pm
Hot running water
minimalist
coffee
shoes (after I retire. must have car until then--so hybrid)
do not mind if my life is long or short, rich or poor--but I do not want to be dependant on others for my activities of daily living

All costs being equal, would you rather your cottage/house boat be on fresh water or salt?

Zoebird
11-14-11, 2:51pm
i would probably say salt, as I like harbors. i live on one, but not in a boat on one. :D

snow or temperate in winter?

Zoebird
11-14-11, 2:52pm
honestly, off grid with tap (which is possible!), but i prefer to have the running water. :)

Stacy
11-14-11, 7:22pm
snow or temperate in winter?

Snow! I'm a cold-weather person. I like to snuggle inside during the winter.

Zoebird
11-14-11, 7:31pm
it's funny, I lived in a place where it snowed and loved it. Here, it's mostly wet, so the cold clings to you, even though it's not that cold all things considered. And the wind is intense. So imagine it being wet and chilly, but not cold as in snow/dry/cold, and then the WIND goes and goes and goes and goes and goes and goes and goes. That's wellington in winter.

I would prefer snow or it being MORE temperate. LOL

Marianne
11-15-11, 7:37am
I'll take the more temperate winters. We're having a really nice autumn for a change and it's nice not to be hauling tons of firewood into the house.

Would you rather live in the mountains or flatlands?

iris lily
11-15-11, 9:08am
Flatlander here, not gonna change that.

Antiques or sleek modern?

Marianne
11-16-11, 7:26am
Antiques for me. There's a sense of history that I find appealing. Oh, and from way back - I'll take the do-over in my life and hope I make a few better decisions!

Brussel sprouts or a frosted sugar cookie?

iris lily
11-16-11, 9:48am
Most of the time: brussel sprouts.

Malfoy or Weasley?
Mick or Keith?
rice or potatoes?

Marianne
11-16-11, 2:07pm
LOL
I had to ponder that for a bit before it all sunk in! I'll take Weasley, neither Mick nor Keith and spuds.

And I'll leave those questions for anyone else who wants to post! LOL

Gardenarian
11-16-11, 7:14pm
Pb has to be smooth, chunky is just yucky.
I am a nomad trying to be a "grow where you're planted" person.
I'm not sure about the hauling water. How far would I have to haul it? A pump in the yard would be okay, maybe.
No snow for me. (It would be nice to have a week of snow at Christmas and then to have it all go away.)
Flatlands or mountains??? I can't decide!
I really love mid-century modern design, but antiques (or almost-antiques) are a lot easier to find in thrift stores, and go better with my house.
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite foods.
Weasley!
Paul :-)
Potatoes.

Would you rather have turkey for Thanksgiving, or something different?

Fawn
11-16-11, 9:04pm
Mountains
Potatoes
No Keith or Mick--Rob Thomas

Cats or fresh flowers in the house?
Wine, beer or whiskey?
Rake the leaves or plant flowers?
Get married or give birth?

iris lily
11-16-11, 9:37pm
Paul :-)

Oh you Paul girls, he is so bland. :D

India rather than turkey BUT I must have stuffing cooked inside the turkey.

iris lily
11-16-11, 9:38pm
I had to look up Rob Thomas, I didn't even know who he was. I am old and uncool.

iris lily
11-16-11, 9:40pm
CATS! gotta have cats
WINE! gotta have wine
Plant flowers. All the time. Iris 'n lilies.
Married is as close as I would ever get to that picket fence thing. Even when I contemplated getting a kid (for about 3 days one time in 1997), even then, I would have adopted.

Spartana
11-17-11, 1:43pm
Mountains (see pics of where I used to live on the housing board under "Cougar Annie" thread)
Simple antiques (i.e. Shaker style)
Frosted sugar cookies - MANY MANY frosted sugar cookies!!
Mick's money, Keith's bad-boy personallity, rob Thomas' looks (and voice)
Rice (steamed white)
smooth pb
nomad
cats
whiskey
leaves
married

Would you rather have a stay at a luxury resort/spa, on a cruise ship, an adventure trip, or laying on a beach with a Mai Tai?

Gardenarian
11-17-11, 4:02pm
fresh flowers - I'm mortally allergic to cats.
I'll have a beer!
I actually really like raking leaves - we don't get many here but I rake a lot of pine needles. (I've been doing a lot of digging lately so I'm a little off planting.)

Get married or give birth? Get married first, then give birth. It's all in the planning.

An adventure trip - though not crazy adventure. I'd love to hike the whole John Muir trail.

Zoebird
11-17-11, 4:18pm
adventure trip, but not extreme.