PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of buying previously owned items

mtnlaurel
11-6-11, 11:16am
Other than letting the first owner of an item take the hit for that items' almost instant depreciation in value, here is another thing I love about buying good used things....

On clothes, you can tell if the item washes well!

There is nothing that burns me up more than to spend money on clothing and not have it stand up to multiple washes. I just can't stand piled, dull looking clothing. When you are lucky to find clothes at consignment or thrift that are well constructed you know you can get some more mileage out of them.

Other than obvious $ part what are other reasons you like buying used things?

herbgeek
11-6-11, 11:47am
You also know with clothing that its not going to shrink. :)

iris lily
11-6-11, 12:25pm
I also like the softness of previously washed clothing.

Older stuff, just that made 10 years ago, is often better quality.

sweetana3
11-6-11, 1:19pm
The furniture we got was well constructed and will last another 30-50 years. I got 6 pieces of Ethan Allen maple room plan units for $100 at the last purchase and have enough for our next house.

The gifts,books, and artwork were less than 10% of new retail prices and usually more interesting.

The biggest value to me is being able to stay out of stores and to have significantly fewer distractions.

redfox
11-6-11, 1:41pm
I love not encouraging the must- make- more machine that is at the root of most environmental messes, and the heartbeat of growth capitalism, which is proving to be a very destructive system.

I choose to buy off Craigslist so my money can go further while supporting my neighbors, and from Goodwill, to support their adult Ed programs. I also look for vintage colors and design, as well as quirky items. The coffee table in our living room is an early 60's Adrian Pearsall piece I paid $15 for at Goodwill. On it is a bowl shape made of rusty, twisted wire, also a GW find. The Pearsall table is being marketed for $1500 + on various vintage websites, and the wire basket would probably be worth the $3 I paid for it! Nonetheless, they look great together, and neither would have been found at the mall.

We use vintage dishes & glassware almost exclusively. They are unusual, wacky, great colors, and look fantastic on the table, all from thrift stores. Today we're buying a vintage chandelier from a second use place and spray painting it fire engine red or aqua - haven't quite decided yet - to hang over our dining table. The shape is very cool, and it will look seriously badass in a high gloss crazy color. We've needed a new light fixture in the big, open kitchen/dining room, and this will be a one-of-a-kind for under $60. Which is also why I shop almost all secondary markets; I value off beat one-of-a-kind things.

daisy
11-6-11, 5:36pm
I like having things that don't show up in every other home, so I like to find older (but not necessarily antique) furniture, dishes, etc. When we were picking out countertops, the salesperson told us we should do undermount sinks because "that's what everyone wants these days." I told her that was the quickest way to make me not want it! And no, we didn't do undermount sinks. :)

iris lily
11-6-11, 6:51pm
Tonight I was talking with someone who bemoaned the loss of her older phone. It died, and she doesn't like the new ones. I suggested that she go on Ebay OR check thrift stores and garage sales for a 20 year old phone. They are out there ending up in landfills.

I recently bought an old 80's style alarm clock because I hate hate HATE the contemporary low end ones, they have incredibly cheap parts that require I move a tiny piece a centimeter to change settings. No. I want to know when the alarm in ON with clarity.

Jemima
11-6-11, 10:39pm
When I buy something at a thrift store, it doesn't come with loads of plastic packaging, a big cardboard box, and wads of advertising flyers stuffed inside. I can also support some charities with my purchases, mostly Salvation Army, since our Goodwill closed up six months ago.

sweetana3
11-7-11, 6:33am
The phone note reminds me I still have a 1930 working rotary phone in our bedroom. It is incredibly heavy but so easy to hear the loud bell and the clear sound.

Merski
11-7-11, 6:49am
I like the fact that you can tell which old furniture has withstood the test of time stylewise. It's the same with clothing. I can't really say that about ikea furniture much as I like it.

Marianne
11-7-11, 7:16am
Ditto! My first response is always 'why would I want something that everyone else has?'. I love my quirky, one of a kind pieces of furniture that were rescued from a trash pile or the second hand stores, rebuilt, repaired, refinished and/or painted.

We'll never buy another new car. We have owned two new cars through the years, the last one purchased 15 years ago. Definitely not worth the extra cash for those. Our current used vehicles both have about 250K miles on them, both owned by salesmen that put a lot of highway miles on them, both had 150K when we bought them cheap enough. Still functioning and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Mrs-M
11-7-11, 10:58am
I love buying previously owned things/stuff for the uniqueness. i.e. Antiques/collectibles.

Gardenarian
11-7-11, 6:00pm
Yes, so much more selection at thrift stores!
I seem to find a lot of things made in interesting places, all over the world, in thrift stores.
I like that I can drop off my old stuff at the same place I get the new. It's almost like a library.
And most thrift stores employ people who are really needy, while donating the profits to the poor.

redfox
11-7-11, 11:34pm
This weekend, I scored a lovely, handmade armless oak rocking chair. The owner has had it for 30 years, and just had the seat re-caned. It was a Craigslist freebie. Today I got a very very cute hand needlepointed, very 60's abstract orange, brown & yellow chair cushion for it, $1.99 at GW. draped on the back of it is a soft, creme colored wool & cashmere shawl from my vast GW shawl collection, one I have had for so long I forget the price - likely under $5.

Thus, for less than $10, we have a comfy & cute place to sit by the woodstove. THIS is why I furnish my life with second hand stuff! (Very helpful, especially since I spent $50 on my insurance copayment to see an orthopedist about a tendon injury in my foot.)

early morning
11-8-11, 7:59pm
YES to all the things already mentioned! Most older things have soul, and I am more comfortable with them.

pony mom
11-8-11, 11:00pm
With older items, I feel as if I'm taking care of it until it can be passed on to someone else. I have an antique ring from England from 1898 that is a very simple band style with tiny rubies and diamonds. I was told it was typical of an engagement ring. It was special to someone many years ago and now it's special to me.

I love old wooden furniture that has smooth worn areas, like arms of chairs. So many hands have worn it smooth over the years.

Buying used, you always have an interesting story to tell about where you found it, how much it cost and its history.

iris lily
11-9-11, 8:30am
I took my friend's grandfather's chair, it's an old faux leather armchair, and it's not comfortable and even the dogs don't like it. I took it because he was moving and I ask if he had an inexpensive armchair for sale and he just GAVE me this one. I specifically need an armchair for the dogs, that's what they require (!) Anyway, now I'm afraid that I will have someone else's heirloom to keep, ack. Here I just jettison MY OWN family heirloom and now I take on those belonging to someone else.

Oh, I know that I can get rid of it any time I want but it's fraught with being his grandpa's chair (he's got lots of things from grandpa) and he is moving across the country and we will miss him horribly and so it's a double sentimental thing. This chair is going to be a burden I fear.

Mrs-M
5-5-12, 4:04pm
I also love the warmth and hominess of older, used things. Knowing another set of hands (or more) once used such, provides me with a sense of comfort. Hard to describe in words. Hope you guys know what I mean.

catherine
5-5-12, 4:46pm
Old furniture has a patina you can't get with new stuff.

But the thing I LOVE about buying old vs. new is this: I am very bad at making decisions. I will ruminate for days, weeks or years on which way to go with certain things. If you are simply relying on a lucky find in a garage sale or thrift shop, you don't make a decision! You see something close to what you need and you buy it! I have made so many great decisions spur-of-the-moment because I knew they were one-time opportunities. I have a fabulous plate rack, an adorable hand-painted storage chest, a wing chair that is the exact match to my mother's old Ethan Allen set, the most fabulous floor lamp with a mica shade the shows silhouettes of NYC.... and of course, I bought them on the spot because I knew I wouldn't get that chance again.

sweetana3
5-5-12, 4:58pm
Catherine, I understand. When faced with a store full of choices, I just shut down. When it is one thing at a garage sale, it is yes or no and I can usually make the decision. I like Trader Joes and Aldis due to the small size of the store. TJ usually only has one choice of any item. Woe is me when there are tables full of stuff at garage sales.

I have furnished our house in old wooden furniture. Burled walnut storage pieces and Ethan Allen Room plan units that go together. I am sharing some with my mominlaw when she moves here and am on the lookout again. Once I got 6 pieces for $100 and the borrowing of a truck to transport them. At another auction got 7 pieces for $200. Guess I am one of the only people who loves them.

iris lily
5-5-12, 5:04pm
I like the softness of previously washed clothes. I've got a new pair of shorts from Goodwill that are soft and I love their sturdy softness.

Old dogs are nice, too. They are calm. Let someone else take care of them through the biting and jumping and crazed stages, I'll take an old calm dog any day.

catherine
5-5-12, 5:13pm
Guess I am one of the only people who loves them.

As long as you love them, that's all that matters! That's what I say, too. I love my hodgepodge, eclectic decorating style! I can point to everything I own and tell a story about it. (not that anyone would want to hear it :)

Merski
5-5-12, 8:26pm
I love used jeans because they've been washed and dried enough times that if the waist fits it will probably stay that way!

rosarugosa
5-5-12, 10:58pm
Catherine, I love to hear those stories when I go to someone's house - you might be surprised!

lizii
5-6-12, 4:48am
I've been lucky enough to inherit some of my grandma's antiques. I have two amazing walnut tables that were antiques when I got them from my mother in my living room which I've willed to my two sons, plus antique dishes I've given to my granddaughters to enjoy in their own homes. I've given them my best jewelery and some others I kept in the fridge in a phony can of soda that was actually a safe. It has disappeared now, but I'm sure it wasn't stolen--I think it was put in the garbage by one of my care aides' mistakes when she was cleaning my fridge out. It included my diamond wedding and engagement rings, a gold wedding band, two pairs of gold earrings, my baby ring, a gold bracelet, my gold locket give to me by my ex as a wedding gift, the gold chain to wear it, etc., and various rings I bought in Italy and Hawaii.

happystuff
5-6-12, 7:54am
The biggest benefit to me is simply being able to afford previously owned items versus new. A second benefit is actually being able to find the item I want. Case in point... dh uses cassette tapes. Last time he needed some it took trips to 4 stores before finding some at a cost of 2 - 120 minute tapes for a total of $8.00. Yesterday at a yard sale I was able to get him 7 - 90 minute tapes (brand new, unopened!) for a total of $2.

iris lily
5-6-12, 9:36am
I am sitting here looking at a hat box that my friend rescued from a dumpster, and I have this truism:

My friends buy me stuff. My close friends pull things out of the dumpster for me.

citrine
5-7-12, 5:37am
I love curb shopping....we recently found a little cabinet, two cement pieces for the garden, a little round table, an old wooden bar stool, and a huge wheelbarrow that only needed a new wheel. For the price of spray paint and some new hardware for the cabinet, we got really great pieces for the house without spending a lot of money.

Mighty Frugal
5-7-12, 4:59pm
For us it is our home. I would never buy a new house. Not only are you living on a construction site for years but most new homes are so 'blah'. just no character and they seem to slap 'em up as fast as they can. row upon row-all the same-ick

Our century home has super high ceilings and foot high baseboards. There is an iron or glass door knob on every door and each door is framed with beautiful mouldings. It's not big but it's rich!

Fawn
5-9-12, 12:33am
For us it is our home. I would never buy a new house. Not only are you living on a construction site for years but most new homes are so 'blah'. just no character and they seem to slap 'em up as fast as they can. row upon row-all the same-ick

Our century home has super high ceilings and foot high baseboards. There is an iron or glass door knob on every door and each door is framed with beautiful mouldings. It's not big but it's rich!

:+1:

And my home is only 80 years old.

pony mom
5-9-12, 2:01pm
I've always wanted a pair of L.L. Bean hiking boots. Last week at the Sal Army, I found a pair, possibly worn maybe once, for $7. They fit me perfectly and I can't wait to use them. Thrilled I won't be shelling out $60+ for a new pair.

mtnlaurel
6-11-12, 7:15am
Here is another reason I discovered this weekend why I love gently used.....
The shoes are already worn in!

My kids wore 2 New to Us pair of shoes this weekend and not one complaint about 'these hurt my feet'.
Kids feet grow so quickly that I have been able to get sport specific and dress shoes that show next to no wear for a song.

small & friendly
6-11-12, 6:41pm
This is a great thread.

It would have been impossible for me to furnish my place without second hand furniture: but, I found a real maple end table, a sturdy easy chair, a comfortable single bed, a 'name brand' sofa, a dining table and matching chairs, a blender, light fixture, dresser for the entry hall, a real oil painting, a step stool...and so much more I can't think of.

The quality of workmanship used to be so much better than it is now. I'm perfectly happy with my thrift store finds. :)

sweetana3
6-11-12, 7:48pm
I finally finished furnishing my mominlaw's new apartment. Since she lives 600 miles away, it saved us thousands in moving costs. She got a wonderful metal bed frame from a 101 year old moving into assisted living. We found two Tell City nightstands that weight a ton since they are beautiful solid wood and a dinette set in solid wood. Oh, got a cushioned glider rocker and ottoman for $30 at a garage sale and it fit in our car. Now we are done until the apartment is set up and she has a chance to decide on changes and adding other items. Total cost for the things we found this month $130 (half the cost of a glider rocker on sale.)

All the other furniture came from our home as I have collected it over time. Eventually, it will come back but hopefully not for 20 years.

awakenedsoul
6-11-12, 11:22pm
My cottage was built in 1944. I've gotten most of my furniture from the Salvation Army. It has character, style, and soul! Also, it's the right size. I like to feel like I have space to move around, and the furniture pieces they make now are huge! In the olden days, the homes were smaller. I love the old heavy wood, the design, the craftsmanship, and the care that was put into these pieces. I feel like the people who had them are up in heaven smiling down when they see them being used and appreciated. The old furniture never breaks or falls apart. I have new pieces that just weren't well made, and I've put them at the curb. (after trying to fix them.)

I've gotten to the point where I buy everything second hand. I feel so much better about supporting the thrift stores and staying off the corporate spend spend spend track! I stop by and browse regularly. As an artist, I have a good eye. So often I will zero in a piece that's a really valuable antique and it's only $20.00. It's fun to find those treasures. They make my house look so beautiful and unique.

Packratona!
6-13-12, 12:06am
I am not so crazy about the idea as I used to be, after our recent expenses due to bedbugs in the house. We brought them back from a hotel, but could have just as easily picked them up from furniture we picked up curbside.

lizii
6-13-12, 4:26am
My cottage was built in 1944. I've gotten most of my furniture from the Salvation Army. It has character, style, and soul! Also, it's the right size. I like to feel like I have space to move around, and the furniture pieces they make now are huge! In the olden days, the homes were smaller. I love the old heavy wood, the design, the craftsmanship, and the care that was put into these pieces. I feel like the people who had them are up in heaven smiling down when they see them being used and appreciated. The old furniture never breaks or falls apart. I have new pieces that just weren't well made, and I've put them at the curb. (after trying to fix them.)

I've gotten to the point where I buy everything second hand. I feel so much better about supporting the thrift stores and staying off the corporate spend spend spend track! I stop by and browse regularly. As an artist, I have a good eye. So often I will zero in a piece that's a really valuable antique and it's only $20.00. It's fun to find those treasures. They make my house look so beautiful and unique.

The biggest bargain I've had in furniture was an antique dining room set I bought at an auction for $450.

It included a table, 2 leaves, six chairs with leather seats, a buffet and china cabinet, all in perfect condition since it had apparently been stored for years.

I used this beautiful furniture for 18 years until the house was sold, and gave it to my son to use in his own home. I included an antique handmade lace tablecloth I had inherited from my grandmother.

I used to make a special dinner on Sundays of roast beef, roasted potatoes and two vegetables, gravy and a homemade pie for dessert--apple, raisin, mincemeat, lemon merangue, chocolate, pumpkin, etc., most with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, all served in the dining room served on my best china with my silver plated cutlery, plus to teach them good table manners.

I also used linen or cotton napkins and silver napkin holders.

awakenedsoul
6-13-12, 5:37pm
That sounds wonderful Lizzi! My parents inherited a lot of antiques, china, and silver. My mom always used it on holidays. I used to heat everything up with hot water for her. I appreciate it all much more as I get older. I just picked up a few antique dessert plates and saucers at the local thrift shop. Now you've got me wanting to make a cherry pie! I'll bake it in my 1950's restored O'Keefe and Merritt oven!

iris lily
6-13-12, 9:17pm
I walk the alleys here and see so much newly made crap that is being thrown away and it cannot be repaired. What will the next generation do for furniture? It's so sad.

I still regret not grabbing an art deco era vanity that was missing only one center drawer. It had tons of character. That would have been fixed up easily with a cloth cover. I found the drawers in the nearby dumpster--DH taught me that trick (to look for missing pieces in the nearest dumpster.) I weep for it at the bottom of a landfill now. Some young hipster chick would have liked it, I should have saved it for her.

But since then I've learned about "curb alert" notices on Craigslist, so as God is my witness, I will never have to ignore a wonderful pieces of homeless old furniture again. I will save them!

fidgiegirl
6-13-12, 9:56pm
Here is another reason I discovered this weekend why I love gently used.....
The shoes are already worn in!

My kids wore 2 New to Us pair of shoes this weekend and not one complaint about 'these hurt my feet'.
Kids feet grow so quickly that I have been able to get sport specific and dress shoes that show next to no wear for a song.

Awesome! DH and I often muse that if we had kids, we would be prolific secondhand shoppers. Especially since kids grow so fast! Plus we already have practice :)

fidgiegirl
6-13-12, 9:57pm
I walk the alleys here and see so much newly made crap that is being thrown away and it cannot be repaired. What will the next generation do for furniture? It's so sad.

I still regret not grabbing an art deco era vanity that was missing only one center drawer. It had tons of character. That would have been fixed up easily with a cloth cover. I found the drawers in the nearby dumpster--DH taught me that trick (to look for missing pieces in the nearest dumpster.) I weep for it at the bottom of a landfill now. Some young hipster chick would have liked it, I should have saved it for her.

But since then I've learned about "curb alert" notices on Craigslist, so as God is my witness, I will never have to ignore a wonderful pieces of homeless old furniture again. I will save them!

Iris Lily, advocate of hipster chicks everywhere!!! :D

I have a friend who does a tidy little side business picking up well-made furniture items in alleys and at garage sales and basically she paints them, distresses them, changes out the hardware - whatever to kind of spiff them up - and resells them on CL. She enjoys it. We hunt for items for her once in a while and send her texts with them.

mira
6-28-12, 12:49pm
^ That is an excellent way to turn a little profit, recycle and have some creative fun while you're at it! Good on your friend :)

In total agreement with everyone's reasons so far! One thing I loathe about clothes shopping is that fashion dictates the types of clothes available, which tends to mean impractical, unflattering clothes or that absolutely everyone is wearing the same thing (or both!). Shopping second hand in charity shops and on ebay means I can bypass all that crap and get something different, while not funding suspicious production methods or supporting the production of tonnes of new pointless stuff. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

try2bfrugal
6-28-12, 2:55pm
I like getting things for 10 - 15% of what they cost new, supporting our local economy, supporting the whole reuse, reduce and recycle lifestyle and with thrift shops supporting local charities. I also like the thrill of the hunt - being able to shop without spending a lot of money.

My outing for today is going to check out a new to me thrift shop while taking a bunch of stuff to donate and declutter our house. I am hoping I come back with much less than I donate. :) Either way it will be a cheap afternoon.

heydude
7-6-12, 2:38am
One reason I like to buy pre-owned (on some things) is that you get the style you want. Generally, when I see something I like, it isn't until many years later that I decide to finally buy it and by that time, the style has changed or the new versions are just not the same. So, I can find exactly what I wanted from the year 2002 right now on craigslist! hehe