PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Veterans

Gregg
11-11-11, 9:54am
All of you have my deepest and most heartfelt appreciation and gratitude. Thank you.

puglogic
11-11-11, 12:43pm
I am grateful every day for the men & women brave enough to sign up for this difficult job. May you find peace of mind and an abundant life now that you're home.

mtnlaurel
11-12-11, 6:22pm
All of you have my deepest and most heartfelt appreciation and gratitude. Thank you.

+1

redfox
11-12-11, 9:29pm
I look forward to the day when we no longer have veterans of war.

mira
11-13-11, 5:15am
I look forward to the day when we no longer have veterans of war.
Me too.

Marianne
11-13-11, 7:19am
Thanks Vets!

Spartana
11-15-11, 1:28pm
You're welcome! And thank you for the support you give to all veterans - past and future. I went into the service (CG) towards the end of the Vietnam War (and served with many returning CG war veterans who spent many tours in Vietnam) and was so shocked and saddened to see the treatment of people in the military - especially those returning from war. I'm glad to see a new era of people supporting those in the armed forces even if they don't support the current war.

freein05
11-15-11, 4:16pm
Some of us older Vets did not sign up (drafted) but still served proudly. We also got the cold shoulder or more when we got out during the Vietnam Wan and went to collage.

EarthSky
11-15-11, 5:12pm
Deepest gratitude to all veterans. And appreciation to all those who are currently serving proudly, many in harms way in far-away lands, often leaving family behind to anxiously await their return.

Gregg
11-16-11, 11:42am
I'm happy that we have learned to shift our negative feelings about war away from the participants and have begun to set our sights on those in charge. That is progress and, IMO, as it should be. I think it is still very sad that so many veterans are left to struggle with serious health issues and difficulty reentering society after their service and the families of our casualties of war are not supported in a grateful and compassionate way. We've made progress, but we can and should do much better.

Spartana
11-16-11, 1:30pm
I'm happy that we have learned to shift our negative feelings about war away from the participants and have begun to set our sights on those in charge. That is progress and, IMO, as it should be. I think it is still very sad that so many veterans are left to struggle with serious health issues and difficulty reentering society after their service and the families of our casualties of war are not supported in a grateful and compassionate way. We've made progress, but we can and should do much better.

The VA system IS getting better and there are alot of programs out there now that didn't exist after Vietnam. the Obama admin was great about funding VA hospitals and programs for vets this last year but alot of people still fall thru the cracks. I use the VA hospital myself (as well as do some volunteer work there with a homeless veterans program) and I have gotten better care there then I ever did at a civilian hospital or doctors office. And they are also pretty progressive in alot of areas like prosetics, mental health issues, and are offering more services for women vets too (nice for me!!).

Spartana
11-16-11, 2:34pm
Some of us older Vets did not sign up (drafted) but still served proudly. We also got the cold shoulder or more when we got out during the Vietnam Wan and went to collage.

This is what really irked me at that time - many of the returning vets WERE drafted, they had no choice in the matter short of running off to Canada. So they should have been doubly honored and treated with respect when they returned from what was essentially indenture "slave labor" in the most deadly of jobs. IMHO, returning vets (and even those serving in non-wartime jobs) should have been cared for, cared about, and given a hero's welcome BECAUSE they had to fight in a war not of their own choosing. Pissed me off to no end that they weren't!

peggy
11-16-11, 8:39pm
Spartana, my husband and daughter both work for the VA and they DO take care of the Vietnam vets. These guys are rock stars in this VA and they are treated as such. I think in light of people becoming more educated in how the gov works and on the heels of Iraq and Afghanistan, and the unnecessary nature of these wars, people aren't as quick to blame the soldiers, and know these guys and gals are only doing what they signed /promised to do. They know, or I hope they know, who is responsible for instigating these actions.
*Note to ourselves Mitt Romney has said he would consider going to war with Iran if he is elected. (because of course, that's what we need, another war!)

Spartana
11-17-11, 12:37pm
Spartana, my husband and daughter both work for the VA and they DO take care of the Vietnam vets. These guys are rock stars in this VA and they are treated as such. I think in light of people becoming more educated in how the gov works and on the heels of Iraq and Afghanistan, and the unnecessary nature of these wars, people aren't as quick to blame the soldiers, and know these guys and gals are only doing what they signed /promised to do. They know, or I hope they know, who is responsible for instigating these actions.
*Note to ourselves Mitt Romney has said he would consider going to war with Iran if he is elected. (because of course, that's what we need, another war!)

I see alot of Vietnam veterans when I go to the VA (and alot of Korean and WWII vets too) and I'm happy that they are taken good care of now - don't know if that was the case when they returned or not though. I have to say that I do love the VA system and think that it could be used as a model for some sort of nationwide public healthcare system if one were ever to be introduced.