PDA

View Full Version : Uses for Styrofoam Meat Trays?

Simplicity
11-11-11, 10:58am
Has anyone found a use for the styrofoam trays that meat comes in? I have some that are about 8" x 10" with two wells in them that ground beef came in. They are not recyclable and I hate to just toss them in the land fill. There must be something useful I could do with them! Any ideas?

Aqua Blue
11-11-11, 11:46am
I cover them with foil to send home leftovers(after washing them, and the foil means the food doesn't come in contact with the tray).. It isn't perfect, but better than throwing them. I also saw some cute bats for halloween made from them. At least they would have another use before discarding.

redfox
11-11-11, 12:44pm
My grandmother used the to freeze the larger quantities of meat she used to buy. I also recall them being decent trays for watercolor mixing for small children. I can imagine them being used to put in between breakables on the shelf, like good china, if one has such a thing!

Rosemary
11-11-11, 1:42pm
Call a local preschool and ask if they would like them. Kids often use them for crafts.

Float On
11-11-11, 3:50pm
I've discovered that I'm allergic to styrofoam so I have to be very careful to avoid buying things wrapped in it.

Simplicity
11-11-11, 9:17pm
I did consider donating them to a preschool or daycare. And I can use a couple as pallettes (DH does oil painting and I do some acrylic)

mara61
11-11-11, 9:30pm
I used to use them as paint trays for my boys. I don't buy meat that comes on them anymore, otherwise I would see if our school needed them.

nswef
11-17-11, 12:18pm
You local elementary school art teacher will be able to use them, I'm sure.