PDA

View Full Version : Television Reviews--Fall 2011

AmeliaJane
11-13-11, 10:11am
I get such good ideas out of the movie and book review forums--I'm curious to know what people are watching right now on television.

From the fall premieres, I have surprised myself by enjoying "Up All Night," the sitcom about a couple with a new baby, and "Once Upon a Time," the "fairytales are real" series from ABC. I didn't think I'd like either of those based on early reviews, but they've caught my attention.

For ongoing series, I love "Parks and Recreation." All the actors are incredibly funny, and the show has a lot of heart and kindness--I don't like watching mean-spiritedness either on TV or in real life.

And on DVD, I'm currently watching "Fringe," which consistently gets great reviews from people who love sci-fi, and "Justified," which I have just fallen in love with. Not only is Timothy Olyphant, the lead, awfully good looking *fanning self* but the whole series is very well written and acted. (On cable, though, so language can be salty.)

JaneV2.0
11-13-11, 11:55am
I almost never watch fiction TV, but I saw the promos for Grimm and thought it looked interesting. About five minutes in, I thought to myself "I know those trees!" and Googled to find that it is filmed in Portland. No wonder! So I'm enjoying it for the settings--the Queen Bee's house was in our old neighborhood, even. As with most fiction, the writing is spotty, the acting is pedestrian, and the plots are holey, but it does bring new meaning to "Keep Portland weird."

I'm also happy that Disappeared is back for another season on the Investigation Discovery channel. It features cases of missing persons, providing background, developments, and resolution, if any. I think it's one of the best written, best paced, and best narrated NF series around. Even if it doesn't include my beloved Keith Morrison...

Miss Cellane
11-13-11, 12:27pm
I like Fringe, too. Am also waiting for the next seasons of Eureka and Warehouse 13, a couple of other sci-fi shows. And the next season of Doctor Who, whenever that will be.

I watch Big Bang Theory because it is funny. Once Upon a Time is interesting and I'm enjoying how it is playing out.

Everyone I know loves Parks and Rec, but I tried watching it on Netflix and got really bogged down mid-season 1. Someone just told me that it gets better with the second season, so I'm thinking of trying it again.

Grimm looks interesting, but I'm getting tired of all the cop shows, no matter what the gimmick.

JaneV2.0
11-13-11, 1:12pm
Speaking of cop shows, my SO likes NCIS and I've watched it occasionally. I like its well-chosen ensemble cast, the writing works for me, and Mark Harmon is always good. His portrayals of Ted Bundy and Thomas Capano are chilling.

iris lily
11-13-11, 1:19pm
I've reduced my film attendance quite a lot in the past year or so, getting far more entertainment from teevee, often on dvd.

I think Parks & Rec is funny, too. It's finally come into its own--agreed that the first year was too much Leslie too much of the time, and she's pretty hard to take. The minor characters are hilarious. I no longer watch The Office and 30 Rock. But my favorite comedy is Modern Family, Cam often has me in tears. I checked with my gay friends and they love him, too, so it's ok to laugh at him. The nerds on Big Bang Theory are funny, but I think that show is played out and they've run out of ideas. I'm not watching much any more.

I hate cop shows but have watched 2 episodes of Prime Suspect because Maria Bello is so cool. But no more, it's not that interesting. And speaking of cop shows, I am wading through The Wire on dvd which I never saw when it originally played since I don't have cable. I'm in Season 2 which is very slow to get off the ground. But since I did get into Season 1, I'll keep at it. I turn on the English subtitles so that I can understand the East coast and ghetto accents.

In the past 12 months I've learned to love a mafia show (the Sopranos) and a cop show (The Wire), both genres I usually eschew.

I anxiously await the last season of Breaking Bad, a brilliant teevee show. Love that thing. I've got many dvds in my netflix que: Pillars of the Earth, Little Dorrit, Head Case, Arrested Development, Justified just to name a few, and I plan to purchase Game of Thrones. The only teevee show we've purchased is some seasons of Lost.

And speaking of cop and crime shows, I am horrified at the kind of crimes that are represented on them. It seems that each show must come up with increasingly perverted and horrible crimes. Rather than decent writing, they go to the gore. So boring. I know about them because DH watches a lot of them and I see bits and pieces.

DH really really likes Once Upon a Time and I may cycle back to watch it on dvd when it is clear it survives the 1st season.

I love History Detectives on PBS but I seldom remember when its on, and I assume dI could get it on dvd anyway, but when I check into NEtflix holdings and dvd publications, I don't see it.:(

iris lily
11-13-11, 1:29pm
Speaking of cop shows, my SO likes NCIS and I've watched it occasionally. I like its well-chosen ensemble cast, the writing works for me, and Mark Harmon is always good. His portrayals of Ted Bundy and Thomas Capano are chilling.

DH is addicted to that show and I hate it. I always see Mark Harmon as Ted Bundy. But mainly I hate it because it's dull, always a murder that's wrapped up in the episode. It's on during the dinner hour and we often eat in front of the teevee, so I see more of it than I would like.

The show, Bones, has a very predictable story. 3 out or 5 times there will be a body on the slab at 7:16, I know because that's usually when I've got dinner cooking and I sit down with a glass of wine. And then I have to look at the body and its parts, ugh.

AmeliaJane
11-13-11, 2:47pm
Parks and Rec hit its stride a few episodes into the second season, and the third was just stellar. I usually hate not going through things sequentially but in this case it really doesn't matter. The episode I recommend people try is "Hunting Trip" (2nd season, episode 10)--it's on Netflix streaming--which has almost the whole ensemble going on a hunting trip together, creating utter mayhem. That gives a really good idea what the series is like.

Per the procedurals--for me, and I think for a lot of people, the appeal is when they manage to cast a likeable group of characters who clearly like each other. The plots of NCIS, Bones and Hawaii 5-0 do very little for me, but after a rotten day it's nice to have affable people in my living room. The most recent episode of Hawaii 5-0 had a scene where the two leads were just hanging out together giving each other a hard time (in an affectionate way) for about 5 minutes--no plot significance whatsoever, but it was the high point of the episode for me. But yes, I could do with less gore with my camaraderie, thank you...

Rogar
11-13-11, 2:48pm
So far the new season hasn't changed much for me. The only regulars I have are Fringe, 60 minutes, and Antiques Road Show. I had hopes for Terra Nova, but it's turning out to be only OK. Sometimes I watch "cops" just to get a dose of reality frm a side of life I don't see.

Winters I often Netflix a series, and have "24" in my cue and hope that Game of Thrones will be released before too long.

Miss Cellane
11-13-11, 2:57pm
And speaking of cop and crime shows, I am horrified at the kind of crimes that are represented on them. It seems that each show must come up with increasingly perverted and horrible crimes. Rather than decent writing, they go to the gore. So boring. I know about them because DH watches a lot of them and I see bits and pieces.

You put into words what I've been feeling, but couldn't express. It's all gore, all horrific slaughter, all the time. I used to like Criminal Minds because they didn't show the gore--they dealt with the aftermath, and really got into the criminal's head. But after a couple of seasons, the gore crept in and it just keeps getting worse. It's like they feel that if they don't amp things up continually, they'll lose viewers. But they are losing viewers who just don't like the gore and sadism and slaughter.

Clearly, I am not the target demographic for most TV shows. And I just plain don't like the ones that I am the target demographic for, think Desperate Housewives and the like.

Fortunately, all the various Star Trek series are now available on streaming Netflix for the next two years. That should keep me occupied, when I have time to watch TV.

Selah
11-13-11, 3:57pm
One REALLY gross, far-out, and entertaining show DH and I hav just started watching is FX's "American Horror Story." We love it, even though I have to look away sometimes! We're also enjoying HBO's "Boardwalk Empire," AMC's "Mad Men," both of which have outstanding writing and acting, and our old favorites of "CBS Sunday Morning" and "60 Minutes." I am also enjoying Oprah Winfrey's "Life Class," and her "Super Soul Sunday" programs.

On today's "Super Soul Sunday," she featured the entire film "No Impact Man," which is great as it will get the film out to so many people who may have never seen it otherwise. There is also a new one from her starting this week, about creative visionaries, that I'm also looking forward to. She's really making some good programming on her own network...how cool is that? Yes, she's a media juggernaut, but she's producing some very uplifting shows.

rosebud
11-14-11, 2:35am
I've reduced my film attendance quite a lot in the past year or so, getting far more entertainment from teevee, often on dvd.

I think Parks & Rec is funny, too. It's finally come into its own--agreed that the first year was too much Leslie too much of the time, and she's pretty hard to take. The minor characters are hilarious. I no longer watch The Office and 30 Rock. But my favorite comedy is Modern Family, Cam often has me in tears. I checked with my gay friends and they love him, too, so it's ok to laugh at him. The nerds on Big Bang Theory are funny, but I think that show is played out and they've run out of ideas. I'm not watching much any more.

I hate cop shows but have watched 2 episodes of Prime Suspect because Maria Bello is so cool. But no more, it's not that interesting. And speaking of cop shows, I am wading through The Wire on dvd which I never saw when it originally played since I don't have cable. I'm in Season 2 which is very slow to get off the ground. But since I did get into Season 1, I'll keep at it. I turn on the English subtitles so that I can understand the East coast and ghetto accents.

In the past 12 months I've learned to love a mafia show (the Sopranos) and a cop show (The Wire), both genres I usually eschew.

I anxiously await the last season of Breaking Bad, a brilliant teevee show. Love that thing. I've got many dvds in my netflix que: Pillars of the Earth, Little Dorrit, Head Case, Arrested Development, Justified just to name a few, and I plan to purchase Game of Thrones. The only teevee show we've purchased is some seasons of Lost.

DH really really likes Once Upon a Time and I may cycle back to watch it on dvd when it is clear it survives the 1st season.

I love History Detectives on PBS but I seldom remember when its on, and I assume dI could get it on dvd anyway, but when I check into NEtflix holdings and dvd publications, I don't see it.:(

You might like the series "Grimm." I just watched the first three episodes and they were entertaining. Grittier than Once Upon a Time, more humor.

Weston
11-14-11, 10:19am
I like several of the shows mentioned (Parks & Rec, Big Bang and in particular Modern Family) but for me, Breaking Bad is so far above all the other shows on television that I wouldn't even lump them in the same category. I consider it one of the best television dramas of all time not just 2011.

iris lily
11-14-11, 10:47am
I like several of the shows mentioned (Parks & Rec, Big Bang and in particular Modern Family) but for me, Breaking Bad is so far above all the other shows on television that I wouldn't even lump them in the same category. I consider it one of the best television dramas of all time not just 2011.

Agreed, Breaking Bad is beyond most tv, but so was the Sopranos. I'm so glad they've defined an end to Breaking Bad. That allows the writers to do some strange stuff and not have to keep the plot going on and on.

Hey Weston, off topic, but we recently had a rescue dog named "Easton" and we wanted a family we know with the surname Weston to adopt him so that he would be Easton Weston. But they declined! ha ha.

JaneV2.0
11-14-11, 4:23pm
That makes perfect sense to me, Iris Lily--Easton Weston, never the twain shall meet.

Azure
11-14-11, 4:23pm
Person of Interest with Jim Caviezal and Michael Emerson (Ben from Lost) is pretty good. Has an interesting premise.

My sister and I are sad that The Closer is coming to an end. We keep texting each other with guesses as to who the "mole" is in the unit. lol I think I need to get a life lol

Alan
11-14-11, 4:28pm
I don't watch a lot of network TV so haven't seen a lot of the shows already listed, but I firmly believe the future of quality programming is in the hands of the cable channels. The Soprano's, Deadwood, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, etc., are, in my opinion, so good the networks can't compete.

My two current favorites are The Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels, both on AMC.

JaneV2.0
11-14-11, 6:25pm
Most of my favorites are on History (love those Ancient Aliens! And Ice Road Truckers--go Lisa!), ID, Bio, National Geographic, and similar channels. This weekend I watched Wild Pacific--I think it was on Planet Green--which featured absolutely stunning HD underwater photography.

snowbirdpat
11-14-11, 7:12pm
I'm watching (online) - Once Upon a Time, the Walking Dead, Supernatural and American Horror Story!

JaneV2.0
11-14-11, 7:57pm
I'm watching season one of The X-Files on line. Always a step behind...

iris lily
11-14-11, 10:04pm
You might like the series "Grimm." I just watched the first three episodes and they were entertaining. Grittier than Once Upon a Time, more humor.

I may watch that one on dvd, too, when it is clear it will survive. I watched the first one but didn't like it all that much. I thin Once Upon a Time is more intriguing.

JaneV2.0
11-14-11, 11:25pm
My sense is that Grimm is improving after a clumsy beginning establishing its back story. I hope I'm right, because I love seeing my old haunts through a cinematographer's eye.

I watched part of Once Upon a Time, but it felt to me like a soap opera with special effects, and since it wasn't filmed anywhere I've ever lived...:cool:

DonkaDoo
11-15-11, 11:10am
LOVE:
The Wire (just starting it)
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Survivor
Top Chef
Project Runway
Six Feet Under (just finished season 1)
Mad Men
Rome
Deadwood

rosebud
11-15-11, 1:40pm
LOVE:
The Wire (just starting it)
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Survivor
Top Chef
Project Runway
Six Feet Under (just finished season 1)
Mad Men
Rome
Deadwood

Sounds like my Must See TV list. My three favorite series are on that list: Game of Thrones, Six Feet Under and The Wire.

You will LOVE the Wire. It will make you really feel something and think.

rosebud
11-15-11, 1:41pm
My sense is that Grimm is improving after a clumsy beginning establishing its back story. I hope I'm right, because I love seeing my old haunts through a cinematographer's eye.

I watched part of Once Upon a Time, but it felt to me like a soap opera with special effects, and since it wasn't filmed anywhere I've ever lived...:cool:

Third episode was really good I think.

JaneV2.0
11-19-11, 2:01pm
I have to say I'm falling in love with Grimm--especially the werewolf character who gets all the good lines. Yeah, it's formulaic, but the settings, cinematography, and the concept trump that for me. "Bramble House" was about half a mile from where I grew up, and my Portland contact reports production has set up literally a block away from my old house. Personally, I'm hoping the girlfriend turns out to be a changeling, because otherwise she doesn't add a thing to the story.

AnneM
11-19-11, 5:41pm
What? Am I the only one who likes "The Middle"? It reminds me exactly of my family, except I only have two kids; the mouthy older child, and the younger one that whispers words under his breath, and I have only set fire to kitchen towels in the oven, not quilts.

What I love about the show is how they carry themes over from the previous season. On the first season, the mom decided that everyone was going to sit at the kitchen table at the same time to eat dinner, because they never did. There are five people in the family, but they only had four chairs, because since the youngest son had been born several years earlier, they hadn't sat at the table all at the same time until then. So the dad went outside, knocked the snow off a lawn chair, and brought it in for the youngest son to sit on. I noticed on an episode a few weeks ago, that the lawn chair is still at the table. Then of course, I had to laugh because my husband pointed out to me that we have a lawn chair at our table, too. There are only four in my family, but the last time my oldest son had a friend over, we brought the lawn chair in, which dad sat in. I wonder what the kid is telling his parents.

Tiam
11-20-11, 8:37pm
I like NCIS and Law and Order and Criminal Minds. Southland too. I think their episodic quality is what appeals to me, when I need a quick fix of just jelling out. The writing is usually good for that caliper of show. I don't watch a lot of TV and when I do, it's really just to stop and let my mind do nothing. I don't want to think too much. As much as I love a good documentary, sometimes I'm too tired to think much. I don't tend to watch many sitcoms. Can't think of one that I do. I am watching Homeland and of course Dexter, but I think Dexter is wearing thin for me, much as I like Michael C Hall. I still watch Breaking Bad whenever the series is new. Tough watching, but well written. I tend to like the edgier stuff.

iris lily
11-20-11, 10:49pm
What? Am I the only one who likes "The Middle"? It reminds me exactly of my family, except I only have two kids; the mouthy older child, and the younger one that whispers words under his breath, and I have only set fire to kitchen towels in the oven, not quilts.

What I love about the show is how they carry themes over from the previous season. On the first season, the mom decided that everyone was going to sit at the kitchen table at the same time to eat dinner, because they never did. There are five people in the family, but they only had four chairs, because since the youngest son had been born several years earlier, they hadn't sat at the table all at the same time until then. So the dad went outside, knocked the snow off a lawn chair, and brought it in for the youngest son to sit on. I noticed on an episode a few weeks ago, that the lawn chair is still at the table. Then of course, I had to laugh because my husband pointed out to me that we have a lawn chair at our table, too. There are only four in my family, but the last time my oldest son had a friend over, we brought the lawn chair in, which dad sat in. I wonder what the kid is telling his parents.

I like The Middle a lot. It's one of 3 sitcoms I usually plan to watch. Thanks for that note about the lawn chair, I'll mention that to DH and he will like that.

Spartana
11-21-11, 7:14pm
Still like Supernatural after all these years. Two hunky brothers fighting evil demons all the while bantering back & forth with sarcastic little jibs. Like all the very humorous take-offs of other shows and the sort of outragous story lines. Also like gritty cop-dramas like Criminal Minds and L & O: SVU (not as much now that Chis Melloni is gone) and the new cop drama with Marie Bello - Prime Suspect. No cable so can't comment on those but have seen some DVD's - like The closer, Dexter, Sopranos' and Oz (when it was on. Don't like Grimm or the other Fairytale one at all. Ditto for Terra Nova (had hopes for it like another poster did but it's not doing it for me). Really like Fringe too. So I guess the only "new" show I like this season is Prime Suspect.

iris lily
11-22-11, 12:31am
... So I guess the only "new" show I like this season is Prime Suspect.
They kicked that show to the curb, no more Maria Bello solving crimes. It won't be back.

Spartana
11-22-11, 12:52pm
They kicked that show to the curb, no more Maria Bello solving crimes. It won't be back.

Bummer dude (as we say in California :-)!). Now there isn't ANY new shows that I like. I rarely watch TV because I just have anntenna TV and the reception where I live is sparse, so have been renting TV show DVD's. I can get a whole season of a show for $1/week at the library - watch a show or two a night. Sparse picken's at the library though so will have to find an actual video store soon (do they still exist?) to rent TV shows. Of course my FAVORITE show is "Southpark" but without cable I can't get my Cartman - "respect my authoritah" - fix :-)! My sister got me a Southpark Tee-shirt with that saying on it - and Cartman in a cop outfit & mirrored sunglasses on his Big Wheel!

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=581&d=1321985399

My latest cable show DVD rental was "trueblood" and it... well... sucked :-)!

The Storyteller
11-22-11, 5:27pm
I finally succumbed to The Big Bang Theory about a month ago. It has been a long time since a TV show made me laugh out loud. This one does it every episode. Not even Parks and Rec does that. And lucky me, it has been around for several years, so there is plenty to watch.

My daughter also hooked me on Deadwood, but that only lasted the few weeks it took me to watch the DVDs.

Looking forward to the new season for Mad Men in March, and waiting impatiently for the second season of Game of Thrones.

And then there is football. Used to be just the pros with the Cowboys and Texans, but colleagues have now got me following the Sooners.

AmeliaJane
11-22-11, 8:07pm
I'm just about to start Deadwood! (DVD currently in the mail) I have heard so many good things about it...

Kestrel
11-23-11, 12:22am
Wow, we have DirecTV and I've never even heard of most of the programs listed! Mostly we DVR and watch later. I record and watch a lot of PBS and BBC, and DH likes his "hammering and nailing" shows. Our guilty pleasure is "Who's Line is It Anyway?" -- we're rolling on the floor laughing when we watch that. We watch two or three a night - also recorded. And the old "Law and Order" programs -- also watch them over and order. And "Law and Order UK". Oh yeah, and "The Wire", I do watch that.

AND OF COURSE, BOISE STATE BRONCOS football games!!! And Oregon, and Stanford, and USC! And SF 49ers football games!! And sometimes Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers. .... And SF Giants and Arizona Diamondbacks and NY Yankees baseball games (tho I'd rather listen to baseball on the radio while watching a game)!

CathyA
11-23-11, 9:09am
I like the L&O shows too. SVU just isn't the same with Chris Meloni though.
I like NCIS:LA but hate NCIS.
Is it true about cacelling Prime Suspect? I can't believe how they cancel good shows and replace them with junk.
I really liked Chicago Code and its gone too.
I occasionally like Criminal Mind, but only when the storyline is more psychological and less gory.
I do like the Good Wife and Harry's Law.
I've always like shows with philosophical dilemmas. Remember Picket Fences? That was always good for those dilemmas.
Blue Bloods is good to.

jennipurrr
11-23-11, 10:56am
DH and I are both really into Boardwalk Empire. It surprised me that I liked it that much...I enjoy the plot, characters, costumes/sets, etc...and put up with the killing. Another show we've gotten into is Season One of The Wire which is being shown unedited (no commercials/all the foul language and violence) on some DirectTV channel. We watched it back in 2002, but its a completely different experience now knowing the character progression through the other seasons.

Law and Order SVU is my winter rerun indulgence. When the days get short I will cuddle up on the sofa most weekday evenings and watch an old episode.

Football rules in this house too during this time of the year, although I am a reluctant fan.

rosebud
11-23-11, 2:38pm
I have to say I'm falling in love with Grimm--especially the werewolf character who gets all the good lines. Yeah, it's formulaic, but the settings, cinematography, and the concept trump that for me. "Bramble House" was about half a mile from where I grew up, and my Portland contact reports production has set up literally a block away from my old house. Personally, I'm hoping the girlfriend turns out to be a changeling, because otherwise she doesn't add a thing to the story.

It does have a lot of eye candy with the city scapes and quaint houses, forests. I also love the wolf guy, especially in the Bramble episode. Agreed on the girlfriend. She is insipid. Loved the thing with the reaper guy getting chased out of the territory and the characters spoke French and there were subtitles! OMG, subtitles!

crunchycon
11-23-11, 2:45pm
I've watched NCIS from the git-go, and it's still #1 in our house. The spin-off -- not so much. I also like Person of Interest (OK, I heart Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson is one of my favorite character actors since I saw him in an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent) and continue to enjoy The Mentalist. For sitcoms, we enjoy Big Bang Theory and Rules of Engagement.

CathyA
11-23-11, 3:27pm
I wish we had cable.
As far as NCIS and the Mentalist, there is just something about mixing seriousness with goofiness that I don't like. I think NCIS could be so much better if they made it more serious all the time. The one guy (forget his name), always acts too dorky.
DH used to really like the Big Bang Theory but he said its all about sex now. Seems like that happens when the writers run out of ideas.

AmeliaJane
12-5-11, 7:39pm
For those who have Netflix streaming, the television show Terriers was just added. A columnist who has similar tastes to mine recommended it highly so I tried it out. I recommend it highly too! It is a series about two down-at-the-heels private investigators in Southern California. Reminds me a bit of Veronica Mars, which I also loved and recommend (don't be put off by the description of a high school girl detective--the first season was very well done.) Lots of humor but it can go dark too, and the platonic chemistry between the leads is super. They are friends in real life, apparently, and it really translated to the screen.

Stella
12-5-11, 8:02pm
AmeliaJane I loved Veronica Mars too. Maybe I'll have to check out Terriers.

Iris I feel the same way about the crime dramas. I'm not into being disturbed for entertainment. I love mysteries, but a lot of those shows go for the shock value.

iris lily
12-5-11, 9:31pm
I've got Terriors and Boardwalk Empire on my DVD NEtflix que.

Here is a comedy that I found stupid but hilarious: Head Case. Now this is not the best comedy I've seen, by any means. But it's in a genre I like: Hollywood poking fun at itself. Head Case is about a self-absorbed psychoanalyst who treats the glitterati for $750 per hour. She is off the wall in her ridiculous advice to them, but they flock to her. Real celebrities make cameo appearances.

It stars someone whose name I can't remember, but she is married in real life to George Stephenopulous. She is funny in this role. The other characters and side storylines are strained and stupid, I think. It only went for 2 seasons.

DonkaDoo
12-7-11, 1:05pm
I'm just about to start Deadwood! (DVD currently in the mail) I have heard so many good things about it...

One of my all time faves. Ian McShane completely makes that show. And the lady that plays Calamity Jane.

Spartana
12-7-11, 2:13pm
Side bar:
Can you use netflix if you don't have home internet access but have a laptop? I usually just rent DVD's thru the library (where I also use internet) and wonder if I could download netflix programs while at the library and watch them later at home. Is this how you do it when travelling? Or do you have to have them delivered by mail (and keep the US postal system solvent :-)!)? Also, how do you pay for a subscprition? Via CC online, direct debit or do they take checks? If I can't use netflix to get movies and TV shows were can I rent them? Do places like blockbuster have TV series you can rent? I know that I've used their kiosk boxes and rented movies (Redbox too) but they don't seem to have TV shows.

AmeliaJane
12-7-11, 10:31pm
Netflix is only streaming. Amazon and iTunes both have video that you download and play later. However, it takes a lot of bandwidth to download video so it isn't very polite to do it on a shared wi-fi connection (unless the library is really empty.) If you know anyone who has wi-fi at their house, you could go there. Netflix is a subscription so my CC gets billed monthly. The Blockbuster store I used to go to had some TV series, and the library carried some series. The other thing is that it's really easy to update your Netflix subscription address, so if you were going to be somewhere for a couple of weeks you could maybe have DVDs mailed wherever you were (depending on your situation.) It's not like a magazine that needs a lot of lead time.

Rogar
12-7-11, 10:34pm
Spartana, I do the Netflix by snail mail only. I am on the "two at time" subscription, which is about $10 per month and is billed on my credit card monthly. I'm not positive, but think credit or debit card is the only method of payment. I'm near one of their distribution centers and if I return a DVD one day I will usually get the next DVD in my list about two days later. I think they may have a "hold" option that suspends you billing and mailings if your are travelling or something, though I've not used this.

iris lily
12-8-11, 10:20am
Like Rogar I have the 2-at-a-time Netflix dvd option. I moved to Netflix after my nearby Blockbuster closed. There are still Blockbusters around, but the nearest one has practically no selection, it is all popular films. I still use the library's very extensive selection as well. Right now I've got Little Dorrit from the library and a couple of tv shows from Netflix.

Alan
12-8-11, 10:30am
Spartana, I do the Netflix by snail mail only. I am on the "two at time" subscription, which is about $10 per month and is billed on my credit card monthly. I'm not positive, but think credit or debit card is the only method of payment. I'm near one of their distribution centers and if I return a DVD one day I will usually get the next DVD in my list about two days later. I think they may have a "hold" option that suspends you billing and mailings if your are travelling or something, though I've not used this.

They do have a "hold" option. You can suspend your account for up to three months at a time. We did this when they first announced splitting up their services and billing separately, and I just renewed our hold for another three months. I'm using the only method at my disposal to express my annoyance with them, although we'll probably go back as streaming only members at the end of this hold.

gimmethesimplelife
12-9-11, 1:47am
Mad Men, definitely Mad Men. Up there with my favorite series of all time, Thirtysomething.

iris lily
12-10-11, 12:39am
Mad Men, definitely Mad Men. Up there with my favorite series of all time, Thirtysomething.

I was happy when thirtysomething finally came out on dvd, but I had a hard time slogging through the first season. I doubt that I'll go back to it other than an occasional dip to recapture the 80's.

JaneV2.0
12-11-11, 12:27pm
Am I remembering the wrong series, or did Thirty Something have the most annoying ensemble cast (and story lines) ever? And then they killed off the one likeable character? What a bunch of whiners...If not, never mind.

In other news, we watched Mutant Planet this weekend on The Science Channel. They explained migrations of Japanese macaques after glaciers receded: a matriarchal society of clever and resourceful monkeys. Also, snakes that have evolved specifically to efficiently eat snails, and tabby cats that fish. I am unrepentant; I love TV!

AmeliaJane
12-11-11, 8:38pm
Speaking of old series, a few years ago I went back and watched a couple seasons of Dallas. My grandma had just passed and it was one of her favorite shows in the '70s, so it was really about remembering her. It was a big treat to watch with Grandma when she visited because it was strictly forbidden otherwise--too racy (but of course a guest can watch what she pleases). What a hoot to discover how tame it seems nowadays. When JR is out carousing with women he is not married to, he wears a full set of pajamas and his lady friend's lingerie looks like something out of the "elderly lady" section at the department store. And why do the Ewings, one of the wealthiest families in Texas, feel like they all have to live in the same, relatively small house?

iris lily
12-11-11, 8:44pm
Am I remembering the wrong series, or did Thirty Something have the most annoying ensemble cast (and story lines) ever? And then they killed off the one likeable character? What a bunch of whiners...
Michael Steadman was the handsomest character on tv, even better than Jon Hamm now on MadMen. Yes there was a lot of whining, and Hope and Michael were perfect, and whiney Nancy had cancer and husband trouble for years on that show. But Miles Drentell was fabulous, the World Worst Boss, ever. I also liked Ellen the career girl. Recently there was a 30Something reunion and all of the women looked totally, absolutely, gorgeous!

JaneV2.0
12-11-11, 10:30pm
I didn't find Steadman remotely interesting. The guy they killed off was more my style. I didn't watch it regularly, so I only vaguely remember the boss. I didn't mind What's-his-name Busfield. Maybe his character whined less than the rest. The Nancy character made me want to reach through the screen and end her misery for her. One reason I watch very little fiction, perhaps...

Spartana
12-12-11, 7:44pm
Netflix is only streaming. Amazon and iTunes both have video that you download and play later. However, it takes a lot of bandwidth to download video so it isn't very polite to do it on a shared wi-fi connection (unless the library is really empty.) If you know anyone who has wi-fi at their house, you could go there. Netflix is a subscription so my CC gets billed monthly. The Blockbuster store I used to go to had some TV series, and the library carried some series. The other thing is that it's really easy to update your Netflix subscription address, so if you were going to be somewhere for a couple of weeks you could maybe have DVDs mailed wherever you were (depending on your situation.) It's not like a magazine that needs a lot of lead time.

Thanks for the info Amelia Jane (and Rodger, Iris Lilly and Alan). I'm mainly looking for a way that I can watch TV show or movies on DVDs both at home now and when I'll be travelling and/or camping for long periods of time. Netflix via snail mail for when at home seems best (how long can you keep the DVDs before having to return them? How many can you get at one time?). But so far nothing seems good while travelling except continuing to just rent a movie from a Redbox or Blockbuster DVD kiosk where ever I'm at and returning it the next day. Unfortuanately they don't have TV show.

iris lily
12-12-11, 9:03pm
[QUOTE=Spartana;56334]...how long can you keep the DVDs before having to return them? How many can you get at one time?[/U][/I][/B])...

You keep Netflix dvds as long as you want. I am on the two at a time plan. I think there is still a one at a time plan.

It's kind of a relief since I was racking up fines at the Library ($1 per day) so now I prioritize library dvds first. I think that their "keep as long as you want" idea is brill.

Spartana
12-13-11, 3:59pm
[QUOTE=Spartana;56334]...how long can you keep the DVDs before having to return them? How many can you get at one time?[/U][/I][/B])...

You keep Netflix dvds as long as you want. I am on the two at a time plan. I think there is still a one at a time plan.

It's kind of a relief since I was racking up fines at the Library ($1 per day) so now I prioritize library dvds first. I think that their "keep as long as you want" idea is brill.

My library rents DVDs for $1/week. So I always pick up a few at a time and don't have to return them for a week (rented "127 Hours" last night and thought it was great! Gave me itchy feet to go mountain biking in Utah though :-)!). The downside with the library giving you a week to return DVDs is that everyone is doing that and so most are checked out and the selection is very bad. I actually liked it better when you could only have then for a day or two as there was a much greater selection and rotation of DVDs.

I looked at the Netflix site and I don't think that'll work for me while travelling. I go for a longggggggg period of time (months sometimes) so need something that I can get while actually on the road where I may not have wi-fi access all the time - so no streaming either. Guess I'll stick to the Redbox/Blockbuster kiosks when I am near a town. Most places seem to have them nowadays. Wait to watch actual TV series when I am home - where ever that ends up being :-)!

Rogar
12-13-11, 10:16pm
Spartana, I hardly ever go down to the library and to just browse anymore. I check or browse on my home computer to see if what I would like to see is on the shelf, which it usually isn't, then put in request. I get an email when it comes in and they hold it for a few days to pick up. At least that how our library works it. Maybe that's common knowledge these days, but I just discovered it a few months ago.

Sometimes when I travel I'll get a few books on CD from the library and transfer them to my MP3 player.

iris lily
12-13-11, 11:54pm
My library has 23,000 dvds to choose from. But even then, I like Netflix due to no fines. Netflix also has a wider variety of the tv shows that I like.

Spartana
12-15-11, 5:12pm
Spartana, I hardly ever go down to the library and to just browse anymore. I check or browse on my home computer to see if what I would like to see is on the shelf, which it usually isn't, then put in request. I get an email when it comes in and they hold it for a few days to pick up. At least that how our library works it. Maybe that's common knowledge these days, but I just discovered it a few months ago.

Sometimes when I travel I'll get a few books on CD from the library and transfer them to my MP3 player.

I don't have an MP3 player (I'm pretty deaf and using head phones don't work for me) or home internet so wouldn't work for me but thanks for the suggestion. I actually stop by my local library everyday because it's in a big park where I run every morning. And it has a cafe where I can get coffee and a muffin afterwards and get free wi-fi. I think the bottom line is that I will need to move beyond my primitive non-tech ways and actually modernize if I want to watch movies, read books, and surf the web while travelling and staying in remote areas that don't have internet access. Not sure what would work for that.