PDA

View Full Version : Buying an airpllane

dmc
11-14-11, 6:55pm
Ive wanted one from time to time, so I figure now's the time. I'm starting lessons in a couple of weeks and will be working on that 3 day's a week. It's getting to cold for golf anyway. I should have my private pilots cert by spring. I'm looking at planes now.

My wife said it will have to count as my Christmas present. I'm kind of excited, whoo-hoo!

Now I will be able to cruise at 140mph and be llegal.

Yossarian
11-14-11, 7:04pm
Is there a decent flying club at your airport? For the vast majority of people it's easier (and more economical) to rent than buy.

It's a fun hobby. I gave it up once the kids started taking all my time and money but maybe when they are gone I'll pick it up again.

freein05
11-14-11, 7:41pm
Look into renting or sharing an airplane. The maintenance cost on an airplane can make the fun of ownership go away pretty fast.

bae
11-14-11, 7:45pm
I'm starting lessons this year too, and after some analysis, have decided it is far more frugal and simple to share ownership or rent time on a plane than to keep one entirely by myself.

I think I've already lined up a share in a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver that spends most of its time sitting in a nice hanger someone else owns :-)

Alan
11-14-11, 7:52pm
I agree with the renting or sharing idea, or better yet, if you simply must enjoy the thrill of ownership, consider a fractional ownership deal with X number of flight hours per year. The cost per hour can get pretty high on private planes and it's good to share that with others.

In my corporate days, I was involved for a few years in our flight dept. Managing a Gulfstream III, a Falcon 900EX and a fractional ownership on an older Saab was an eye-opening experience. The only way to keep the expense managable was to increase the number of flight hours per year by making the aircraft available to as many of our subsidiaries as possible.

I'm assuming you're not looking at $35M jets, but the same principles apply.

Edited to add: One thing for aircraft owners to remember. You park your coat on a hanger, and your plane in a hangar. >8)

freein05
11-14-11, 8:14pm
Used to work on the de Havilland Beaver many many years ago when I was in the Army. Very few problems nothing like rotary wing aircraft.

dmc
11-14-11, 9:04pm
I'm looking more at the Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee size. If I would need more, I would rent. Most of the time it would just be the wife and I. Most trips under 300 mile range. I know renting would be cheaper, but I feel there are advantages to owning also. I guess I have a problem with how some other people treat things, especially rentals. But I'm still in the exploratory mode now, things may change.

dmc
11-14-11, 9:15pm
Is there a decent flying club at your airport? For the vast majority of people it's easier (and more economical) to rent than buy.

It's a fun hobby. I gave it up once the kids started taking all my time and money but maybe when they are gone I'll pick it up again.

I thought about starting a few times, but never had the time with work and kids to take care of. My wife and I went to a car show at the local county airport a few weeks ago and I got to thinking about it again. I told her a plane would cost somewhere between a sports car and the house. She said it was fine with her. It may not be the most frugal thing, but we can afford it.

iris lily
11-14-11, 10:06pm
hey good luck with that dmc. I'll wave when you fly over my house! I won't ask for a ride because I am terrified of small planes and amateur pilots. Sorry!

Mrs-M
11-15-11, 7:47am
I hope all turns out well for you and you are able to full-fill your dream, Dmc. What an accomplishment, obtaining a pilots license, and in addition to, possibly (eventually) owning your own plane. Wow! Do keep us updated.

daisy
11-15-11, 12:03pm
According to a friend of ours, it is a great time to buy a plane because prices are so low due to the economy. He is a commercial jetliner pilot and just bought a Bellanca for personal use. Just remember to take into account the annual inspection and maintenance fees and not just the purchase price. Another friend of ours bought a Cessna 182 for $66k and the first annual resulted in a month in the hanger and a $24k bill. DH has his license, but hasn't flown in about 20 years. I keep trying to talk him back into it, but he can't personally justify the expense.

Spartana
11-17-11, 12:25pm
My wife said it will have to count as my Christmas present.

Wow, nice DW to get you a plane for Christmas - I only get socks :-)!

early morning
11-20-11, 2:01pm
Well just in case you have a bit extra to burn and want something outstanding:
http://www.wacoclassic.com/
My brother, a retired airshow pilot and owner-enthusiast of the antique Wacos (WACO rhymes with taco, btw...) works heavily with these wonderful new planes...they are the most gorgeous ever - JMHO :). That's the extent of my "sales pitch", lol.

dmc
12-7-11, 3:46pm
While the Waco's look very nice, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking more for something that my wife and I can hop in, along with two passengers, and take 200 to 300 mile trips. Along with the 1500 mile vacation. I'm thinking Cessna 182's, Piper 180's, and Mooney's. Today I like the Mooney's, but tommorow that may change.

I just started lessons so I'm just looking now.

dmc
4-23-12, 4:46pm
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n550/dmcummins/beechcraft.jpg

Took a while, but it should be delivered next week. I ended up with a Beechcraft.

Spartana
4-27-12, 6:18pm
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n550/dmcummins/beechcraft.jpg

Took a while, but it should be delivered next week. I ended up with a Beechcraft.

Purty ;-)!! I'm not a big fan of planes per se, but I do think it would be nice to just hop in and take off into the wild (or is that wide?) blue yonder. Especially if you have a reasonably save, inexpensive and easily-accessible place to store it. I'm too much of a minimalist to own a plane and all it's needs (although a fast little motorcycle is something I've been eye-balling - or a jet pack (do they make those :-)!)) but I can see why people would want one. Probably makes travel by car seem very, very slow :-)!

Yossarian
4-27-12, 6:24pm
Too many tail sections. ;)

dmc
5-3-12, 7:43am
The plane went out for a little spin yesterday. St. Louis to Milwaukee in less than two hours. And no TSA, lines at the airport, baggage handlers, or restrictions on what I can carry. Just drive up to the hanger, preflight, and away we go. Ive been looking at the maps and from St. Louis I can be in New Orleans in under 4hrs, Miami in 6, Chicago in under 2. I think I'm going to like this.

dmc
5-30-12, 8:51am
An update, I now have my pilots license, but I still need some added endorsements in order to fly my plane without a instructor since its high performance/complex. But that shouldn't take long.

Mrs-M
5-30-12, 11:47am
Beautiful plane! Very happy for you, Dmc!

Tussiemussies
7-24-12, 9:25pm
Wow dmc, what an exciting adventure. Good luck with getting your license. Fill us in on whether you decide to rent or own...