PDA

View Full Version : Simple Thanksgiving

Merski
11-20-11, 7:38am
This year I'm planning a simple Thanksgiving. MIL is moving in with us mid -December so we're all caught up in that and my BIL died recently and I don't have it in me to do the big holiday. My problem is DH's sister and her husband may want to come over but they often turn a meal into high drama. We are going to have a turkey dinner on Wed. or Thursday and of course MIL is invited if SIL wants to come , we're going to make it plain to her that it is nothing more than a turkey dinner, served at X p.m. and they are welcome to come at anytime but may have leftovers or dessert based on their arrival time (they are always late).

Is anyone else altering the holiday to suit their own needs.

That aside I wish you all a very peaceful yet joy filled Thanksgiving.

flowerseverywhere
11-20-11, 8:56am
Yes, I said we are having turkey at 4 pm Thanksgiving day, in reality it will be around 4:30 as I also have a relative who is always late. I always do Thanksgiving and ask everyone what time and day is good for them and get into this big jostling of times and menu. I am stuffing a turkey, making gravy, mashed potatoes and 2 plain fresh vegetables, butternut squash and broccoli which makes a colorful plate. No one needs anything else. A guest will bring a pie, and depending on how many come I have another pie or two in the freezer I can take out. Sil's family hasn't told me yet if they are coming, but another relative said that they weren't going to make it that early. When they arrive it is like a hurricane has hit the house, noise, commotion, drama, and it's like they are all saying "look at me, look at me." I can always make more or less potatoes. We have no alcohol or appetizers, the idea is to be thankful not stuff ourselves silly or be drinking around the little ones.

There will be three extra people and some youngsters staying at my house, the adults might want to go to black Friday (or black Thursday evening) sales but I'll stay home and babysit.

Every year I simplify more, stay calm and really enjoy all the holidays. I am also getting much better at keeping the house clean and uncluttered so that is a huge help- I need to change all the sheets and clean the bathrooms Tuesday, and Wednesday vacuum and dust, but pretty much everything is ready and I would do that anyway. If SIL gives me any flack I'll be very nice and smile and won't get sucked in, just offer them a plate of food or desert, I'm getting really good at that after all these years. I hate the drama and noise. The little ones are used to sitting at the table in their homes with music on, and talking to their parents calmly- a very nice habit to get into and I keep it up when they come here. Things go much smoother if you keep the routine up.

Have a nice calm peaceful holiday.

ctg492
11-20-11, 10:15am
Good Luck holding to your plans Of a Simple Thanksgiving.
I try to stay home/go to church or just be thankful each holiday. I am greatful my folks are still around and able to have holidays at their home....however there in lies the problem. We have to drive to get there 3 1/2 each way, then the hoopla of the event, then home. I have never once enjoyied the events. This year I said nope we will come over anyday, bring them their favorite meal and it will non stress and nice. Oops yesterday it all changed and guess who is coming to dinner? US. Oh well still thankfull.

Spartana
11-20-11, 10:50am
Sis and I plan to go skiing or snowshoeing and then eat out somewhere. Very simple and no messy clean ups :-)!

iris lily
11-20-11, 11:34am
Spartana, your plans sound fun! I like doing that kind of thing on a traditional holiday.

flowersareeverwhere, I am with you. When we cook T-Dinner we DO have a sizeable turkey for the two of us, but the rest--just simple side dishes, one dessert. DH like shaving turkey sandwiches and turkey oddle soup for the days following. T's enough of a mess to clean up that turkey and carcass, who need more cleanup?

goldensmom
11-20-11, 12:08pm
Simplified years ago, we go out to eat then sometime later I will make a turkey dinner with all the trimmings but on the holiday proper, no work or stress.

Rosemary
11-20-11, 2:39pm
A few groups from our church who have no extended family in town are getting together that day, so it will be a potluck Thanksgiving with less work for everyone and lots of fellowship.

citrine
11-20-11, 3:54pm
We don't have our kitchen finished yet....so everyone is going for indian buffet....football and hanging out afterwards at our house....easy peasy :)

Simpler at Fifty
11-20-11, 5:25pm
We are doing the traditional turkey dinner. We have another couple over. We eat after the game. The Packers play the Lions every year. I will put out very few snacks during the game because we like to enjoy the full meal. I could most of the dinner although DH has been doing the turkey the last few years. I love to plan and cook Thanksgiving dinner. DH does the cooking every week so this is one day I get to cook.

Merski- I would tell SIL to come about 4 hours late. That way you can enjoy the dinner with MIL and then when they get there, you can have a small snack with them.

goldensmom
11-20-11, 6:37pm
We are doing the traditional turkey dinner. We have another couple over. We eat after the game. The Packers play the Lions every year. I will put out very few snacks during the game because we like to enjoy the full meal. I could most of the dinner although DH has been doing the turkey the last few years. I love to plan and cook Thanksgiving dinner. DH does the cooking every week so this is one day I get to cook.

Merski- I would tell SIL to come about 4 hours late. That way you can enjoy the dinner with MIL and then when they get there, you can have a small snack with them.

Lions > Packers

Merski
11-20-11, 6:48pm
Oh! Simpler at Fifty, that would be a hoot!

HappyHiker
11-20-11, 7:10pm
Yep, ours looks pretty simple this year. Will be helping a friend with her first Thanksgiving dinner prep ever. She's doing the turkey, stuffing, a casserole and a salad, a dessert. I'm bringing the sweet potato casserole, cranberry/orange relish and a key lime pie. And she's asked me to make the gravy so I'll have to study up on that as I've not made gravy in years. Since our feast is not with family but with friends, I expect minimal drama...yippee! Of course, not having Uncle Ed lying under the dining room table drunk with my aunt feeding him bits of turkey might be a little dull...

redfox
11-20-11, 8:37pm
Our fab tribe of dear friends has a potluck most years. I loaned the host my turkey roasting pan & all the gear, and my DH & are bringing roasted veggies & a pumpkin based dessert made from two sugar pumpkins I have. I love holiday potlucks!

Tradd
11-20-11, 9:39pm
It appears no T'giving dinner for me this year. Everyone who might invite me is out of town or going to a relatives! You know, that's OK with me - this year! I'm in the midst of getting over a sinus infection (went to the doc Friday and got antibiotics) and just want to rest, as well as working on stuff for my theological course (almost done!) and the US customs brokers exam in April I began studying for this weekend.

I have to work Friday. The last few we've had it off, but company merged with another last month, and Friday off will no longer happen. However, the mgmt is being flexible this year as many already had things planned. And as I'm the only single/doesn't kids in my department, I was essentially told I *had* to come in, since everyone has black Friday plans, etc. Which stinks. My plans to study didn't make the cut. I flat out told the boss, and everyone else in the department, they OWE me for this one.

Zoebird
11-20-11, 11:39pm
we live in a country that doesn't care about it, and besides it's late spring and a turkey costs -- get this -- at least $65. LOL That was one on sale! And a SMALL one at that. No turkey for us. LOL Goose is about the same, but duck is affordable.

it's actually ok not having this holiday. :D

Tradd
11-20-11, 11:53pm
we live in a country that doesn't care about it, and besides it's late spring and a turkey costs -- get this -- at least $65. LOL That was one on sale! And a SMALL one at that. No turkey for us. LOL Goose is about the same, but duck is affordable.

it's actually ok not having this holiday. :D

I guess you could always roast a chicken.

Zoebird
11-21-11, 1:13am
we roast chickens 4 times a week, so that would be like, normal thursday.

flowerseverywhere
11-21-11, 3:03am
I have to work Friday. The last few we've had it off, but company merged with another last month, and Friday off will no longer happen. However, the mgmt is being flexible this year as many already had things planned. And as I'm the only single/doesn't kids in my department, I was essentially told I *had* to come in, since everyone has black Friday plans, etc. Which stinks. My plans to study didn't make the cut. I flat out told the boss, and everyone else in the department, they OWE me for this one.

I am sorry you are being discriminated against. You are just as important as everyone else and your plans are just as important.

I used to work a mile from my house. Whenever the weather was bad people used to come in an hour or two late but I was expected to be there on time. Drove me crazy, I had to snowblow the driveway and shovel the walk too!

goldensmom
11-21-11, 6:08am
It appears no T'giving dinner for me this year. Everyone who might invite me is out of town or going to a relatives! You know, that's OK with me - this year! I'm in the midst of getting over a sinus infection (went to the doc Friday and got antibiotics) and just want to rest, as well as working on stuff for my theological course (almost done!) and the US customs brokers exam in April I began studying for this weekend.

2 things Tradd. First, when I was single and employed, I was treated similarly. I interpreted it as 'you're single, you don't have a life, our plans are more important than yours so you do it'. I dealt with it by thinking 'if you need to think that to feel good/better or superior then I'll give that to you as a gift'. Some years I planned time off and travel early so when the holiday rolled around I just wasn't there.

Secondly, I was recovering from pneumonia many years ago (single and employed) and minus the pneumonia part, I had one of the most peaceful, restful Thanksgivings ever, alone with no invitations or expectations, disappointments, etc..

treehugger
11-21-11, 11:55am
What could be simpler than eating Thanksgiving lunch at the Alzheimer's home with DH's grandma? They even cut up our meat for us!

Kara

Gardenarian
11-21-11, 4:42pm
We're going to the neighbors for potluck - it's become a tradition, with about 20 of us in the neighborhood (ages 2-95) taking part. All I have to do is make salad. A really BIG salad, but easy.

We always go on a family hike (we live next to a state park/mountain) on Thanksgiving to "earn our dinner" and talk about what we are thankful for.

Dd and I are also going to a traditional Native American moccasin making workshop over the weekend. Really looking forward to that! Shoes are one thing I've never made.

Charity
11-22-11, 12:20pm
I'm making the turkey dinner as usual. I love doing it. What has gotten complicated for the holidays is dealing with my daughter and my new son-in-law and my new grandson-in-law. Both sets of parents are divorced and SIL has an ex-wife. Pinning down their schedule is nearly impossible because there are so many separate families involved and everyone wants to see the grandson. I think last year my DD & SIL ate four turkey dinners in two days.

On the positive side, this year will be a lot easier because I had a dinner party on Sunday so my house is already clean and all the little stuff I do for company, like polishing silverware and serving pieces is done. And the pate I made for the dinner party makes a lot so I have the other half of it for the appetizer for Thanksgiving. All I have left to do is cook the dinner.

dado potato
11-23-11, 6:34pm
Mama built 7 pies today: pumpkin, apple, cherry and lemon-meringue.. they are cooling on the sun porch. We will take the pies tomorrow to a gathering on Barker Lake. The Packers game and then a repast. Could be 20-25 people. Sharing food that really schmecks.