PDA

View Full Version : Old bras

mira
11-20-11, 12:21pm
Odd question, but does anyone have any ideas on how old/unwanted bras could be reused or recycled?? Second-hand stores are not going to be snapping them up ;)

chanterelle
11-20-11, 12:45pm
http://www.thetaoofmakingmoney.com/2007/05/18/369.html

check this link...growing tomatoes in a bra!!!! This would get your garden noticed!

Aqua Blue
11-20-11, 1:55pm
I think my dog would love one as a chew toy. He's sorta bra guy,lol. I see ones in pretty good shape at goodwill, so I wouldn't rule that out.

edited to add: I have bought quite a few at garage sales thru the years.

Mrs-M
11-20-11, 4:34pm
Mira. The only thing I can come up with is, tomato/bean stake ties.

Chanterelle. How creative! LMAO! (Mrs-M calls out to family at breakfast time, "how does toasted bacon, tomato, cheese sandwiches sound this morning? I just picked a juicy ripe 44D")! ROTFLMAO!!!

Aqua Blue. ROTFLMAO! Cute, and funny!

reader99
11-20-11, 4:38pm
Odd question, but does anyone have any ideas on how old/unwanted bras could be reused or recycled?? Second-hand stores are not going to be snapping them up ;)

Snapping them up. haha

redfox
11-20-11, 4:43pm
Since the support in a bra comes from th band, not the cups or strqps, once the band is shot, the entire thing is shot. Such a goofy design. I sadly add mine to the landfill, with regret.... love the tomato idea!

loosechickens
11-20-11, 11:33pm
to prevent bras getting old before their time, never put them in a dryer......if you always line dry your bras, there will be far fewer of them to try to find uses for......

in fact, not only for electricity or gas savings, but also for savings of your clothes in general, best to not use a dryer at all, if possible. Dryer "lint", is, after all, nothing but little bits of your clothes, slowly disintegrating from the tumbling in the dryer.

But, especially anything with elastic......elastic HATES dryers.......

Dhiana
11-21-11, 12:00am
I recently met a woman who takes old bras and makes them into fun handbags! Lots of designs if you Google 'bra handbags'...

Mrs-M
11-21-11, 8:15am
Originally posted by Loosechickens.
elastic HATES dryersGosh, does it ever. The extended wear-value one is able to enjoy simply by air/clothesline drying is exponential!

Selah
11-21-11, 9:26am
I mentioned this to DH--we are both Jewish--and he suggested making two yarmulkes (kippot), each with chinstraps! :)

treehugger
11-21-11, 11:46am
I mentioned this to DH--we are both Jewish--and he suggested making two yarmulkes (kippot), each with chinstraps! :)

Great idea! With chinstraps, you could do away with the need for all those ever-present bobby pins! :)

reader99
11-21-11, 11:58am
Great idea! With chinstraps, you could do away with the need for all those ever-present bobby pins! :)

A real boon to bald guys

treehugger
11-21-11, 12:09pm
A real boon to bald guys

That's funny. I never thought about how bald men hold their yarmulkes on. Double-stick tape? No bald men within my circle of Jewish relatives.

Kara

Simplicity
11-21-11, 1:41pm
LOL that is hilarious! I now have a really funny mental image of that burned into my mind! hahaha

Gardenarian
11-21-11, 3:27pm
Using a lingerie bag in the washer (along with line drying) will help extend the life of bras. I can always find a use for elastic, so I would definitely cut off the straps and keep those. Maybe you could use the cup parts to line small pant pots, to keep the soil from falling through?

kally
11-21-11, 3:57pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/sussex/8102989.stm
this is cool for decent used bras.

mira
11-23-11, 6:11pm
Hahahhaa I'm loving these suggestions :) That's it, I'm going to work tomorrow in my bra hat, carrying my 36B handbag, haha! ^ I wish there were bra banks around here! Brighton is known for being a very 'cool', liberal area and is the only region in the entire country where the Green Party got the majority.

The bras I want to rid myself of are perfectly fine; they just no longer fit or have something weird about them. One gives my boobs CORNERS - what's up with that?! I'm never ordering bras online again.

HMMM... all these suggestions are very good food for thought!

puglogic
11-28-11, 9:57pm
Does anyone know how hard it is to sew a new hook-and-eye setup onto the back? I have a couple of very expensive athletic bras that still fit well and work great, but the hooks and eyes get strange. The eyes sometimes pull halfway out so it seems I'm going to get stabbed in the back by a wire. Some the hooks get stripped out or off. I hate to throw the darned things away but I don't have a sewing machine that works. Can they be fixed by hand?

treehugger
11-29-11, 12:12pm
Does anyone know how hard it is to sew a new hook-and-eye setup onto the back? ... Can they be fixed by hand?

I'm sure you could do it by hand. I haven't done this specifically, but I have done other bra mending by hand, including replacing the center piece between the cups. A thimble is helpful here, especially if the fabric is very thick. Also strong thread and a very sharp needle.

Kara