PDA

View Full Version : Posture help

Gardenarian
11-21-11, 6:26pm
My daughter has developed that cursed adolescent slump. I wouldn't be concerned except that all my in-laws and her dad (whom she takes after strongly) all have dreadful posture.

Does anyone have experience with back braces to encourage proper posture? There are quite a few available on Amazon, none of them very highly rated.

DD takes ballet and other dance classes, as well as gymnastics and some yoga, but unless she is really thinking about it she even slouches during her classes. It is so unattractive, and unhealthy!

(I have turned into that nagging mother - "Stand up straight!") :doh:

Zoebird
11-21-11, 8:59pm
back braces, no.

i would recommend confidence training, comportment (or deportment depending upon what they call it in your area), in addition to the ballet, yoga, etc.

The big thing about the teen-slump is mostly about wanting to disappear or not be seen. Standing up straight is saying "I am here. You cannot deny my existence." (think about a rooster! :D) Teens, generally, don't want this. Then, it becomes habitually ingrained.

I have always had good posture, and worked to maintain it, and even as an adult, people give me all kinds of sh*t about my posture and how I always stand tall. And I do stand tall.

And not to get all woo-woo, but the real fix for a person (teen or not) to be seen or unseen is the use of the Aura. When you understand how to control how far out you can cast your aura, you can be virtually invisible or well, sparkle with a heck of a lot of charisma ("movie stars" for example, really cast out a wide aura -- you can usually tell the ones who are going to be very successful by how well they can work/move around their eyes, and how well they can project their aura).

SO, I can stand up straight as always AND contract my aura making me virtually invisible -- as in, sneak into a space, walk just past people, even make a lot of noise, and people will go "oh! i didn't see you there!" until I extend out the aura OR I can walk down the street like a movie star, and even get snapped by paps in LA because they are sure that i'm "someone." Seriously, it has happened. My husband can do it too, but he has less control of it.

It's it's own yoga siddha practice -- the practice of being invisible -- which is about energy and aura.

Anyway, that's probably more than you needed AND didn't answer your question.

Gardenarian
11-23-11, 2:18pm
Hi Zoebird -
I agree that attitude is a huge part of walking posture. It took me a long time to learn to hold my head up high (when I was growing up it was common for boys and men to whistle and catcall every time a girl walked by. I found it really intimidating.) So I have made it a point to teach dd to walk confidently. My daughter practices parkour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour), which gives excellent training in creating a inviolate space around you as you move in public. I didn't know about the yoga practice (and I want to learn more about it,) but the practice of being invisible and working with aura is something that comes up not only in parkour but in dd's wilderness skills and tracking classes. She wants to be a ninja :)

The slouching in classes may have some aspect of wanting not to be seen.

The main problem that concerns me is when she is sitting. She spends a great deal of time making art, reading, and writing, and she slouches terribly when she is sitting. Her back bends into almost a forward arch. I have tried various chairs, but they haven't made a great deal of difference.

Has anyone tried sitting on one of those balance balls? I think that would help, but getting her to use it might be tricky.

Zoebird
11-23-11, 3:11pm
I love parkour. It's a great practice.

You might consider standing workstations, too.

The balance balls work well, but a lot of people loose posture over time when using it because the body naturally compensates.

The reality is that it needs to be coming from within her as well. It doesn't matter what you would do or provide for her if she isn't motivated to manage this herself.