PDA

View Full Version : earache coming on

Catwoman
11-22-11, 7:34pm
I have an earache coming on...slight pain, squishy feel in the morning, stuffy head as a whole...but I don't have a netti pot, any home remedies effective for yall?
I am still trying hard not to go to doc or get antibiotics unless really necessary.

Thanks much!!!

CathyA
11-22-11, 8:03pm
Can you take a combo of Mucinex and Sudafed? Be sure to drink lots of water.
You can make a mixture of 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and just breath some into your nose (not your lungs). Do this several times and
then gently blow your nose.
A heating pad to your ear will give you some comfort.
Good luck. Earaches are a real pain!

JaneV2.0
11-22-11, 8:16pm
I do not--repeat--do not recommend this. I've had exactly one earache in my life, and it was excruciating. I was young and living with my parents and for some unknown reason, I grabbed my mother's bottle of DMSO (commonly used as an arthritis rub) and poured it in my ear. Some fizzing and bubbling later, sweet relief. I'm happy I didn't dissolve my brain. And I have to admit, I might do it again, if the occasion arose.

Catwoman
11-23-11, 7:19am
Thanks for suggestions! Its some better today..

Mrs-M
11-23-11, 7:49am
Catwoman. So happy to hear it's better. (Don't leave it too long though, if it's still bothering you in a day or two, seek medical attention). P.S. By chance, do you insert anything into your ear canals on a regular basis?

Marianne
11-23-11, 8:02am
Sounds like it might be a bit wet/damp inside there? Generic Benadryl at night should help that.

BUT! If it continues, don't linger to get to the doc. DH put off going to the doc, tried peroxide, all kinds of stuff. It ended up being Swimmer's Ear and he was in a lot of pain for sometime afterwards. He was put on antibotic ear drops and oral antibiotics.

(He wears hearing aids and had been outside a lot working in the heat. Swimmer's Ear is a bacterial infection.)

CathyA
11-23-11, 8:19am
When I was going through perimenopause, I had all sorts of weird things happen to me. One day, everything started sounded very tin-y to me. Then the pain started. It was horrible. I started antibiotics about a day later. If the pain gets really bad catwoman, I wouldn't hesitate starting antibiotics. The ear has so many fragile little parts and you don't want them to get injured.
Oh......and make sure its not from having too much ear wax. Some people just make alot of wax and that can irritate the eardrum.

Mrs. Hermit
11-23-11, 9:43am
I am dealing with double ear infections right now. DON"T WAIT if it continues to bother you!! The pain gets outright nasty.

peggy
11-23-11, 9:45am
My husband uses hydrogen peroxide in the ear to clean it. It bubbles and fizzes and I guess feels weird, but works. I sure hope you don't have to fly this holiday!

CathyA
11-23-11, 10:14am
Just be careful pouring stuff in your ears when you have pain. The eardrum might be ruptured.

Hmmm.....I never thought of using hydrogen peroxide on my son's ears when he was little. He made soooooo
much wax, it was always a problem. Wish I'd thought of that back then! But it can be sort of sting-y on the skin.
Definitely cheaper than all the OTC stuff to clean the ear.

JaneV2.0
11-23-11, 10:50am
If I remember correctly, OTC ear wash kits contain peroxide and glycerin.

CathyA
11-23-11, 10:59am
The glycerin probably protects the tissues from burning from the peroxide. Sure wish I knew this back when DS was small!

Catwoman
11-23-11, 12:03pm
I have used the peroxide method before with success. I think this problem is due to drainage/fluid from sinuses...does that make sense? I used some saline nasal spray and it seemed to help a bit.

I feel like if I went to the beach and got a good dunking in the ocean my head would clear out! too cold for that, even here in beautiful so. tx.

peggy
11-23-11, 12:35pm
I don't know about the glycerin, but my hubby puts a little olive oil in the ear after he cleans them.

CathyA
11-23-11, 12:43pm
Alot of my ear problems were from the eustachian tubes getting blocked. So I try to keep them clear by using a home-made saline spray, and drinking lots of water. for awhile, I had to use Mucinex alot to keep the tubes clear. Eating too much salt can cause the tubes problems too. Did you know there is a little sodium pump in your ear? And it can get overloaded.

Gardenarian
11-23-11, 3:43pm
If you don't have a neti pot you can use a little cream pitcher or even just use your hand to direct some warm salt water through the nostrils. It really helps so much! Also, take steamy showers, and put a few drops of warm olive oil in the ear. Best wishes! I just hate earaches.

nswef
11-23-11, 9:52pm
I've used white vingar in my ear when it feels icky. Seems to work. I think it even helped vertigo once....

Jemima
11-25-11, 4:33am
I have used the peroxide method before with success. I think this problem is due to drainage/fluid from sinuses...does that make sense? I used some saline nasal spray and it seemed to help a bit.

I feel like if I went to the beach and got a good dunking in the ocean my head would clear out! too cold for that, even here in beautiful so. tx.

I get stuffed-up, ringing ears with occasional pain every ragweed season (fall) and sometimes during other pollen seasons. I spent four days in the house until this evening and the congestion in my ears was nearly cleared up. Then I took the trash out and - BINGO! - stuffed ears again.

So far I've tried Allegra (OTC doesn't work, the prescription generic did but is now hard to find), plain antihistamines (which make me slightly depressed and sleepy), decongestants (too stimulating to sleep at night), Vicks, and abstaining from dairy. Tomorrow I may try 'the peroxide cure'.

The only thing that really clears it up for me is a hard frost, and it looks like that isn't going to happen any time soon. UGH. :sick:

Mighty Frugal
11-25-11, 12:20pm
My neti-pot warns that if you have an ear infection DO NOT use the neti-pot. I had a bad bad cold/flu earlier this year. Bought the neti-pot because some many recommended it. Used it-didn't produce a lot of 'stuff'. A few days later still sick, went to doctors and had an ear infection..d'oh...

Not sure why but when we were young my mom would put a drop of warm milk in our ear when we complained it hurt