PDA

View Full Version : simple Thanksgiving due to Simple Living Forums

flowerseverywhere
11-28-11, 12:17pm
I don't think I realized how much my life has changed in the ten years I have been frequenting this forum until this weekend.

First the house was a cinch to get ready. Thanks to the decluttering encouragement I have gotten here it was very easy to dust, vacuum and clean the bathrooms before everyone came. The people who had little ones who came to my house this weekend commented on how easy it was to be in my house, as there is no junk around.

I didn't worry about the meal, I made a simple meal of turkey, stuffing (someone cut up the bread for me), mashed potatoes , gravy and plain vegetables. (you have to do some work of course.) Most of this I was able to get ready in less than an hour. My guests set the table, helped me get the food on, bought desert and served it and even rinsed dishes and loaded the dishwasher. I didn't worry about Alcohol, someone bought some beer along but we could have done without.

Also, while everyone was worrying about Christmas and black friday sales, I didn't give it a thought. I only give a few gifts and these I plan far in advance. We did look at some of the circulars and laughed at some of the stuff on sale. A donut maker, seriously. I do not know one person who needs a donut maker in their house.

We didn't turn the TV on until a football game in the afternoon. We were too busy talking and playing with the kids. I had crayons and playdoh in the kitchen and the adults joined in. there was a puzzle on the coffee table and everyone worked on that too.

So all of the feedback and encouragement I get here really has been wonderful and I wanted to give thanks for helping me be on track. It is so easy to get sucked into consumerism and I have so much to be thankful for.

I am on my way to give blood, which is a gift I hope that others consider giving - it is the one gift that costs nothing but time, you don't have to look at a sales circular to get the best deal and might save a life.

leslieann
11-28-11, 3:58pm
It sounds lovely, flowerseverywhere. What a nice day you had, and what a nice tribute to how things have changed in your life. Thanks for the inspiration.

fidgiegirl
11-28-11, 5:50pm
I loved reading your post, too, flowers. It is quite amazing how changes sown in one area of life bloom in another. I'm sure you weren't setting out to have more satisfying and beautiful Thanksgiving Day holidays when you started on your quest, but it was a beautiful flower you were able to enjoy as the result of all your efforts.

Gardenarian
11-28-11, 5:57pm
What a great Thanksgiving!

sumarie
11-28-11, 10:44pm
Thank you for the inspiring words, flowerseverywhere. A lovely post.

flowerseverywhere
11-29-11, 9:00am
Thanks. I just wanted to give inspiration to others who are overwhelmed by the holiday. We all have choices in how we live our lives, but it does take a while to extract yourself from the holiday consumerism if you are connected to family members. Each small step adds up until you look around and you are there!

jennipurrr
11-29-11, 10:32am
What a great holiday! Thanks for sharing