PDA

View Full Version : Anybody take magnesium?

frugal-one
11-28-11, 7:04pm
I have been reading how magnesium helps/reduces all kinds of sicknesses and increases energy. I'm wondering if you can take too much and what else it causes besides diarrhea?? Obviously there is some in a multivitamin but sounds like additional supplementation would be worthwhile? Thanks!

CathyA
11-28-11, 8:24pm
Hi Frugal-one............I'm here again!
No, there aren't any other side-effects from taking too much, other than diarrhea. And you need to take additional amounts......like a good supplement that has about 200-250mg per pill. I think its good to take Calcium with it too. I take Caltrate plus, twice a day, and then magnesium citrate twice a day with it. Calcium and magnesium work together. Plus, you can take more magnesium, since the Calcium seems to keep the diarrhea at bay.
The Citrate form of magnesium is supposedly better absorbed.

kally
11-28-11, 9:22pm
I am using a spray on magnesium that goes through the skin. I got it at the Medicine shop and maybe it works or not, but for now I am giving it a shot (literally)

puglogic
11-28-11, 11:28pm
I have added it to my bedtime supplements on the nights when I want to be sure to sleep well, and it has helped.

chrisgermany
11-29-11, 5:15am
I take a pill every other day to avoid hands falling asleep easily.
My mom takes magnesium against cramps in her legs at night.
Helps and so far without side effects.

Acorn
11-29-11, 9:48am
I take it because it is supposed to help with high blood pressure, but I don't think it's really made a difference to mine.

frugal-one
11-29-11, 11:50am
Thanks for responding! I have been talking to people and have learned that some also take it for migraines. I think this merits more research!!!!!

JaneV2.0
11-29-11, 12:19pm
Whereas calcium--which is widely promoted--contracts muscles, magnesium relaxes them. It's an excellent remedy for tension of any kind, in my experience. I take 500 mg or so on a daily basis.

Simplemind
11-30-11, 10:20pm
I just started taking a liquid calcium/mag supplement. It is blueberry flavored and not that bad. I have fibro so I wanted to see if it helped with muscle tension.

frugal-one
11-30-11, 10:38pm
I talked to an herbalist today to set up an appointment and mentioned that I was considering taking magnesium. She stated it was a great idea since it helps muscles to relax.