PDA

View Full Version : fashion lemmings

pinkytoe
11-28-11, 9:12pm
I guess I've been living in a cave because I just noticed that most of the women I work with complely changed their wardrobes when cooler weather got here. I mean conmpletely changed it from last winter. In just one season, they traded their straight leg and boot cut pants for skinny ones. Leggings and riding boots are everywhere. It baffles me how many women follow trends so that they all end up dressed the same. Not too mention the expense of doing so.

redfox
11-28-11, 9:57pm
I too wonder about the expense of seasonal & annual fashion changes. Personal ornamentation has been a documented part of human behavior as far back as we have archaeological records. I think it's a core aspect of self expression, including those of us who eschew fashion - that in and of itself is a stance.

Not being a fan of name calling, I prefer to think of fashionistas as different from me culturally. I have my own clothing & jewelry ornamentation tastes. Some days, it's Goodwill vintage, some days it's hippie jeans n sweaters, once in a great while, it's a velvet skirt, silk blouse, and rad boots.

Zoebird
11-28-11, 10:19pm
I had a funny experience with this in my offices.

When we moved here, I brought the jeans that I had -- levis, with a boot cut. They fit well, and they were affordable (got them on sale) and I happened to find some made in a fair-er trade area (taiwan as opposed to china, indonesia, etc).

The fashion here, though was skinny jeans. But, the ladies in the office were all too portly for skinny jeans, and so they were wearing straight leg jeans. Then, because they didn't like me (changing the culture and all as new owner), they made derisive statements about "boot cut is just no different than, what? bell bottoms?!" heheheehhhee.

What made me laugh is that these women were NOT fashionistas. They were not that well dressed or shod, nor were they fashionable really. They dressed rather dumpy and their clothes were in disrepair -- particularly comparatively. I simply ignored their snarky statements, but thought it was funny.

The fashion here in NZ is very drapey clothes (i assume a UK-trend as well). I HATE the look of it. H-A-T-E the look of it. I follow largely NY and French design overall, with strong classic lines. I add to it accessories as I go, and keep it all rather simple and well fitted.

I always look nice, and feminine, but never trendy. And i don't wear sacks. I had the gosh darned sack clothing.

iris lily
11-28-11, 10:41pm
Well I have to say that I remember seeing my very cute 60 year old friend in leggings and boots last winter, so I don't think it is all of a sudden.

edited to add: Now that I think of it, my 65 year old tiny friend has worn leggings and boots for 2 or 3 years.

We have some fashionable seniors here in my 'nabe.

JaneV2.0
11-28-11, 11:54pm
By the time I figure out what's going on, fashion-wise, it's moved on--even as I'm thumbing through Vogue (Italian Vogue, when I can find/afford it). Which is OK, because I can catch up at the thrifts. I do love clothing and accessories, but I'll leave the fashion merry-go-round to others.

ApatheticNoMore
11-29-11, 2:08am
Who has the time or energy?

lizii
11-29-11, 4:02am
Who has the time or energy?

Who has the money?

goldensmom
11-29-11, 5:57am
My winter attire consists of bringing out the jeans and adding a sweater to my summer attire. Clothing fashion has never been important to me. Clean and in well repair is my concern. I have always dressed conservative and traditional, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean type of clothing. I want my clothing to last for many years and in most cases it has. Therefore, I rarely notice when fashions change but I do notice when body parts hang out of clothing which may be a fashion statement or indication of weight gain.

sweetana3
11-29-11, 6:06am
I think it is funny that the shirtwaist dress has returned with the Duchess of Cambridge's choices. Long sleeves, knee length, belt, peter pan color, etc. Same thing we saw in the 70s and I remember having the look for work.

Now I am comfortable period.

snowbirdpat
11-29-11, 7:24am
I buy my clothes (and I don't have a lot) almost exclusively at Value Village. For winter I have 3 pairs of dark work pants which I alternate with 3 or four fleece tops (no hoods) and one nice blouse. I work in a professional office and sometimes have to meet clients and this seems to be acceptable attire. One pair of work shoes which I leave under my desk and some classic pieces of jewellery. I hate clothes shopping, so I make sure if I buy something, that I love it and it doesn't guilt me from the closet because I'm not wearing it.

crunchycon
11-29-11, 8:49am
Pretty much what goldensmom said. I spent some money and was gifted a total of four wool Pendleton suits (pants, skirt and jacket) a few years back. They form my work wardrobe all year with short-sleeve blouses and tee shirts for summer; turtlenecks, long-sleeve blouses and cardigans for winter. I should say that I work in a business casual environment, but have a high-visibility job, so I have to err on the business side of business casual. I expect these suits to last until my retirement in the next decade. Clean, classic and non-trendy are my mottoes.

Merski
11-29-11, 10:13am
I'm the goodwill/consignment shopper and don't have too many clothes but mostly classics and get constant positive feedback about my clothes and fashion sense from fellow workers and library patrons.

Mrs-M
11-29-11, 10:13am
Individuality rules (in this case)! I have always lived my life poised as a leader, not a follower...

pinkytoe
11-29-11, 10:19am
On the way in, I noted lots of tights and drapy tunics which for whatever reason remind me of Robin Hood or Peter Pan. I was wondering too why men never wear such attire - would be an interesting change from slacks.

jennipurrr
11-29-11, 11:08am
I LOVE that riding boots are in style right now. I want a pair for Christmas. I've been looking for a pair for the past couple years and now they are everywhere. I don't do boots with heels and will wear them long after they are the thing. Tall women rejoice!

I'm not so sure about the skinny jeans though, but I can pull off leggings. Most of my clothes are pretty classic/practical. But, I like to have a couple of fun trendy things.

KayLR
11-29-11, 12:19pm
I like the fashion philosophy of this blogger. I have pretty much adopted it for myself.
http://smallnotebook.org/2011/04/07/add-classic-style-to-the-small-wardrobe/

* Use the 3-piece rule. – People look so much more put together in the fall than in the summer, don’t they? It’s because they’re wearing 3 pieces: a shirt and pants with a jacket, cardigan, or scarf to complete the outfit. Even in the summer you can put on a lightweight scarf for more polish.

* Good quality. – When it fits well, the fabric is nice quality, and it’s the right color for me, I don’t mind wearing the same clothes over and over again.

* I forfeited my casual clothes. – A long time ago I realized that casual clothes such as t-shirts make me look too casual instead of cute. I don’t have a set of casual clothes for staying at home and dressy clothes for going out. I just have one set of “comfortably dressy” clothes that I wear all the time.

* Wear scarves. – If there is one common fashion style in Italy, it’s that everyone is wearing a scarf. I have a couple of different scarves that I wear to bring welcome color to my otherwise neutral outfits. Plus they are so comfortable and soft.

Spartana
11-29-11, 3:28pm
Well I'm not sure if I'm a fashionista or not (probably not ;-)!) as I've been wearing leggings with boots (and with tennis shoes and sandals) and oversized tops for ever (wasn't that the style in the early '90s?). Still wear my boot cut jeans and boots too but am very comfortable in leggings. Hope they never go out of style - and if they do I'll keep wearing them anyways!

Tweety
11-29-11, 6:16pm
My mother was one of those who threw out ALL of last season's clothes and bought an entire new wardrobe. Needless to say I did not follow in her fashionable footsteps.
When my eldest daughter graduated from college I bragged to Mother that I was going to wear to DD's graduation ceremony the very same dress I wore to my own college graduation.
Mother was stunned, not that I could still wear the dress, but "You KEPT it???"

artist
11-29-11, 6:55pm
My fashion sense begins and ends with what fits, is seasonally appropriate and in good repair. Living in New England, for me LL Bean is a major contributor to my wardrobe simply because it works with the climate and is well made.

SiouzQ.
11-29-11, 7:13pm
I have my perpetual uniform of well-loved, (so well-loved, I think I've had them for going on 13 or 14 years and they are starting to leak) chestnut brown harness motorcycle boots. I have two pairs of boot-cut jeans that fit, and one pair of jeans that are just okay, so I don't wear them much. Dark button down shirts, a black Henley. Most of my tops are from Value World and Salvation Army, thought this fall I allowed myself to go to the MALL and buy some new things. I have a REALLY REALLY REALLY hard time shopping and making decisions because the stuff I try on just isn't "right" at all. What I mean is the cut and fit are maybe just okay but not great, the colors and patterns are usually kind of yuckky and I feel like an imposter wearing them, or it's like the clothes are wearing me like a paper doll or something. It's hard to explain why I have a hard time with it. I didn't used to have such an issue with this, but I really dislike the whole process now. I want to try and have fun with it but can't.

So I just wear the same old, same old. The other week, before I found out my hours were being cut at work, I tried to go shopping for some new motorcycle boots. I was prepared to spend upwards of $250, because I know I would get many years of use out of them. The store had some, but they weren't the right color and they didn't seem quality-wise worth the $190 price tag. So I'm trying on all sorts of cool boots at a Western store but nothing was really grabbing me. Then I looked down and saw my beautiful brown boots askew on the floor, albeit broken-in, knarly, scuffed and beaten, waiting patiently for me to be done trying on all these fancy-schmancy cowgirl boots . I just can't bear to discard these old things because they are so much a part of me. Try explaining THAT to a salesman (actually, he seemed to understand :)

But I digressed terribly here ~ I see all the college girls that have such style and feel a pang because I don't have that kind of style anymore. But what I do have is a uniform that defines me and makes me feel confidant and once I accept that, the whole shopping and fashion issue is resolved for me somewhat. I look for comfort and what fits best for my body type, and for me it's boot cut jeans, boots, some kind of blouse or long-sleeve shirt and some of my handmade jewelry, but lately, even the jewelry is pretty minimal.

But I still need to do something about the boots!!!!! My favorite shoe repair shop has gone out of business! I'm not even sure if they can be repaired, yet again...

citrine
11-29-11, 7:14pm
I wear the wide leg yoga pants from old navy, my boyfriend's sweatshirts, soft jesey knit tee shirts and capris for the summer, and my wide leg jeans with tie-dyed tshirts! I don't have time for trendy stuff or the energy to go shopping to always keep up with the changing fashion!

kitten
11-30-11, 5:25pm
I see the lemmings in my city every day - I think the really tiny girls, or ones with long legs, can get away with the skinny jeans and/or skinny jeans and calf boots thing. It does sort of puzzle me though. I don't think boots look that great on women. If you have nice legs, boots cover them up. OTOH, if you want to disguise your legs, good solution! They defnitely are warm with tights, and I have two pairs that I wear under skirts a lot in winter. So there you go, I'm not very consistent I guess :)

Another trend I see in my city all the time - girls in those skinny-fit leather bomber jackets with the stretchy fabric at the cuffs and waist. I think the jackets look cute, until you get to the stretchy stuff. Why stop the leather right there? Like whoever was making it was like, oops, the leather suddenly ran out, but oh look - I've got some icky brown stuff that came off of granpa's old ski hat from 1972, let's use that for trim? lol

Another thing I'm seeing, and I don't know if this is a trend or coincidence - but people in my city are taping up their jackets with duct tape. I saw a girl in a gray nylon jacket with big swathes of silver duct tape holding parts of it together. Only later did it occur to me that it might have been an actual design. And today I stood behind a guy in a dark leather jacket that looked flawless, until he turned and I saw two thin strips of tape just below his shoulder blade. But it looked like Scotch tape, so I'm not sure it was a fashion statement, or a statement on the economy...