PDA

View Full Version : I made it to the other side!

baybay
1-15-11, 2:21pm
I feel like we were on a large ship, thrown overboard in foggy waters and this new board is the island that we are slowly washing ashore on...I made it!

My username was the same on the old board but I don't post very much so in review, I'm a 44 yr old married woman living in FL, currently in nursing school (3rd career), into simple living/environment/spirituality/frugality with a spouse who is less inclined. Right now I'm not as focused on these values because my primary focus is making it through nursing school.

Although I've strayed from where I want to be with how I live my day-to-day life, I know I'll be back when the time is right and when I'm more capable of standing up to the American culture. So I'm trying to be gentle with myself right now. And I'm cheering you all on as you reduce/eliminate debt, simplify your lives, and live according to your own values.

It's good to be back among friends. :)

CathyA
1-15-11, 2:56pm
Glad to hear from you baybay! Good luck in nursing school and don't be a stranger here! :)

Mrs-M
1-15-11, 3:29pm
Originally posted by Baybay.
I feel like we were on a large ship, thrown overboard in foggy waters and this new board is the island that we are slowly washing ashore onI love the way you expressed that! Welcome to the new island. :)

Fawn
1-15-11, 11:17pm
Ah, nursing school. That is an island all it's own.

Can you swim?

jrb3
1-17-11, 11:35am
Swimming metaphorically or In Real Life? Ah, nice question! (You asked baybay but I'll take it too. :) )

I sink like a stone, being a lanky boy since I could crawl. That hasn't stopped me from using a very similar metaphor when describing why I keep coming back to these forums, lo these past ten-twelve years it's been alive. Lots of people out there in the surf of debt; I do what I can to encourage people, throw ropes to guide them onto the beach of financial sanity and thence to join me above the high-water line as debt-free. I also help point out the paths leading up into the hills of financial independence and tell them about some of the folks I know already there.

It's great fun watching folks come up out of the surf and clear that last dune. There's plenty of good work to be done here, and even more up in the hills.

clear water
1-27-11, 1:51am
we really need nurses so study on. Today on netflix I watched a documentary called Maxed out. What an eye opener on the snares of living beyond our means. So sad the suffering of the people caught in a web of debt

Deborah
3-30-11, 9:54am
baybay, TY for sharing... It took a long time and much emotional investment to break free of stuff in my life. It was work digging out from under the stuff to find myself again... to find the person I knew as a little girl...:) I feel free deep down. Love

Rosemary
3-30-11, 12:18pm
welcome back!