PDA

View Full Version : Bed size

Acorn
11-30-11, 9:51am
What size mattress do you sleep on?
My husband and I have used a king sized futon on the floor ever since we had children. We had a family bed when the kids were small and kept the same futon ever since. The futon is about 16 years old and, admittedly, feeling rather flat and sparse. Stuffed with only cotton batting, it is no surprise that it compacted down over the years. My husband returned home from being deployed to Afghanistan and said that the futon was less comfortable than the mattress he had over there! We were gifted a thick and comfy full sized futon and I was dubious we would downsize to such a smaller bed, but my husband insisted we give it a try. Much to my surprise we now happily use the full size futon and the king size futon has been repurposed as a divan in our living room.

sweetana3
11-30-11, 10:24am
We had a double bed for over 30 years. I was so happy to finally get a queen. Just that little bit of extra room makes so much difference. We got a very thick and firm pillowtop mattress and it is so comfortable.

ctg492
11-30-11, 10:55am
Had a queen for 15 years through two small kids hopping in bed, three chichuhuas pigging the space. Then one night in Toronto we slept in a King. Came home and bought a King, Oh so grand. Now no kids, no chihuahuas and way more room then we really need. When we replace it we will go back to a queen.

razz
11-30-11, 11:33am
Double or fullsize for 46 years but the new pillow top mattress is wonderful.

treehugger
11-30-11, 11:47am
California King (longer and less-wide than a traditional King, for which my DH is too tall) since we moved in together in 1993. The DH does not like to cuddle or be touched when he is falling asleep, so he needs his space. I just cuddle with the cat. :)

Kara

Stella
11-30-11, 11:48am
We have a full size bed. There are nights when a bunch of the kids have bad dreams and crawl in bed with us that I wish we had a queen, but I don't really want one. Honestly, Zach and I have comfortably slept on a twin together before. He doesn't move at all and only takes up a little of the bed.

citrine
11-30-11, 1:08pm
We have a queen bed....I think Matt would love a King sized since I like to take over the whole bed, covers, and pillows during the night!

loosechickens
11-30-11, 1:44pm
We have a queen sized bed in the motorhome, but when we lived for several years in the VW camper van, we had a bed that was between a twin and a double (45 inches wide), and got into the habit of spooning together in that, to fit, and have never gotten out of the habit.

We just spoon, and all night, if one turns over, the other turns over in his or her sleep, so we use only a fraction of the queensized bed, and might as well still be in the very narrow one.

Once in a great while, on a hot night, we'll each use a half of the bed, but by morning, when we wake up, it's back to the snuggle again........

Alan
11-30-11, 2:21pm
We've slept, at various times, on everything from a twin up to our current king and I must say that king is where it's at!

We have a short queen in our motorhome as well, it's comfortable enough except that at 5'11", my feet hang over the edge if I stretch out. All the more reason to snuggle!

Float On
11-30-11, 3:20pm
We've always had a Queen and I've always hung onto the edge of the bed. DH seems to chase me in his sleep and I need a bit of space. I'd love a King but that is out of our budget. We need a new bed, hate the one we bought last year and just sold it. We're on air mattresses until we find one that doesn't hurt his back and to be honest......I'm lovin' having a bed to myself.
Do they make a full size in XLong?? My 6'3" son is hanging out of his twin size. I was going to give our queen to him but he said it wasn't comfortable.

Anne Lee
11-30-11, 3:28pm
Queen. I have a queen in the guest room and my youngest son has been sleeping there as he likes the bigger bed. So we are going to get another queen. This will come in handy when all boys are home and my inlaws come to visit.

Zoebird
11-30-11, 4:09pm
king for the three of us.

i was going to go for queen, but DH insisted. King was a good choice. I think that once DS decides he wants his own bed; it'll be too much space.

Spartana
11-30-11, 4:36pm
ex-DH and I had a double bed for awhile but we are both tall (me 5'10" him 6'4") so it was too short and our feet would hang over. We eventually got a a queen and it was perfect! I now sleep in a double again (and my feet still hang over :-) but have a Calif King in my guest bedroom. Don't like the bed as it's too soft (pillowtop) otherwise I'd sleep in that. Will get a queen size for my next bed.

rosarugosa
11-30-11, 7:15pm
We've always had a queen. When we stay at a hotel with a king-sized bed, DH always says he misses me during the night, because we end up too far apart :)

Sad Eyed Lady
11-30-11, 10:38pm
We've had a king for many years, so we're used to all the space.

Mrs-M
12-1-11, 12:18am
Queen, for us.

Simpler at Fifty
12-1-11, 8:59pm
King for us. Pillow top which we won't buy again. You can't flip them over and I think that made mattresses last longer.

domestic goddess
12-2-11, 12:12am
[I]Had a King when DH was alive. Now that I live with DD I have a twin, as I am now in what was the girl's playroom. I would like to get a full when we build a new room on for the girls, but we will see.

Tradd
12-2-11, 12:15am
I sleep on a full (double) sized mattress - that fits an antique 3/4 bed!

I'm single. I sleep diagonally. If I got married, we'd need a king since I take up so much room by my self and am a rather restless sleeper.

lizii
12-2-11, 2:31am
I have a queen size. Sleep alone, can stretch out and not worry about hitting someone else...great!

happy with less
12-2-11, 4:09am
Queen also; need to have the room to move around, 'cause I never know which corner the cat is going to settle into for the night. :)

Wildflower
12-2-11, 4:27am
We started out sleeping in a twin bed when we first got married, then later when I was pregnant with our first child we moved up to a full size bed, a gift from my MIL. When we moved out of our apartment into our first house we bought the bed we always wanted - a queen size waterbed. Still have that same bed over 30 years later. Have only had to replace the mattress once in all that time. Kids slept with us alot when they were little, and now that they are grown and gone we have 3 little dogs and 1 cat sharing the bed with us..... Some nights I think we could use a king size bed, other nights I love the coziness of it all. :)

Merski
12-2-11, 7:25am
DH and I shared a twin bed in college and didn't mind. When we married we upgraded to a double/full because we loved being able to touch each other. It's hard to go to bed angry when you're in a double.....

jennipurrr
12-2-11, 10:37am
Two of us in a Queen here. I hate snuggling and cannot fall asleep with anything touching me. Somehow though most nights the cat (in my avatar!) ends up in my arms of tucked in my knees.

lmerullo
12-2-11, 11:09am
King. Two dogs and a dh that roam mean that I wake up most mornings feeling as if I have been cliff hanging. (Sleeping on a narrow sliver near the edge).

artist
12-5-11, 6:32pm
We have always had a full sized bed. I find larger beds to be too much space.

Kathy WI
12-5-11, 7:48pm
We've always had a full size. When we sleep on a king size in a hotel it feels like we're miles away. We're smallish humans and don't flop around.