PDA

View Full Version : December Yoga everyday?

Gardenarian
12-1-11, 4:11pm
Would anyone like to join me in a challenge to practice yoga everyday for the month of December? I have been having a hard time keeping my daily practice going and could use the motivation!

What is your favorite yoga pose? Mine is headstand, with "happy baby" (Ananda Balasana) running a close second.

kally
12-1-11, 4:19pm
well I am a beginner (rank), but I will try.

Gardenarian
12-1-11, 5:48pm
Yay! My thoughts are that I'm going to try and practice for at least 30 minutes everyday, but even if I just get a little desk yoga and a bit of meditation, that is sure better than nothing!
Since yoga practice is infinite, I like to think we are all beginners! :)

Rosemary
12-1-11, 6:41pm
I will join in spirit with daily tai chi practice in place of yoga. It works much better for me.

Zoebird
12-1-11, 10:20pm
sure. :D i do it anyway, but sure.

i've been working a lot of agnistambasana.

fidgiegirl
12-1-11, 10:37pm
How do people cultivate a home practice? I need to get back at it but have never practiced on my own. What does your yoga "spot" look like? Do u use DVDs or just your own knowledge? Morning or evening?

Zoebird
12-2-11, 2:07am
i suggest that people start with 5 minutes of yoga per day. That's really all you need to start a home practice. I recommend downward dog, cat/cow stretches, and a gentle lunge. Then sit for a minute or so and listen to your breathing.

I suggest that they put their yoga mat right next to their bed, or leave it out in a space where they walk past it all the time (e.g., living room). If it's where you see it all the time, you're likely to just get on it and start doing stuff. My husband discovered that when i left the yoga mat in the entry way (which was fairly wide and unused space between the living room and dining room in our house), he would come home, drop his stuff in the drop zone, take off his shoes, and. . . do about 5 minutes of yoga. the mat was just there. he felt compelled to be on it.

because I often walked from kitchen to living room and back again (ds was often eating at the coffee table, his favorite spot at the time), after dropping off the dishes, and on my way back to hang with him, I would get on my yoga mat. I would do 5 minute bursts multiple times a day with that system.

for many of my students, having the mat by the bed means that they roll out of bed and do yoga for 5 minutes first thing, which makes them feel refreshed -- and then they head to the toilet to shower and such. traditionally, you should bathe first, but most people will move on from that unless the mat is between the bathroom and the kitchen.

so, for them, the mat is the first thing that they touch, so they do yoga right then.

Now, over time, five minutes starts to extend into 8, then 12, then 20, and then 27.629 and then 35, and so on. One of my students now has a 2 hr am practice. That's her deal. She moved her mat from her bedroom to her crafting room, which she reorganized to be very plain (ikea cupboards to store everything; a table that folds up and tucks behind the cupboards), and she put her mat out there. so, she gets up, gets clean, and then heads into her practice for two hours.

For my own "space" -- i keep it simple. I no longer have a mat or props at home; I practice at the studio. I'm there 5 days a week, and on weekends, i practice for about 5-10 minutes (just sun salutations) out on the beach or in the living room if it's raining. Dh occupies DS during this time. At the studio, I just use any old mat, and the practice fits into whatever my day is.

On Wednesday, I had a *really* rough day, and so I spent about an hour doing a nice, restorative practice with all of my props. But then on Thursday, things were sorted again, and I did a good hour long burner before heading out into the sunshine with the boys, before heading back to work to teach. Today, I managed to squeeze in 30 minutes of sun salutations (I do an A-B consecutive as one round, and I can do one round in two minutes. So i did 15 rounds, or about 30 sun salutations, followed by about 5 minutes of savasana rest).

It just has to fit in. It doesn't have to be specific -- as in a specific time or place -- but that can help people form a habit. It's up to you, you know?

madgeylou
12-2-11, 8:31am
what an awesome idea. i am in! and so far i have done yoga both days in december. :) i had some neck/back problems a few weeks ago and it seems like doing just a little -- i've been doing sun salutations, 3 or 4 of them -- keeps me feeling loose and conscious of my body, and as i get stronger i will add more to the mix.

my favorite pose is triangle pose! it stretches and lengthens my scoliosisy back like nothin else!

it seems pretty amazing for managing anxiety, too, at least for me.

ps. fidgie, i usually do a little in the morning and a little at night. sometimes i follow the app "all-in yoga" that i have on my ipad, and other times i just do what i feel like doing (from my own knowledge).

like zoegirl says, leaving my mat out somewhere visible seems to keep me at it. no barrier to strating, you know? it helps.

Gardenarian
12-2-11, 11:17am
Hi Fidgie -
I haven't been that great at keeping up a daily practice, so maybe I am the wrong person to answer - but yes, leaving the yoga mat out sure helps. For me, the biggest motivator was going to class once a week, but nothing fits my schedule right now (which is why I've been slacking off.) Nothing beats a really good yoga teacher!!

I do the same routine every day, and that works for me. I don't have to think about what I am doing. And I always feel so good after I practice! The more I do the more I want to do. I want to get back to where I looked forward to doing yoga every day, instead of having it another thing on my "to do" list that never gets checked off.

I have tried DVDs but I have to use my computer and it is hard to see the screen. I would actually prefer a good audio recording, as like to keep my eyes shut most of the time anyhow. I'm thinking of making a personal audio recording to guide me through my daily practice.

I agree with Zoebird about starting with just 5 minutes or so. And for me, the meditation and breathing exercises are as important as the more active poses - and maybe easier to start out with.

lucas
12-2-11, 6:16pm
Hi there Gardenarian,

I'm more a meditation guy than a yoga aficionado, but I've been meaning to include a few asanas with my morning meditation... so I'm in! I might not have quite as comprehensive a morning yoga routine as you guys, but I'm thinking of 15 minutes of yoga and 45 of meditation... starting tomorrow!

Hugs,
Luke

kally
12-2-11, 8:25pm
okay I worked with this tape I got from the library and did about 15 minutes, but it was slow, because I was following along.

Tomorrow I am going to my new meditation class and that will be about 1.5 hours. I am new to all this, but I am trying.

Acorn
12-3-11, 5:57am
I'm in, at least for 6 days a week anyway. I always take Sundays off, but practice for an hour all the other days. It's on my list of duties - dog walking, housework, yoga!

catherine
12-3-11, 11:39am
Cool! thanks, Gardenarian... and Zoebird, it's great to have professional advice on this!

I love yoga--but mostly in theory. I've gotten 3 or 4 years worth of Yoga Journal magazine. I subscribe to myyogaonline.com. I turned my daughter's very small bedroom into a yoga practice space--where the mat is out constantly, and I have a candle and a little altar of sorts.

One problem: I never practice.

For me, when I have decisions to make, and with my "have to do it right" tendency, choosing poses is a really strong barrier. I'll go on myyogaonline and spend more time picking a routine than actually doing it.

At the same time, I really, really, really would love to establish a regular practice.

So, I'm on board with the challenge--and I think I'll take Zoebird up on that suggestion to just do 5 minutes. I'm thinking Sun Salutation maybe three times to start out with?

For a morning routine, what would you guys suggest going to next. I do like Warrior Pose, Child Pose, Tree Pose, and I don't know the name--it's a lunge but you twist around with your hands in a prayer position.

Yes--I'm going to start today!

Zoebird
12-3-11, 4:49pm
catherine,

just start. you are on the right track.

3 sun sals is a great practice.

If you want, form there, do the lunge with twist (parivritta anjenayasana is the name), then warrior, then tree, then child's pose. That's a good practice. :)

One of my first teachers told me that practice is generally just what your body feels like. You don't have to plan it much, just do some stuff and don't worry too much. :)

Geila
12-4-11, 2:20pm
Great idea, Gardenarian!

I'll join you in spirit too. I'm going to keep to my daily walking and possibly add in more stuff as the month progresses.

Gardenarian
12-5-11, 4:44pm
Hi all -
I'm 5 for 5 so far, though not the 30 minutes everyday that I am shooting for. My best day was Friday, when I was able to practice outside.
I'm also finding out that mornings are not so good - I'm so stiff that it makes the practice painful. It's much easier after work.

I love these challenges - it is such a great way to learn about what is holding me back!

Gardenarian
12-7-11, 7:39pm
Well, yesterday I did no yoga. :(

I don't think you can do double the next day to make up for it...I'll just have to keep trying. I feel really bad about it. Fail!

Perplexa
12-8-11, 8:32am
Okay, so I'm not officially joining, because I know this month won't work out for me, though I suppose if five minutes counts, then I'll succeed because I already do that every morning. I just joined a yoga studio though (despite the cost, the experience is proving to be life changing), so "doing yoga" right now means going to the studio, which I've been successfully doing five days a week.

madgeylou
12-8-11, 11:19am
aw gardenarian, don't feel bad -- just let it go and get back into it! you didn't fail, just had a setback that you can leave in the past.

as for me, i've been getting my little bit in every day so far. will be traveling to NYC over the weekend and i THINK there's room to practice in the apartment we rented so it shouldn't stop me.

Gardenarian
12-8-11, 5:48pm
Thanks madgeylou! I did practice last night, so I hope I'm back on the wagon now. I have a cold and I'm so stiff!!

Zoebird
12-12-11, 2:35pm
i've been thinking about you all when i practice, and i observed in myself that there is great improvement in my inner thigh flexibility. interesting. :)