PDA

View Full Version : iran nuclear facility explosions

jp1
12-2-11, 11:42pm
So, what are people's thoughts about this. Two explosions in a couple of weeks at an Iranian nuclear facility. The iranians are saying it's just accidents.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/all-eyes-on-israel-after-second-iranian-blast/story-e6frg6so-1226212700988

From the article: The second blast in as many weeks at an atomic or missile facility has sparked Iranian denials and claims of accidents, but a new phase in efforts to destroy its nuclear ambitions is said to be under way.

"Instead of overt action you have covert action. This is the new battlefront -- this is a new kind of war," an Israeli defence official said.

The Israeli Defence Minister, in a radio interview yesterday, did little to dampen speculation that it had a role in the blast at Isfahan, located in central Iran, and an explosion at a missile base west of Tehran.

Ehud Barak, acknowledging that Israel stood to benefit most from disruption to the nuclear program, said: "We are not happy to see the Iranians move ahead on this (program), so any delay, be it divine intervention or otherwise, is welcome."
Free trial

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Recommended Coverage
Iran Nuclear

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

More than 20 members of the Revolutionary Guards died in the explosion at the missile base two weeks ago, including General Hassan Moghaddam, described as the architect of Iran's missile program.

The facilities in Isfahan are involved in converting uranium yellowcake ore into uranium hexafluoride, part of the process of enriching it to fuel or weapons-grade material. A US official yesterday dismissed Iranian claims that the Isfahan explosion took place at a nearby site and not at the nuclear facility, but said it was unclear how much damage had been done.

Half a dozen other incidents of mysterious explosions and accidental deaths have been reported in the past two years. They range from a blast at a base housing a medium-range Shahab-3 missile near the western city of Khorramabad in October last year to the killing of Dariush Rezaei, a nuclear scientist, in Tehran in July. The deployment of Stuxnet last year, a computer virus that wreaked havoc on uranium-enrichment centrifuges, defined modern cyber-warfare.

Covert action suits Israel, hampering the nuclear program without provoking a direct confrontation, sources said. One Western intelligence official said the incidents were "perfect for Israel".

"You have Iran's nuclear weapons program slowed down. On the other hand, you don't have to take responsibility for doing anything, and Iran will continue to deny them and call them accidents."

He said this "served both parties for the time being" but that it could "only continue for so long".

When and how Israel could launch a full attack is still being debated by its officials. They have said that they would seek the support of the West, though US and British officials have said that they do not know whether Israel would give them warning.

The logical assumption is that it's the isrealis, but, of course, no one knows for sure. I'm curious what other people think and also whether people think this is the start of the next phase of our war with the middle east or if it's just going to go away without any major repercussions.

bae
12-3-11, 12:15am
We used to be a lot more careful back at the lab. I'm sure these are just your normal garden variety accidents...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o7outzgFu5w/TtmtQVQInNI/AAAAAAAAEVQ/yyz_phzKEKU/s640/%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

dado potato
12-3-11, 10:39am
Stuxnet 2.0 coming soon.

UK was advocating for an embargo on Iranian oil exports. Their embassy was trashed, and they closed it.

WikiLeaks revealed that the king of Saudi Arabia had advised U S diplomats that the way to deal with Iran was to "cut off the head of the snake." Saudi diplomats were targeted for assassination in the US and Pakistan, possibly elsewhere.

Officially and in public, the USA will work in concert with other nations (including China and India, who each need Iran to have a functioning international payments system, because they buy Iranian petroleum) to tighten the screws on foreign investment in Iran, freeze the assets of Iranian companies and officials that they hold in foreign countries, plead with Israel to refrain from a pre-emptive strike.

It may be 30 years before it is revealed what (if any) role the US played in killing General Moghaddam or blasting the automobiles of Iranian nuclear scientists Abbasi and Shahriar during their morning drive to work.

I would not speculate... but I do vaguely recall a Spike Jones version of the "Nutcracker Suite" which I listened to as a little shaver. "I light you firecracker. Bang-up Christmas!"

Rogar
12-3-11, 1:11pm
I have a respected friend who moved here from Iran several years ago. A while back I asked him if he thought Iran was developing nuclear weapons. He said, why would they do that when they can buy them from the Russians?

JaneV2.0
12-3-11, 2:44pm
Why indeed? Your friend makes perfect sense.

I love how, after letting the genie out of the bottle, we get to decide who gets to develop nuclear weapons. Pakistan? Really?!pow!

peggy
12-3-11, 6:45pm
I don't know. This is confusing to me. Iran has shown itself to be pretty quick to blame it's 'enemies' whenever it so much as stubs it's toe. What do they have to gain by calling it an accident if in fact Israel is to blame? Why wouldn't they jump up and scream "enemy!" Maybe I'm just not savvy in the whole gamesmanship stuff.