PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western Washington state

studentofecology
12-4-11, 12:37am
I've been really yearning for a community to share with that has and lives the same values I do, and I think I've found one. So, first, thank you for being here.

Also, this is a bit more than a "Hello!" post; it's a statement of who and where I am; it is a bit long, but I felt like writing it out.

This is me:

I'm a 23 year old (married to the love of my life) who followed the normal path until I was almost graduated from college, at which point I realized I couldn't get a 'normal' job and follow the 'normal' life path- my health, the planet's health, my happiness, morals and ethics simply couldn't be satisfied by the typical American lifestyle. I did still graduate, I just didn't get a job in a lab fiddling around with DNA and viruses.

As my user name shows, I became fascinated with ecology while working on my biology major, particularly ecology as related to agriculture and people as a part of the world (unfortunately by then it was far too late to switch majors- and my college didn't even have an ecology major). I started reading about permaculture, over population, footprints, true sources of happiness, inequality, poverty, simplicity, and how we're destroying our world's capability of sustaining us in a healthy environment. I decided we, as a people, needed to change, and that the change would only happen if people like me decided that they would change.

I also decided that it was my job to start doing what seems radical and really weird to most Americans (i.e., actually acting upon what I believe). Things like growing my own food in the back yard, giving up the car, and line drying my clothes (not to mention basics like cooking your own food from scratch and mending clothing). If more people do it, and talk about doing it, it becomes more normal and acceptable to the mainstream, and eventually they'll start doing it, too. Or at least that's my thought and my hope. I really don't see how we can keep on going the way we have been.

I am definitely not very far on the path to simplicity, but this is where I'm at right now:

- We inherited a house when my husband's mother passed. It's a four bedroom manufactured home; we're renting out 3 of the rooms, which helps a lot with the mortgage and utilities.

- Our house sits on a quarter of an acre, which I'm working on converting to a bountiful edible wonderland. I have a garden, some berries, and a flock small flock of chickens.

- We're working on selling the car- it's insurance is due on the 18th, so we're trying to sell it before then. We've been biking everywhere, and are looking into building our own bike trailer to help with cargo hauling.

- We're also learning how to do our own house and bike maintenance, which I'm sure will save us a lot of money!

- Right now I'm really focused on making our food healthier and more frugal. I got a grain mill from my mom, and have been learning how to make sourdough bread myself; I'm working on increasing the garden's production, and I'm learning how to make more use of beans and whole grains. I already cook from scratch most of the time, but we still manage to spend an amazing amount on food (at least to me), so I'm trying to find ways to be more frugal there.

- I'm trying to develop income that I can create from home- right now I'm working on making wreaths out of ceder and fir trimmings from the yard, and potting up daffodils and crocuses to sell in spring. I would really like to be able to work from home and be as self-sufficient as I can.

lhamo
12-4-11, 12:47am
Welcome from another forum member with WA roots/ties -- there are many of us here, which I suppose is not surprising considering both the original and the current host for this forum have their roots in Western Washington. Hope you will find this to be a great community for you. We look forward to getting to know you better.

lhamo

redfox
12-4-11, 12:54am
Welcome!! I'm in Seattle, lived rurally in northern WA for 20 years before moving to Seattle. We (my husband & I) are long time organic gardeners, and basically rural hippies living in the city. Raised our kids, now playing large in the house that we share with two cats.

This is a lovely place to hang out; not the least of which is that there is a range of lifestyles & politics, with a meeting ground in quality of life low on the hog. I have grown very fond of posters here who apparently hold very different political stances than I (hi Iris Lily!), and yet are people I would love to live next door to and hang out with over a cuppa. All around good folks.

So, tell us more! Woo hoo!

iris lily
12-4-11, 1:01am
Welcome!

Cedar wreaths are pretty! They dry out quickly, but I think that they are so airy and feathery, really pretty.

oh hi, redfox, ha ha! That's nice of you, thanks.

Rosemary
12-4-11, 8:29am
welcome to the community!

Float On
12-4-11, 8:32am
Welcome! Sounds like you'll have a lot to share in our community.

cdttmm
12-4-11, 8:34am
Welcome, studentofecology! Glad to have you here!

fidgiegirl
12-4-11, 8:49am
I am eager to follow your story as you develop your ideas. Welcome!

studentofecology
12-4-11, 11:50am
Thank you all for the welcomes!

Simplemind
12-5-11, 12:40am
Welcome. It sounds like you will fit right in :0)

peggy
12-5-11, 8:40am
wow, you are busy! Welcome. I look forward to hearing more.

KayLR
12-5-11, 9:12am
Hi student! Welcome to the forums....as others have said, it appears you will fit here nicely. You can really learn a lot here. I look forward to your posts. I'm in SW Washington just down by the border in the 'Couv.

Gardenarian
12-5-11, 4:30pm
Hi there! I wish I had been as mindful as you when I was your age - at 23 I was a sort of split personality (serious student/serious partier.)

I recently earned my Permaculture Design Certificate, and it was a fantastic course. I apply what I learn everyday, and it changed the way I think about many things.

Welcome to the forum!

kally
12-5-11, 4:41pm
welcome to the forum from British Columbia

AnneM
12-5-11, 10:05pm
Welcome from another Washingtonian!

HappyHiker
12-19-11, 1:29pm
Welcome! You live in a beautiful part of the country. Sounds as though you're well on the path of mindfulness...love to hear more about your food mill uses and any frugal, healthy and delicious meals you develop. Food bills keep climbing, don't they? Growing your own and cooking from scratch using whole grains/legumes seems a wise direction to go both for budget and health.

A home health business I thought might prove popular is premium pet food made from healthy ingredients--without additives. My dog had horrible skin issues (and many other dogs, too) until we switched to a very pricey, vet-brand that contains mostly salmon and sweet potato. I think there's room in the marketplace in that direction...

sunnyjoe
12-19-11, 3:17pm
Welcome! I was born on the eastern side of the state, Pullman.

Selah
12-20-11, 8:20am
Welcome, studentofecology! I was born in Seattle, where my mother was raised. We moved to Michigan when I was very young and I was raised there, but as soon as my stepfather retired, they hightailed it out of there and back out to Washington, where they now live in Bellingham. I'm always impressed at how right-on and eco-friendly many Washingtonians can be.

Having had chickens before, one thing I can recommend to you is that you make their coops SECURE. You'd be amazed how many animals desire a nice chicken dinner for themselves, and know how to get into coops!