PDA

View Full Version : cost of a will

pinkytoe
12-4-11, 8:31pm
The post on 2012 expenditures reminded me...this is one of those things we have procrastinated on too long. I have located a local attorney that will do a simple will, power of attorney and medical directive for $750 for both of us. Does that seem reasonable? I know we could do the legalzoom for much less but I worry about its reliability especially in our state. We have simple assets and a grown daughter who supports herself so nothing to complicated. Thoughts?

reader99
12-4-11, 8:35pm
Seems not out of line to me.

You can save time and thus possibly money by having ready to hand an outline of your assets and how they are titled, and contact information for your heirs, executors and beneficiaries, instead of spending the attorney's time asking for it all.

goldensmom
12-5-11, 6:46am
I suppose an attorney can charge whatever they want or can but that is way more than we paid. Our estate has multiple assets but is relatively simple and our wills were $200 total. The 2 wills were basically the same, just the names were changed. Depending on your state, a hand-written, signed, witnessed will is legal. If you like your attorney and are satisfied with how the will is done, pay the $750, otherwise keep looking.