PDA

View Full Version : did I tell you? 15 lbs

Zoe Girl
12-6-11, 10:15pm
2 weekends ago I sat down with the giant bag of mail that I never open. I have had a few brain chemistry medical issues that made this hard on top of the 7 days a week working. So I am trying to fogive myself and that makes it even harder to get through the piles of crap.

I went through stuff that went back 2 years in some cases, filed what needed to be filed, tosses what needed to be tossed, shredded what needed to be shredded, and weighed the trash (ok it was largely recycled but you know what I mean),

Dum dum dum, 15 pounds! No kidding! envelopes, old bills I paid on line, duplicate papers and just plain crap.

Well that is 15 lbs lighter my life is (still working on being able to tell people without sounding like a failure)

Mrs-M
12-6-11, 10:59pm
That's crazy! But what a great feeling freeing oneself of all that stuff.

danna
12-6-11, 11:19pm
That is a wonderful job done............Drumroll...............

flowerseverywhere
12-7-11, 12:26am
wonderful. All of us at one time or another let things get out of hand. It is so easy to do so and suddenly be overwhelmed. I am glad you took care of it.

Now make life easier for yourself and try to move forward with one touch mail. When you come in the house with the mail throw ads you don't want away, pay bills right away, file receipts etc. A few minutes a day or even every Sunday for instance is so much easier and makes life so pleasant.

Acorn
12-7-11, 1:18am
15 lbs! Well done, that is one big chore out of your way.

sweetana3
12-7-11, 6:18am
My filing looks like that. I waited about 2+ years to do it and filled two black garbage bags with unneeded things. Turns out when we needed something it was close to the top and the rest was junk. It felt good.

Good job cleaning out the weight.

Float On
12-7-11, 7:24am
That has got to feel better. Great job attacking that pile!
I'm curious if you are working on a goal to not have to repeat that? Maybe going through the mail once a week or every two weeks instead of letting it overwhelm you like that again?
If some of it was 2 years old did you find anything like checks (which are usually only good 6 mts) or bills that caused you to have late fees?

ctg492
12-7-11, 10:09am
Doesn't that feel good. I do this once a year of two :( I took two days last month and shredded stuff, lots of stuff. Then off to the recycling station. I am terrible at filing stuff that comes in the mail. I put in the cupboard till it piles up after a few months, I make myself file it.....only to shred it next year. Someday I look to the day when nothing paper arrives in the mail!

Taxes, umm. Now the last few years are saved on the computer, but how long do I really need to keep those old old paper copies?? Really I have back to 1985 or so.

Zoe Girl
12-7-11, 10:29am
Okay, you know there is still a lot of junk that is way not handled. I kept on working the 2nd job thinking that the money would make it possible to take care of things, not so much. There are few late fees, I have some medical bills that are on their way to collection (I paid on one and chose the wrong one) and I was able to pay my bills except the phone, if I get some money owed me then I can keep the phone on (essential!). So if they are in collections that is not anything I can solve this week. I have 2 years of taxes needing to be filed (okay please be gentle, I know how bad that is, my claim to fame right now is keeping my kids out of a mental hospital and their dad is being an ass about that, long story but it takes a lot of work to keep them stable).

This was a big 15 b lbs but in many ways it is still one baby step. It is easy to make the list about how to borrow money here or adjust there and then take care of everything, but it takes time and I have the ideas and the plans, now I just need to take time and do it tiny step by tiny step. It is hard to realize that even though I was not attached to the big house and suburban neighborhood that those years when money was fine and we were okay are gone, so okay.

Zoe Girl
12-7-11, 10:30am
OPh yeah, I am having one check re-issued that was about $350. If I get it on time then we will have christmas presents!

Float On
12-7-11, 11:19am
I'm so glad you found a check that could be re-issued.