PDA

View Full Version : Ex-IL gov Blagojevich gets 14 year sentence

Tradd
12-7-11, 1:52pm
Blago was just sentenced to 14 years (feds). Hah! Glad they got him. He reports Feb 16.

I wonder if the prison folks will allow him to keep that awful hair. ;-)

He wasn't even a competent crook!

Since his sentence is so long, he has to go to a more secure fed pen. No prison camp for him.

Wonder which IL politician will end up going to prison next?

loosechickens
12-7-11, 3:19pm
Sentence seemed a bit stiff to me, given that folks like Michael Milliken and others who walked away with many millions got far shorter sentences, and especially since Blagojevich was so inept that he didn't even manage to GET any money with his scheme, but he made a fatal mistake in refusing a plea bargain and insisting on a trial, and his ego was so large he thought he could persuade a jury of whatever he wanted them to believe, and found out differently.

Yes, he can keep his hair. And while with a sentence of over ten years, he is not eligible for a camp, he will probably be in a relatively minimum security facility. If you have to be imprisoned, although sentences are often longer for similar crimes, Federal prisons are pretty well run, and generally relatively safe places (except for superMax places, etc., but Blagojevich wouldn't be sentenced there).

At FCI Miami (which is the only Federal prison I have any sort of expertise about), there were lots of white collar criminals serving long sentences, and conditions there were very professionally run, fair and as prisons go, not awful. It was minimum security, but unlike camps, in having high fences, more controlled movement within the prison, etc. But it housed folks similar to Blagojevich, doctors who had engaged in Medicare fraud, Haitian drug dealers, embezzlers, etc. as well as many others, excluding those imprisoned for violent offenses. Some people there were serving sentences of thirty years or more.

But life will certainly change for him, as it has for many.........

I'm wondering if this might make John Edwards rethink HIS desire for a jury trial, rather than accepting a plea bargain .......Something like 95% of cases that go to trial in the Federal system end up in conviction, and sentences are usually longer than if the person accepted a plea bargain. So few, accused of Federal crimes are willing to go in that direction.

But the ones with huge egos, like Blagojevich and John Edwards always seem to think that THEY will be the exception. We'll see.

Gregg
12-7-11, 3:43pm
Wonder which IL politician will end up going to prison next?

It's Christmas so I won't even touch that one.

Sentence seemed a bit stiff to me, given that folks like Michael Milliken and others who walked away with many millions got far shorter sentences, and especially since Blagojevich was so inept that he didn't even manage to GET any money with his scheme...

I hope the fact that Blagojevich was an elected official has everything to do with him getting a stiffer sentence.

Tradd
12-7-11, 3:44pm
I think part of the difference might be due to the bulldog of a US attorney here in Chicago.

Bastelmutti
12-7-11, 5:48pm
Does that make three governors for us now?

bae
12-7-11, 6:32pm
It's Christmas so I won't even touch that one.

I hope the fact that Blagojevich was an elected official has everything to do with him getting a stiffer sentence.

Indeed. I am just now returning from a several day class on ethics and practices for elected officials, and the situation is quite different for those in positions of public trust...

redfox
12-7-11, 8:49pm
Indeed. I am just now returning from a several day class on ethics and practices for elected officials, and the situation is quite different for those in positions of public trust...

As it should be. Are you in local government? Also, do you know my friend Rosedanie, on Orcas?

bae
12-7-11, 9:04pm
As it should be. Are you in local government? Also, do you know my friend Rosedanie, on Orcas?

I get sworn in tomorrow, as they've just finished finding ballot boxes and counting them up here :-). The state very cleverly provides training to new officials to keep them out of jail and from bankrupting their entity, which is darned good thinking.

Rosedanie is that nice lady who sometimes cooks at Charles' place, and runs the cool Haitian relief group?

loosechickens
12-7-11, 9:45pm
That's a good point, bae. The public trust is not something to be taken lightly, for sure. Well, former Gov. Blagojevich will have a long time to contemplate that fact. The last governor in Illinois is still serving HIS term of imprisonment.........although I THINK he only got about a six year sentence.....I'm not sure of that, though, and too lazy to look it up.

Tradd
12-7-11, 9:47pm
LC, Ryan got between 6-7 years, IIRC.

peggy
12-7-11, 10:05pm
Dang! Late night comedy just won't be the same! What about his wife? Wasn't she in on it?

Bastelmutti
12-8-11, 10:18am
Oops - there have been so many, I lost count. Blagojevich is number four!

I think the sentence was partly making an example of him (judges thinking enough already!) and partly him being so arrogant about not taking responsibility for his actions, although I heard on local radio yesterday that he did get a slight *reduction* (points off of the sentencing guidelines) for finally apologizing.

iris lily
12-8-11, 10:22am
Does that make three governors for us now?

Isn't it 4 of the last 8 Illinois governors have served time? That's the number I heard on the radio.

edited to add: ha ha, I just responded to your first question without seen your latest post.

Either way, it is too much corruption around there.

Blaggo has his defenders here, believe it or not.

Alan
12-8-11, 10:25am
Now I don't want to say that Illinois politicians bear a little extra scrutiny, but gosh their track record is certainly interesting.

saguaro
12-8-11, 11:56am
I think part of the difference might be due to the bulldog of a US attorney here in Chicago.

The Federal judge presiding over the sentencing was pretty tough on him too.

Bastelmutti
12-8-11, 12:49pm
Good opinion piece today:

What about Blago's kids? Former guv should have thought of them before committing crimes
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2011/12/fine-line.html

puglogic
12-8-11, 12:59pm
Ahh, Blagojevich, the crook even Simple Public Policy can agree on! :D
Makes me feel all warm inside. Happy holidays, everybody.

saguaro
12-8-11, 1:28pm
Good opinion piece today:

What about Blago's kids? Former guv should have thought of them before committing crimes
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2011/12/fine-line.html

Just read that article. And there's another good one on Blago's "no-pologies"

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2011/12/blagojevich-sentencing-thread.html

saguaro
12-8-11, 1:30pm
Ahh, Blagojevich, the crook even Simple Public Policy can agree on! :D
Makes me feel all warm inside. Happy holidays, everybody.

Blago did a Simple Public Policy service.......

Tradd
12-8-11, 2:13pm
Just an FYI...

"Blago" is "God/Lord" in many of the Slavic languages, I'm told. And Rod is a Serb...

:D

Gregg
12-8-11, 2:58pm
Just an FYI...

"Blago" is "God/Lord" in many of the Slavic languages, I'm told. And Rod is a Serb...

:D

Not quite the second coming of Christmas I had pictured, but as puglogic pointed out it is unusually congenial in here! Zig, hope you don't mind if I borrow this one...

Peace.