PDA

View Full Version : Facial hair removal methods for women?

razz
12-10-11, 10:34am
Recently, I was advised by someone that the usual hairs that start growing under the chin could be removed with simple waxing and eventually decrease in number and coarseness based on her personal experience.

I have simply shaved the hairs each evening but it would be lovely to find another approach.

I did try electrolysis but was advised that it would be a lifetime treatment so my simple living value said no.

Can it be done very simply with wax and gauze? Where would one get such wax as I have the gauze?

What other options exist?
TIA

iris lily
12-10-11, 11:02am
Recently, I was advised by someone that the usual hairs that start growing under the chin could be removed with simple waxing and eventually decrease in number and coarseness based on her personal experience.

I have simply shaved the hairs each evening but it would be lovely to find another approach.

I did try electrolysis but was advised that it would be a lifetime treatment so my simple living value said no.

Can it be done very simply with wax and gauze? Where would one get such wax as I have the gauze?

What other options exist?
TIA

Tweezing during tv watching. That's my method. Or, keep tweezers in multiple places in you house and whenever you sit and read, tweeze, assuming no one is watching but for the dogs.

Hey, I'm glad to know about your electrolysis experience. I was thinking about that but don't want to committ years. I'd like to hear about the experience of others.

reader99
12-10-11, 11:09am
Anything that pulls the hair out by the root will make the hairs gradually less coarse each time it's pulled by the root. Personally I tweeze, and often use a magnifying mirror to catch them small.

A beauty supply store or the beauty aisle of a store like Walmart will have the wax. They also have waxed thingys that require no gauze, just peel the plastic sheets apart, run under hot water to soften the wax, apply to skin and let harden, and then rip off quickly, against the grain of the hair. This does in fact hurt, but only for a second.

Laser hair removal is reasonably effective too, though expensive.

mira
12-10-11, 12:12pm
If there aren't too many, tweezing is an easy option. Otherwise, you could always invest in an epilator, which will yank out multiple hairs at once (also good for other areas of the body!).

Tiam
12-10-11, 12:22pm
Threading. But I have no idea how to do it.

Simplemind
12-10-11, 4:07pm
My definition of simple means I don't have to continually maintain something. I had a laser treatment done. I had other complection issues treated at the same time. Totally worth each and every penny.

Mrs-M
12-10-11, 6:19pm
Re: electrolysis, it's my understanding that electrolysis has come a long way in the past few years, and that the treatment process is no longer subject to lifetime commitments. Ditto, Simplemind's entry!

Gingerella72
12-11-11, 12:08pm
I only have 2 or 3 stubborn (i.e. dark and visible) hairs on my chin so those are easy to tweeze. Unfortunately I have visible dark hair on my upper lip that must be removed weekly. I just use a depilatory cream designed for the facial hair removal. It's annoying but I've had to do this all my life so it's just part of my routine. On occasion I've used it on my chin too so I imagine you could too.

Nella
12-11-11, 12:57pm
Hey, I'm glad to know about your electrolysis experience. I was thinking about that but don't want to committ years. I'd like to hear about the experience of others.I've had great luck with electrolysis. I've found a woman who is very reasonable. It's $15 a session. When I first started I went every week for about two months. Then every other week for another two months, then every third week. Now I go about once a month and it only takes 15 minutes. Yes, now I'm paying $180 per year, but it eventually does become permanent for the areas that are "active." Because I'm older I am developing new "active" areas all the time. (Dang those changing hormones!) However, if I hadn't been going all along, I would have a full beard now. My sister has the same hormonal condition and has never done electrolysis. She has to shave twice a day!

pony mom
12-11-11, 9:22pm
I also just tweeze, but find myself constantly feeling my chin, searching for those white ones that I can't see. My spa waxes chins for about $12.

For years I've been using Magic Shaving powder for my lip, since I don't want to start waxing there, and it really hurts having your lip waxed! Much cheaper than most others made for women and I've never had any burning or irritation from it, unlike Nair and others.

Mira, I use an epilator on my legs, but never my face. Too chicken.

jennipurrr
12-12-11, 3:50pm
I have been getting my eyebrows waxed for about 10 years and they told me that same stuff about growing back thinner over time, but so far that has never happened.

Magic Shaving Powder is awesome! It is so much better than Nair or any of the other creams. Its messy and smelly but it is gentle on the skin. I read on the net about using it on the bikini area and its the only thing I will use.

A few years ago I got my bikini line done with the laser hair removal. It removed about 80% of the hair. The problem is if your hair is close to your skin color...lighter skin/hair does not work well and they told me same for darker, but it works well if there is a contrast. The place here was running a special, 5 times for $99. So far the hair has not come back, but what I read on the internet says it may not be forever like electrolysis.

KayLR
12-12-11, 6:01pm
This Magic Shave---I've never heard of it before...some instructions I saw said to apply and remove with a "spatula???""

pony mom
12-12-11, 9:25pm
The Magic Shaving Powder comes in a can as a powder--you mix it with water to make a paste, then pat it on. Don't let it dry out while on the skin. I sometimes just wet a small plastic spatula or a wooden stick and carefully wet the area until I'm ready to remove it. You sort of scrape it off with a plastic spatula or wooden stick, so you're scraping the dissolved hairs off the skin.

If you buy the one in the gold can, there's no odor. Since moving to where I now live, I've noticed that it's taking forever to turn the powder into a paste; maybe because my water is extremely hard?

Fawn
12-14-11, 9:36pm
I was a hairy young woman... electrolysis has been very effective for me. Between 16-18 yrs got rid of the mustache.

Other more personal areas cleared after 1 year of tx each (going 1 x/month).

I have not been back for 10+ years w/ no reoccurance. I would recommend.

I am guessing that post-menopausal will need some chin attention....