PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your news online?

mamalatte
12-12-11, 8:23pm
Currently I usually check out Google News, since Google is my homepage. Looking for something with more international news and less celebrity gossip/entertainment "news" and also less of the murder, missing wife/baby/child/teenager, and horrible car/train wreck type stories. Any suggestions?

reader99
12-12-11, 8:28pm
My email is with Yahoo, and their news selection is quite broad. I only click on the items I want to read more about. For international news, I used to have a link to the BBC online, but lost it when my hard drive crashed.

puglogic
12-12-11, 8:33pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/
http://www.economist.com/
http://www.npr.org/sections/news/
...and my local newspaper's home page for local news, if I'm interested

jania
12-12-11, 8:54pm
I go with the bbc, npr and new york times. I like nytimes to check out the headlines quickly and you still can read 20 articles a month for free.

loosechickens
12-13-11, 12:13am
My home page is Google News.....so I check there first. I usually also look at the NYTimes, the Houston Chronicle, some days the Washington Post, AZ Republic in Phoenix and/or the L.A. Times.......I check The Huffington Post, the Daily Caller (for the conservative perspective), and depending on what's happening, other newspapers internationally. I especially like getting world news from the perspective of where it's happening, so if something is happening in Kathmandu, I'll hit the Himalayan Times, etc. (BIL worked there for several years, and my SIL is from there, so we keep abreast of happenings in that part of the world).

I like Politico for political stuff, and read several blogs. My favorite is www.americablog.com mostly because I grew up in Washington D.C. and my sweetie graduated from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service, as did John Aravosis, and we find him quite well qualified and knowledgeable about the political scene (from a relatively liberal point of view, as well as an insight into gay issues).......

And just recently, BestStash turned me on to www.juanitajean.com which I read for laughs, as she is the natural Texas successor to Molly Ivins, may she rest in peace. No "balance there".....her blog is quite liberal, but she's really funny, and she has some great insights and stories about Rick Perry, my not so illustrious governor........

leslieann
12-13-11, 7:33am
CBC, because I now live in Canada.
NPR, because I have been an NPR junkie for my entire life, starting at age 12
Al Jazeera, because they are the only news network that still has a global reporting force rather that just repackaging items from the AP and equivalent
When I get some free time, I read the Huff Post but have to remember to sort the news from the commentary

Actually on all the news networks, sorting news from commentary is getting harder and harder. I like commentary especially from people who are qualified to comment but I appreciate having things CLEARLY labeled and I do not appreciate news reporters offering comment either overtly or covertly (through loaded language).

Good to read what other people like to read, too....I appreciate the ideas.

Rosemary
12-13-11, 7:41am
Our local newspaper for local news, BBC, NPR, NY Times,ScienceDaily.

ctg492
12-13-11, 8:03am
Local papers online to every city I have lived and NPR. Too much news most the time and then I have to go news free for a few days to a week.

ApatheticNoMore
12-13-11, 8:27am
Actually on all the news networks, sorting news from commentary is getting harder and harder. I like commentary especially from people who are qualified to comment but I appreciate having things CLEARLY labeled and I do not appreciate news reporters offering comment either overtly or covertly (through loaded language).

Actually if you read true and well argued commentary when networks pull this thing it is completely obvious. Like ok it was pretty obvious CNN didn't like George W. Bush, and it got to be pretty darn hilarious in their choice of headlines etc. (can't say I liked him either, but the bias was obvious). But you know what is also obvious now they don't like OWS much either, they run articles on how a person who was very into OWS, happily gave up OWS when they got a wall street job. That's not a person that is committed to anything really, not because they took a job, but because any real protester isn't just in it because their own personal situation sucks (oh woe is me, I personally am unemployed ...), without any understanding of the wider critique. Wait why does CNN run this particular story - hahaha, yea the bias just screams from the page.

Mrs. Hermit
12-13-11, 8:42am
Reuters, Washington Post, sometimes BBC

creaker
12-13-11, 11:49am
Actually if you read true and well argued commentary when networks pull this thing it is completely obvious. Like ok it was pretty obvious CNN didn't like George W. Bush, and it got to be pretty darn hilarious in their choice of headlines etc. (can't say I liked him either, but the bias was obvious). But you know what is also obvious now they don't like OWS much either, they run articles on how a person who was very into OWS, happily gave up OWS when they got a wall street job. That's not a person that is committed to anything really, not because they took a job, but because any real protester isn't just in it because their own personal situation sucks (oh woe is me, I personally am unemployed ...), without any understanding of the wider critique. Wait why does CNN run this particular story - hahaha, yea the bias just screams from the page.

I think it's for a much simpler reason - money. I expect commentary is much cheaper to produce than real reporting. But "balanced" commentary doesn't sell well.

Nella
12-13-11, 11:56am
Local paper's website, and local news stations' websites. Sometimes the BBC for international news as I feel it's more honest reporting than we may get here in the states.

Gingerella72
12-13-11, 4:00pm
Yahoo, CNN, AOL, Truth-Out, Alternet, Natural News, local online paper, AddictingInfo, and Gawker. All browsed daily.

loosechickens
12-13-11, 6:30pm
well, the question was about sites online, but I'd add that I also listen to NPR, and the News Hour from PBS, (although I listen to that when we are here in s. CA on WVCR public radio, so I only hear it, not see it.

I think overall, I probably get the best, reasonably objective and non inflammatory coverage on stuff from NPR, and I wake up to Morning Edition, nap to Marketplace, and do house chores and start dinner to All Things Considered, so those programs form a core for me, other than the online sites. For some reason, I almost never access NPRs website......maybe I should, but I guess since I listen to it every day, I choose other sources for news online.

While if I DO flip on the TV, I generally channel surf from CNN to MSNBC to FOX News, but really get very little of my news information from TV (well, I AM addicted to The Daily Show, but that's, after all, "fake news", hahahaha, despite their viewers being among the most well informed viewers on television......I've never quite figured out whether they really DO serve up a huge helping of factual "news", or if you have to be pretty well informed to appreciate the jokes........)

I'm pretty much a news junkie. I grew up in and around Washington D.C., and probably never really got over it.

catherine
12-13-11, 6:33pm
NY Times online, CNN, but only out of habit-I don't really like it. Huffington Post. I like the "trending now" feature of Yahoo.

mamalatte
12-13-11, 7:34pm
Thanks for all these great suggestions. I'm creating a new folder for news bookmarks! mamalatte

herbgeek
12-13-11, 8:21pm
Drudge Report primarily, but I'm right of center politically.

Jemima
12-13-11, 8:53pm
The New York Times online, hands-down winner. I'm also a subscriber to Chris Martenson's website and check the Daily Digest often. Occasionally I remember to scan the local rag online, especially now when I know a neighbor is very ill, so I'm checking the obituaries every few days and catching the headlines, too.

Mrs-M
12-14-11, 10:44am
Originally posted by Leslieann.
CBC, because I now live in Canada.Me too! :)

loosechickens
12-14-11, 3:06pm
Ah, I forgot the Drudge Report......I do check in with that, not daily, but often, especially when there is some story going on that I especially want to hear the conservative views. I used to do the Free Republic for that, but honestly, THAT site, like WorldNetDaily or NewsMax is just too populated with the fringes for me.

For daily conservative coverage, I really like the Daily Caller........I have that on my favorites right next to Huffington Post, and both of them are looked at daily.

I've never been a person who's liked just hearing an echo chamber of stuff that agrees with my own point of view. But I avoid the far right spots in the same way I avoid the very far left sites.....just not comfortable with the "lunatic fringe" of either side, hahahahaha.......

we used to have a station on our satellite where I could get the CBC for Canadian coverage, and also CNN International, which is GREATLY superior to CNN domestically for serious news, but alas, that station went off the air.......

Gardenarian
12-14-11, 4:51pm
Mostly I try to avoid the news. If there is something of interest or of relevance to me, I'll find out. I do scan the NYT headlines daily (I get it in my email) and occasionally follow up on a story.

"Traffic and news on the hour!" is my idea of hell.

ljevtich
12-14-11, 11:25pm
...CNN, Huffington Post....
Most often, my friends on FB post stories or news articles, and I read them. My DH reads lots of stories online from Washington Post (less and less), NY Times, LA Times or Sun and sometimes I read those too.

However, I also read stories that are more scientific as I have a scientific mind and not too many newspapers/magazines have up to date scientific information. So I get a subscription feed for stuff about geology, fossils, astronomy, climate change, stuff like that.

Geologytimes.com if you go there, you can also see others that do these newsletter feeds. You just have to scroll down to the bottom to see them.

Financial stuff: Money.cnn.com or bloomsberg.com for the bonds.
FactCheck.org or Snopes.com for finding the truth
Grist.com occasionally
But most of all: Jon Stewart >8)

redfox
12-15-11, 2:47am
Local NPR affiliate at the University of Washington (KUOW), NY Times, Wall Street Journal, WA Post, London Observer, BBC, Democracy Now, local Seattle rags.

Less frequently I check out the LA Times, SF Chronicle, Boston Globe, Denver Post, etc.

jp1
12-19-11, 9:59pm
For day to day news about major stuff in the US I browse through google news every day and maybe follow up with the NYTimes.com.

For world affairs - atimes.com. The asia times is a good counterpoint to US news sources for getting a decidedly non-american viewpoint about what's going on in the world.

For American foreign policy - antiwar.com. Specifically Justin Raimondo's 3x weekly column. I don't know who his sources are, but over the several years I've followed him there've been many times that he's written stuff about what's currently going on that seemed conspiracy-theory-ish that later turned out to be quite accurate.

For financial news - zerohedge.com. I like this one as much for the comments section that follows every post, as for the posts themselves. Yes, a lot of wackjob posts happen, but there are also plenty of really deeply insightful posts about economics mixed in by people with a wide range of experience/knowledge. At that point it's not especially news, but it's interesting reading, at least in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend this one unless someone is hardcore into following the absurdity of the world financial situation.