PDA

View Full Version : Dream Work

fidgiegirl
12-13-11, 6:50pm
I am doing a lot of dreaming about my work future. We are not yet financially independent so we will have to keep trading our life energy for money. But I am dreaming of the how . . .

puglogic recommended the book "Making a Living Without a Job" a few months ago and I have found it really inspiring. In fact, I need to get back into it and start writing down my new ideas. (I went to a technology conference the last two days and pretty pumped about online professional development and also videoconferencing).

I keep dreaming of a life where I can kind of dabble in this and that, develop one profit center and then add another and another . . .

How about you? What is your dream work?

Zoebird
12-13-11, 8:48pm
Doing it, and always expanding. I'm also interested in professional development and videoconferencing. Any programs or online groups or whatevers that you like?

fidgiegirl
12-13-11, 8:52pm
Just in the baby baby baby babyish phase of learning about it. I will post more if people are interested, though!

Zoebird
12-13-11, 9:05pm
I'm at the TTC stage of it. LOL

Spartana
12-15-11, 5:28pm
www.coolworks.com

I'm at that phase in life where only the jobs listed at a site like the cool works would even remotely interest me into going back to paid employment - even part time seasonal. Those jobs sound like fun to me - and a great way to see many parts of the world and get paid to do it. I like adventure, excitment and ...welll...doing cool stuff and there aren't too many jobs around like that. One day I would like to go to Antarctica to work for a year (yes, I'd want to winter over for the entire year) and hope to do that someday. Got my penquin pooper-scooper at the ready!!

fidgiegirl
12-15-11, 7:43pm
Got my penquin pooper-scooper at the ready!!

:laff::laff::laff:

Zoebird
12-16-11, 2:57am
heh. :)

i think that there is paid work and then there are just passions that you get paid for. i'm in this latter group, and it's worth it.

my friend just got back from a stint in antarctica (http://rebeccapriestley.com/). You'll have to scroll to find the first blog post about it. cool stuff. :)

Spartana
12-16-11, 1:15pm
heh. :)

i think that there is paid work and then there are just passions that you get paid for. i'm in this latter group, and it's worth it.

my friend just got back from a stint in antarctica (http://rebeccapriestley.com/). You'll have to scroll to find the first blog post about it. cool stuff. :)

WOW!! Really great blog. I had tried for years to go to Ant. while I was in the coast guard - either to the base they have there at McMurdo Sound or on one of the ice breakers that patrol down there during the southern hem. summer months. But could never get an assignment. Stll a dream of mine though and I do intend to get there to work someday. I have engineering and science skills I could use but I think I'd actually be happier doing some sort of manual labor or, yes... being the resident penquin pooper-scooper :-)! There are several companies that hire there for both seasonal as well as year round work but it's really hard to get in - lots of applicants for every job even before the job market hit the skids - probably even tougher now.

Joyous_5
12-17-11, 9:19pm
Oh my, I think we might be soul sisters--hello, Anne of Green Gables? One of my all time favorite childhood movies! I just checked out your blogs and will be back for more reading there soon. We recently moved as well (August) and I commend you for all the hard work you're doing on your new place. We slapped some paint on the walls in the two main rooms but have much more to do in the months ahead.

Getting to your question though . . . I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, brainstorming, pondering and reading (I liked the book "Making a Living Without a Job," too) and I think my biggest dream would be to work as an artist--I love mixed media art and writing and performing. I've also thought of art therapy but it would require me to go back to school which I can't afford right now (time or money). I have been working as a freelance writer for the past few years and now am combining that with marketing work for nonprofits. It's good work--the best mix I've had to date in that it really uses my creativity and problem solving abilities, but it's tiring balancing work and home and family (I have a two-year old and he's a live wire!). And still struggling (always struggling) to carve out time for creativity.

From the small amount I read on your blog, I can tell you are very creative and hands on, in addition to being someone who focuses in on things and needs time and maybe quiet, to really delve deep and understand things. I feel the same way! I'm frustrated with being constantly interrupted--I love learning but I need time to really absorb and understand things.

Keep us posted on your progress--it would be fun to start a thread on here dedicated to our goals in this area, and would help create some accountability, too. So often I say, "Yes, I want to do X," but then actually MAKING the time for X is the trick.

Thanks again for the cool discussion!

Selah
12-20-11, 8:45am
Wow, cool blog!

I'm in the same boat career-wise. I hit a major cul-de-sac when I resigned from my job in Nevada to move to Florida, and have not worked for just over a year now. Next week (!) DH and I are moving to Israel, and I will be faced with needing to learn Hebrew first, and then figuring out not only want I want to do professionally, but what I will be ABLE to do, given my situation as a new immigrant. I have been doing freelance work in many different areas over the past year, which works for me in ALL ways except financially (!). I really wonder if I will ever figure out what I want to do and/or should do with regards to work. I identify with your confusion and want to tell you, you are NOT alone!

kitten
12-21-11, 5:49pm
So funny - so many people here are already doing something I've been dreaming of! Spartana, retired and choosing to do whatever she wants. Fidgiegirl, on a sure track to early retirement. Zoebird owns a thriving biznez. Joyous_5 is a writer! OMG! That's what I want to do SO BAD! And you're doing it! And looking to combine art and performance art with it. (Are you me in a parallel universe where I'm actually doing what I was born to do? LOL)

Thanks for an inspiring thread :)

Joyous_5
12-21-11, 8:23pm
(Are you me in a parallel universe where I'm actually doing what I was born to do? LOL)

That's funny~what type of writing are you interested in? If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. I've been freelancing for the past few years but my passion is writing fiction. Love it. Seriously, get in touch if you have any questions . . . and good for you for continuing to dream. You'll get there!

kitten
12-22-11, 5:27pm
Thanks for the encouragement Joyous_5! I'll pm you :)))

That's funny~what type of writing are you interested in? If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. I've been freelancing for the past few years but my passion is writing fiction. Love it. Seriously, get in touch if you have any questions . . . and good for you for continuing to dream. You'll get there!

Dhiana
12-22-11, 8:06pm
It has only taken me 40 years to figure out what I want to do when I grew up...

An Artist!

Completed my first small scale interactive art installation last August and I'm putting together the plans for my second piece to mostly be done by the end of March with a fully completed project by mid-July!! I finally don't mind working 12+ hour days...hopefully I will make some money from my pieces :)

artist
12-24-11, 1:52pm
My dream work is being a well enough known artist that I can make a living at it and not have to do other odd jobs. I want to be able to do this full time so that I can sit on arts councils and committees, take courses towards my masters in fine arts, teach workshops and show in group and individual exhibitions. Right now I'm still trying to get my name out there. I did a total of 12 shows this year and I am trying to fill my schedule for shows for 2012. Minor sales here and there (under $1,000 for the year) add to our income but simply isn't enough for me to stop doing house cleaning and respite care.