PDA

View Full Version : I know its just playing to the TV audience, but this is just WRONG IMO

herbgeek
12-15-11, 5:31pm
Flipping through the channels, I caught a couple of minutes of the Dr. Oz show.

The particular segment was about supplements to take to combat various types of holiday stress. One was dealing with a pushy MIL, another for kids who want expensive toys, another for someone who tried to do too much.

IMO, all of these things should be handled through /behavior/, for example lovingly but firmly setting boundaries with in laws, setting limits with children, and saying no to tasks that just make you frazzled.

It just seemed so wrong to medicate these people instead of addressing the real issues.

Your opinion? I'm not anti supplement (I take vitamins and fish oil) this just didn't seem to be to be the best option.

ctg492
12-15-11, 5:49pm
My 80 year old Mom loves Dr Oz. I think this is how the show survives telling people the food/supplement/Vitamin of the day. My Mom will call and tell me what to eat, Dr Oz said so :)
Any healthy living info is good, but none is a quick fix..is it.

treehugger
12-15-11, 5:56pm
That seems really, really odd to me. Sure you can treat some symptoms of stress with diet, but specific supplements for specific people who bug you in your life?? Beyond bizarre.

My sister did give me a pack of gum once that was called, "Enjoy Spending Time with Your Mother Gum." I tried it; it didn't work.

I have never watched Dr. Oz, but I have had plenty of people quote him to me. He is revered, beloved! That alone makes me take anything I hear from him with a grain of salt. But, I am contrary like that. :-}

Kara

CathyA
12-15-11, 6:38pm
At first, when he was on the Today Show, he seemed very reasonable. Now he's sort of an Alternative Medicine doc. I'm not knocking those docs, but he's got quite a following and says things that aren't always true. I guess the Oprah crowd needed a new leader.
I guess as far as his info.........I sift through it and take what I want. But it does concern me that he's telling everyone to take so many supplements.

rosarugosa
12-15-11, 7:02pm
My Mom told me I should eat 5 black olives a day because Dr. Oz says it's good for you. I'm going to go with it since I love black olives.

sweetana3
12-15-11, 7:39pm
I watched that strange show once. Dr. Oz said picking your nose causes brain infections and he went on and on and made it really scary. It is not beyond a possibility that some infection might in some very very rare instance but really!!! He may have some gems stuck in his show but the amount of junk that is around them is unreal.

I stopped watching Martha Stewart when she said we could make our own marshmallows. (It took forever.)

Simplemind
12-15-11, 9:09pm
I like Dr. Oz and think he makes medical information accessable and understandable. Not every show is going to blow your mind with something you didn't know. A vitamin isn't going to hurt you and he isn't selling them. I believe he said that he only takes a multi vitamin and omega 3. I consider it medical entertainment not unlike what Dr. Phil does for counseling and judge Judy does for law. I am currently testing a supplement I heard about from him that is an antioxident that helps prevent sunburn. I'll let you know if it works.

JaneV2.0
12-15-11, 9:35pm
On the other hand, I think Dr. Oz is a quack. He lost me when he called Gary Taubes--a highly respected award-winning science writer--"psychotic" because his (extensive) research flew in the face of Oz's personal beliefs. And really, put on some pants, Mehmmie. rrrrr

peggy
12-15-11, 9:47pm
My 80 year old Mom loves Dr Oz. I think this is how the show survives telling people the food/supplement/Vitamin of the day. My Mom will call and tell me what to eat, Dr Oz said so :)
Any healthy living info is good, but none is a quick fix..is it.

This is my sister. She is always telling me how she is eating this or that because he said it was good for you.
One thing, have you ever noticed how all the "miracle' foods grow in south America or some tropical island, or the deepest darkest somewhere? It's never anything we could just grow in our own gardens. There aren't any miracle foods easily available to us, to buy or grow. This tells me this miracle food of the day thing is kind of a racket.

loosechickens
12-16-11, 12:18am
well, shoot.....how would they build a multi-level marketing edifice on something you could grow in your own back yard?.....of COURSE it has to be goji berries, or some kind of fruit known only to remote Amazonian tribes (until the intrepid explorer/internet guru found it), hahahahahahaha......

Suzanne
12-16-11, 12:44am
Yes. Also, Westerners following the latest berry/gum/nectar craze drive deforestation (or other environmental devastation) as acres of forest are felled to monocrop the latest miracle crop, and when the bubble pops when we're bored with goji, the farmers are broke and the forest is gone. As LC says, it's all about marketing!

Simplemind
12-16-11, 1:22am
It isn't easy entertaining the masses for 30 minutes five days a week. Is it OK that I eat almonds? To be fair, I was eating them for a snack before the mad turk recommended them. Oh... and the blueberries I was growing and eating before he endorsed them.
I might as well lay myself bare and admit I am in love with Dr Drew. I could look at him all day. Yep, my name is Simplemind and I watch Celebrity Rehab. Say NO to drugs. Get your high from almonds and blueberries!

fidgiegirl
12-16-11, 8:50am
The few times I've watched Oz I've found it relatively harmless - mostly about weight loss, which basically the vast majority of us needs to do. Now "The Doctors" - I roll my eyes every time I watch that one! It's always about sex stuff and always so very scary!

CathyA
12-16-11, 12:18pm
I just wish he'd talk slower. haha

KayLR
12-16-11, 12:46pm
Oh, "The Doctors!" Talk about a crock....I don't even believe those guys are real doctors. They just look like they're playing them on tv. And I have a friend who hangs on their every word.

Mighty Frugal
12-16-11, 12:56pm
It isn't easy entertaining the masses for 30 minutes five days a week. Is it OK that I eat almonds? To be fair, I was eating them for a snack before the mad turk recommended them. Oh... and the blueberries I was growing and eating before he endorsed them.
I might as well lay myself bare and admit I am in love with Dr Drew. I could look at him all day. Yep, my name is Simplemind and I watch Celebrity Rehab. Say NO to drugs. Get your high from almonds and blueberries!

:D:D:laff::laff:

Zoebird
12-16-11, 4:49pm
I've been a fan of Dr Drew for many years, actually. He's been very consistent in his perspectives and compassionate in his advice to people. Back in the day, he was on "love line" -- which i found to be a crazy/enjoyable show, wherein he would always tell people to think about others before their own sexual pleasures. He was quite adamant about not "bringing chaos into a relationship" in particular to an 'already chaotic relationship." more chaos wasn't going to help.

i don't watch any of these shows (no access), and haven't 'watched' Dr Drew since "love line" (so, 1990s?), but when i read/hear things he says online that i happen to catch in passing, the guy seems pretty solid.

Simplemind
12-16-11, 8:04pm
Zoebird, Love line with Dr. Drew and Adam C was the first time I had ever seen him. It was a late night guilty pleasure that I would watch for snorts and giggles with my then boyfriend now husband. I drooled for Drew and loved his shirts. DH took the hint and bought a couple that were similar and rolled the cuff ala Dr D for me.

Zoebird
12-16-11, 8:58pm
Husbands do the loveliest things. :)

DH and I were just dating when I watched it too. He would watch it with me, and go "i don't know how they keep getting so many calls on the same topic. Drew just says "no" over and over. So, why does anyone call anymore?

And I said that I think people like watching him say no. :)