PDA

View Full Version : December Gratitude

SiouzQ.
12-17-11, 9:08am
I was looking for it and didn't find it, so I'll start: happiness and gratitude for being able to cat-sit my ex-mother-in-law's cat while she is in Mexico, as I have been pet-less since my Smokey went to ktity heaven last summer Finally got the kitty to sleep on the bed last night and got her purring real good. Also a whole bunch of gratitude for having my ex-mother-in-law in my life and ever so grateful for her generosity. She gave me a $1000 check for Christmas and it is going straight into savings, for the most part.
Ooops, got to run to work. I must remember to be grateful that I still have a job, even though it is sucking the life out of me right now.

JaneV2.0
12-17-11, 3:38pm
I'm grateful for recent mild weather--today the sun is shining and twinkling off the lake--a calm and peaceful shopping season (thank heavens for Etsy and Amazon), and plenty of good will among family and friends. We're all doing OK, which is a Good Thing these days.

Greg44
12-17-11, 4:34pm
I am grateful I have an inside job - where it is warm.

Simpler at Fifty
12-17-11, 9:59pm
I am grateful we were able to spend time with our DN and her BF. They drove up from Chicago to drop off a car that her parents are picking up on Monday.

leslieann
12-18-11, 7:52am
I am grateful that DH and I can talk things through. I am grateful that we are still without snow cover, even though some people here would like to use their skis. But no shoveling, at least not yet! I am grateful that we have central heat (it is plenty COLD here, just no snow), and that we can afford heat and delicious food and plans for the holidays. The thread about "what did you eat when you were very poor" has really, REALLy stuck with me, and I am thinking a lot about hunger and poverty, and aware of the abundance of my life. Thanks for starting the thread, SiouzQ.

treehugger
12-19-11, 12:13pm
I'm grateful that I will be able to quit my 2nd job (catering server), just when I reached my limit on the stress it was causing me.

My husband has finally found a decent-paying part-time job that fits in with his school schedule. Just in the nick of time, before working cluster-f**k events made me lose my mind!

Kara

jennipurrr
12-19-11, 2:24pm
I am grateful to (hopefully!) have an easy Christmas for once. All sorts on in-law drama about a relative's last minute wedding and Christmas at the beach. We planned to work around all this and now it was announced everyone else is leaving early due to all sorts of issues that don't pertain to us. So, DH and I get to have two days at the beach BY OURSELVES for Christmas. Ahhhhhhhh, bliss............best Christmas present ever.

puglogic
12-19-11, 3:51pm
Grateful for this warm room from which I'm typing (looking outside at the snow falling gently). Despite the usual worries and shortages, I feel very blessed this year.

Float On
12-19-11, 5:01pm
I'm thankful that my 20 hour per week part time job gives me sick days, holidays, and 40 hours of vacation a year. For once I did not use up all my vacation time during the year traveling to art shows with my DH and am going to take the entire week between christmas and new years off. The boys and I are headed to the farm!

Even though our wholesale and retail sales have been horrible this year - I'm thankful that I never had a late payment and very thankful that DH found a local job. He hasn't reached that 'grateful' point yet because he wants to be in his studio all the time. Hopefully things will turn around for him in the next year or two but for now I'm thankful (oh so thankful) for a regular paycheck and less money going out the door for studio expenses/travel expenses/show fees/etc.....

I'm also thankful that after talking with our Insurance company they realized that our physical studio building was actually under both our house insurance and business insurance. We're going to be getting a refund for that overcharge that we've paid for 12 years!!!

babr
12-20-11, 7:11am
i am grateful to my dear husband; who goes to medical appts. with me; takes notes as i have memory problems; updates my half page full of meds. for appts.; i don't ask that he do these things; he just cares; seeing so many unhappy couples

grateful to have a warm place to live in; food; good food to eat; dh has a job; i travel to the city by bus and see all the poor souls who are down and out; my heart breaks; if we had a peace department instead of a big defense department or just some money from the defense dpt.; maybe we would have some money to help our own

JaneV2.0
12-21-11, 7:39pm
I'm grateful that, after several months, a sweet "special needs" dog--age, breed, and medical condition--is getting a good home for Christmas. My friend had been socializing him two days a week for some time at her local humane society and wanted to adopt him, but her original rescue dog didn't like the idea. Finally, two women stepped up to claim him, and he'll be home for the holidays. I love happy endings.

artist
12-22-11, 6:15am
Grateful for a hot shower, warm clothing and heat.

DarkStar
12-22-11, 7:03pm
I got accepted into grad school, and will be co-advised by two awesome people. I found a new apartment within walking distance to campus. And I've made several good friends this year, and have been able to spend some time with old friends. Plus this year I had the best faculty mentor and boss I could ever have. Life is good.

Jemima
12-23-11, 12:06am
I'm grateful that I was able to retire this past September and that doing so has not meant pinching every penny. I'm very grateful that I won't have to drive icy or snow-covered roads to get to work. :D

puglogic
12-23-11, 11:27pm
I'm grateful to be alive and healthy right now. Life is good.

Simpler at Fifty
12-24-11, 7:06am
I am grateful for snow for Christmas. We weren't supposed to have any and last night we got 3".

jania
12-24-11, 9:27am
Stepping outside my current feeling of crankiness I know I am grateful to have a safe place to live, a roof over my head and plentiful food. My little family is all doing well and I have a good job.....so taking these little breaks for thankfulness is a good way to let go of crankiness.

fidgiegirl
12-27-11, 11:18pm
jania, I find the same thing!! :)

Grateful for my parents! They have been so suuuuuuuper helpful on our house reno. I can't even believe it! They have come down at least half a dozen times in the last six weeks, and they live an hour away. Today they even brought the (delicious!) lunch food. My dad has saved us thousands in electrical labor and on the supplies through his frugal reuse of existing items. For example, we wanted to get rid of our electric stove and get gas, whereas we wanted to get rid of the gas dryer and get electric. He was able to reuse the conduit by doing all kinds of fancy pants conduit acrobatics and we didn't have to buy any for the dryer wiring. This is just one small example. Plus it's been an excellent bonding experience for all of us :) So very grateful for them today.

Stella
12-27-11, 11:32pm
I am so grateful for my amazing family and this amazing adventure we are on together. It's been a crazy, incredible month.

Simpler at Fifty
12-30-11, 9:52am
Today I am going to the funeral of my 96 yr old client and friend. I was her Guardian for 5 years. I preplanned her funeral and her 'family' begrudgedly made the funeral arrangements. Except for um, her clothing. They did not have any clothes and did not feel it was their responsibility to go to the nursing home to 'pick them out'. I gladly did that. Then when the NH called and said they needed her room and what should they do with her things the family said they did not want anything , "oh, but was there any jewelry?" So today before the funeral I will gladly go to the NH and gather her 'things' and donate her clothes to the Thrift store. Her stuffed animals willbe regifted to the NH bingo stash and I will offer any other personal things to her nieces who feel very left out from the spoiled DGDs. I was going to post this in the 'Peeve' thread but indeed this is more about gratitude for me. I am thankful I helped her for 5 years knowing now how her family really felt about her. Tomorrow night at dinner I will raise a toast to MBW for helping me understand Dementia and wanting to help other people in her situation. I am filled with gratitude today for the lessons she taught me. RIP dear friend, RIP.

fidgiegirl
12-30-11, 10:05am
Beautiful, Simpler. She was lucky to have you.