PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk nasal irrigation

kally
12-17-11, 8:11pm
It's that time. I get a cough this time of year that goes on for weeks and weeks. I just got an x-ray and don't know the results, but probably nothing, as I get this every year.

This year I am trying some nasal irrigation. I am using a little used honey pot and the mixture of water, salt and baking soda. It does seem to help.

Anyone else do this? Wondering how many times a day would help with this ghastly cough.

Simplemind
12-17-11, 8:28pm
Our whole family has embraced the Neti pot. I was not wild about it at first but it is better than cold pills when I am stuffed up. I wear a CPAP at night for sleep apnea and it won't work with a stuffy nose. I haven't had a head cold for several years now.

redfox
12-17-11, 8:34pm
Grossan nasal irrigation is what I use when I am getting sick. It's very useful.
Please be sure to sterlize water you use in your Neti.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/InfectionControl/30283

bae
12-17-11, 8:43pm
I started using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea about 18 months ago or so. Switching between the nice filtered air at night, and the normal dust/pollen/mold filled air of the forest here during the day was causing me to get seriously congested and stopped up, which is no good.

So, after experimenting with a variety of things, what has worked nicely for me is a simple sal****er irrigation multiple times a day, especially if I am starting to feel stuffy at all. Since starting this, I haven't had any colds or sinus infections, which is a win.

kally
12-17-11, 9:52pm
that is good to know redfox. Rare, but possible

JaneV2.0
12-17-11, 10:20pm
I inhale and gargle salt water when I feel an upper respiratory infection coming on. I'm convinced I'd drown myself with a Neti pot.

After reading about killer amoebas, I do boil and cool the water first.

kally
12-17-11, 11:36pm
I boil and cool the water too. It seemed the only way to get the salt to dissolve.

herbgeek
12-18-11, 8:43am
I do nasal irrigation (via a bottle not a neti pot) every day. I feel "unclean" if I skip a day, like I would if I did not brush my teeth. I rarely get sick anymore. I started off boiling the water, but since I have a well I decided the risk was fairly low for pathogens. So now I just use warm tap water.

jania
12-18-11, 9:32am
I learned nasal irrigation years ago using just a cup as the neti pots weren't easily available. It is great and I irrigate whenever I feel any congestion coming on.

lmerullo
12-19-11, 8:46pm
I use a squeeze bottle type thing. It came with packets of powder to add to the water, but now I just use a homemade mix of sea salt and baking soda. I have been able to avoid sinus infections and the needed antibiotics to clear them ever since. Huge fan!

fidgiegirl
12-19-11, 9:45pm
Maybe I should try a squeeze bottle. I can never get the water to pass through very well. And then I feel I exacerbate whatever issues I'm having because it's like I fill up my sinuses or something. I sure WANT to benefit from nasal irrigation, but my tries have not felt very good.

herbgeek
12-20-11, 6:46am
It's important to hang upside down (I just bend over and stretch the back of my legs) after doing the flushing as you sinuses drain on the top. If I don't do this for a minute or so, my sinuses will feel full. Be prepared for some of the saline to come out then or when you stand back up.

kally
12-20-11, 5:32pm
okay i have a question. When you do the N.I. do you get that horrid feeling like the one you get jumping into the pool and getting water up your nose. Or are you supposed to NOT get that.

mtnlaurel
12-20-11, 5:41pm
I do it the way my grandmother showed me.... Warm salt water....
Pour in one hand cupped (left).
Then use other hand to close other nostril (right pointer finger closes right nostril).
Then hold cupped hand up to that side nostril and snort (left cupped hand to left nostril).

Switch sides and repeat above as opposite.

(Do all of this over the sink...)

For tingles in throat gargle with warm salt water.

lmerullo
12-21-11, 10:17am
herbgeek - yes! I tilt / hang upside down to ensure that all sinus cavities have been rinsed. There is a youtube video that shows body postures to get relief in certain areas.

One thing I read is to not lie down for about half an hour after rinsing - I always assume to avoid "drowning" due to drainage. I have been known to do a forward bend to look at something a good 20 minutes after a rinse, only to have a gush of saline run out.

kally - the feeling is not so vigorous as a pool jump. It is a little unusual, but not uncomfortable. Make sure the mix is done properly with the salt / baking soda, or you will get a burning sensation due to the solution not being the proper ph.

Jemima
12-21-11, 10:50am
I boil water in an old-fashioned stovetop percolator and pour about a cup over a tablespoon or so of thyme in a small mixing bowl. Then I bend over, rest my chin and forehead on the bowl rim, and inhale until the water stops steaming. It really helps.

My doctor also recommended a saline nasal spray from the drugstore, but it doesn't help as much as the thyme inhalant. Opening the windows for a short time every day also helps. Indoor air is far more polluted than most outside air.

And to think I nearly spent $20 on a plastic, hard-to-clean Walgreen's vaporizer.

Rogar
12-21-11, 10:38pm
I am prone to sinus infections that can come and go all winter with dry or cold air and also with seasonal allergies. I have tried the neti pot and other remedies including antibiotics and steroids, and will swear by a personal steam inhaler as the best for me. I use mine maybe five minutes two or three times a day whenever I start feeling stuffy or as recovery from a cold. If you want to cleanse your sinuses of dust or allergens maybe a neti pot is the answer, but if they are irritated, infected, or dry, a steam inhalor can do wonders. Mine is a Kaz and cost about $35.

larknm
12-27-11, 6:45pm
You're not supposed to get that horrid feeling.

ReneeIngram
4-12-12, 2:27am
I do nasal irrigation when i have sinus infection. It is the best way to get rid of sinus congestion.

morning girl
4-12-12, 9:44am
I use my neti pot in the shower. If I make a mess(and I do) there is no cleanup. I use it if I feel a cold coming on. Seems to ward them off.

Tussiemussies
4-15-12, 11:21pm
I alway have used a Neti pot but just recently read that two people had complications because they did not use distiller water. Also the mentioned usin non- idolized salt. I wouln't deviate at all from that recipe. Good luck!

Tussiemussies
4-15-12, 11:22pm
Sorry for my typing , I' m on a little keyboard! lOL