PDA

View Full Version : Decorating with pine sap-oozing greenery.... :(

CathyA
12-19-11, 9:46am
We had huge branches break off a beautiful big white pine recently with a very wet snowfall. So I thought "great! I can use the branches to decorate the mantel and around the house this year, without cutting anything live." Well.........forget it! I had totally forgotten about all the sap that comes out of things that are recently cut. Fortunately, I had left them in the entranceway for several days before I was going to use them.
Tons of sticky sap oozing out. And it is sooooooooo sticky.
I was thinking about wrapping the ends in some kind of tape??? This will work on the mantel, but not on the table.
Any suggestions? I really would like to use these.

IshbelRobertson
12-19-11, 12:03pm
I used to dip the cut ends of holly and ivy branches in melted wax - it might work for pine branches...

Float On
12-19-11, 12:16pm
Thats a very good idea Ishbel!

I was trying to think of how Baking Soda could be helpful (per other threads :) ) but couldn't figure it out.

CathyA
12-19-11, 12:49pm
LOL Float On....about the baking soda.
Thanks Ishbel..........great idea!

IshbelRobertson
12-19-11, 5:07pm
My lesson was a hard one to learn. A beautiful antique Brussels lace runner on a large mantlepiece... couldn't get the bright green from the ivy strands out - and it was totally ruined! A friend suggested the melted wax technique and it worked for subsequent decorating tasks.

CathyA
12-19-11, 7:41pm
Oh, that's a shame Ishbel!
DH gave a couple of our candles a haircut, since the wick was getting too far down. So I have lots of wax to use! thanks again.

Mrs-M
12-20-11, 9:00am
Originally posted by IshbelRobertson.
I used to dip the cut ends of holly and ivy branches in melted waxOne of the niftiest ideas/tips I've ever happened upon! Yes indeed, thank you!

CathyA
12-20-11, 1:47pm
I've never had that problem with nursery-bought evergreen branches..........but that's probably because they were so old!