PDA

View Full Version : MLK day - acts of justice

Anne Lee
1-17-11, 8:35am
I've been thinking about how to observe Martin Luther King day. I decided that some act of justice is in keeping with the legacy of Dr. King.

So what are your acts of justice?

iris lily
1-17-11, 9:23am
This is a tought one. It seemingly is necessary for mother nature to produce some of the worst weather imaginable on MLK day. IT is predicted to be wet todya, in addition to being cold. The most I'm willing to do is to cheer mentally the hardly people who will be doing the 1 mile march today. Ech year my city has a march that ends up in a chruch where people talk about MLK ideas and such.

redfox
1-17-11, 9:44am
I am taking several large boxes of food to our local food bank. DH's workplace has been collecting them, and today is the day!

Anne Lee
1-17-11, 10:23am
This is a tought one. It seemingly is necessary for mother nature to produce some of the worst weather imaginable on MLK day.

Indeed. I had more or less planned to spend the day at home working on my thesis. I thought about donating some money to a cause but last night's budget meeting with DH scotched that idea as we are giving financially everything we are able. We are already supporting children through World Vision (child hunger). I already donated Happy's things and remaining dog food to the Humane Society (compassion to animals). I already was planning to eat vegan-by-day (environment).

The only thing I hadn't planned on taking action on today was economic justice. That translates to me as education - that everyone receives an education that equips them to participate fully in and receive the benefits of the economy. It can also mean organizations like Habitat for Humanity.

Well, I just liked our state Habitat for Humanity affiliate on FB. I'll post a note too.

Anne Lee
1-17-11, 11:21am
Ok, this is the note I posted. I feel better

================================================== =

So I've been thinking about justice this morning. In honor of MLK day, I was thinking it would be a good idea to do an act of justice. But what? And how?

Lot's of people have their ideas of what justice is and who needs it. One of my big drums that I like to beat is economic justice - that everyone who is willing can contribute towards, participate in, and receive the benefits of our economy. Education is a huge part of economic justice. So is home ownership and - quite frankly - a health care system that doesn't bankrupt people*. But I digress.

After a budget committee meeting last night with my hubby, donating to a cause today was not an option. Neither was going out and doing a "corporal act of mercy". I need to stay home and get some work done today.

So, I decided to "like" Habitat for Humanity on Facebook and commit - before God and Facebook - to collect "found change" for one year to be given next year on MKL day to Habitat. "Found change" is that change found in the couch, in the dryer, on the ground, wherever.

I know from past experience that found change generally nets me about $35 a year. While I am not one to toss away $35 a year as a pittance (after all, savings is like principle free interest; I'd have to have $1166 invested at 3% to earn $35) I can't say that anyone is receiving any consistent benefit from that found change except maybe the gumball vendor at work.

As part of this justice initiative, I challenge YOU to find change. Pick a cause that addresses some injustice that you find especially egregious in a way that you find meritorious. I don't care much what it is. I am of the opinion that if we all did something then everything will benefit. Collect found change. It doesn't have to be a whole year. A week, a month, three months will do. Send in the money.

Find some change, people. It's not hard. Don't let another MLK day go by without having done something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* I'm not saying the new health care law is the answer. I don't know. But the old way was not working, not if having an accident or getting a serious illness could destroy financially someone who was otherwise doing everything right.

Valley
1-17-11, 1:34pm
Thanks for giving me something to think about today! I appreciate your viewpoint.

IshbelRobertson
1-26-11, 5:39pm
I'm Scots, therefore ignorant of much that MLK means to Americans.

BUT, 'I have a dream' speech has always managed to reduce me to tears.