PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Manning

San Onofre Guy
12-20-11, 11:05am
I heard on Pacifica this morning that there was a court hearing for Bradley Manning yesterday. During a lull in the hearing an older gentleman walked up to Manning and said Young Man I would like to shake your hand and thank you for what you did, my name is Daniel Ellsburg! Mr. Ellsburg was then escourted from the courtroom by the Military Police.

I love our modern day Patriots!

Gregg
12-20-11, 11:24am
Regardless of whatever else they may be the two men are, by all appearances, birds of a feather.

creaker
12-20-11, 11:30am
It was a brave thing to do, under the new law he could "disappear" for a very long time.

Alan
12-20-11, 11:34am
Regardless of whatever else they may be the two men are, by all appearances, birds of a feather.
I'm not too sure of that. Ellsburg was truly inspired by his anti-war sentiments, while Bradley/Breanna Manning seems to have been inspired by Don't Ask Don't Tell. His defense isn't based on righting a wrong or truth seeking, but rather that he shouldn't have been allowed access to the information.

LDAHL
12-20-11, 12:21pm
We will never know how many people suffered because of his treachery. We do know he dishonored his oath and placed a higher value on his personal pique than the country he swore to defend. If there is any justice, he will rot in prison for the rest of his days.

Lainey
12-20-11, 6:44pm
Would you say the same about Oliver North?

LDAHL
12-21-11, 8:24am
Would you say the same about Oliver North?

He violated the Boland Amendment. That was a crime, but hardly comparable in my mind to the level of Manning's betrayal.

creaker
12-21-11, 11:51pm
He violated the Boland Amendment. That was a crime, but hardly comparable in my mind to the level of Manning's betrayal.

Didn't he violate it by selling weapons to a country who, at the time, were considered terrorists?

LDAHL
12-22-11, 12:31pm
Didn't he violate it by selling weapons to a country who, at the time, were considered terrorists?

Absolutely. He ran a convoluted operation aimed at selling weapons to one terrorist state that would most likely be employed against a neighboring terrorist state and used the proceeds to fund operations against a third terrorist state. He was rightly convicted, but did no serious time because he got an immunity deal.

I think Manning's offense was worse. For reasons that were apparently no more serious than spite, he put people wearing the same uniform at risk. He aided his county's enemies and compromised his county's diplomatic position. North violated his county's law. Manning did that, and betrayed the people who voluntarily put themselves in harm's way to defend the same nation he swore to protect. He should suffer severely for it.

Gregg
12-22-11, 1:53pm
I think Manning's offense was worse. For reasons that were apparently no more serious than spite, he put people wearing the same uniform at risk. He aided his county's enemies and compromised his county's diplomatic position. North violated his county's law. Manning did that, and betrayed the people who voluntarily put themselves in harm's way to defend the same nation he swore to protect. He should suffer severely for it.

(Assuming he is first found guilty...) +1

peggy
12-22-11, 4:11pm
Absolutely. He ran a convoluted operation aimed at selling weapons to one terrorist state that would most likely be employed against a neighboring terrorist state and used the proceeds to fund operations against a third terrorist state. He was rightly convicted, but did no serious time because he got an immunity deal.

I absolutely agree with you on this. He broke the law and committed treason (I'm assuming he is guilty) I also think Dick Cheney should face the court for treason, but that's another argument for another time.
I know some consider Manning a hero, but here's the thing about being a hero. If you want to be one, you also need to understand and accept the consequences. Real heroes know this.

JaneV2.0
12-22-11, 4:32pm
"I think Manning's offense was worse. For reasons that were apparently no more serious than spite... He aided his county's enemies and compromised his county's diplomatic position. " (LDAHL)

Kind of like the Valerie Plame outing.

LDAHL
12-22-11, 5:01pm
"I think Manning's offense was worse. For reasons that were apparently no more serious than spite... He aided his county's enemies and compromised his county's diplomatic position. " (LDAHL)

No argument there. Although I find Manning's betrayel of brothers in arms to be especially vile.

LDAHL
12-22-11, 5:02pm
I absolutely agree with you on this.

Now there's a Christmas miracle!

Bronxboy
12-22-11, 5:35pm
Bradley Manning will likely be the Willie Horton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Horton) of 2012.

peggy
12-22-11, 9:42pm

Exactly like the Valerie Plame outing!! Treason is treason, no matter who does it.

peggy
12-22-11, 9:46pm
Now there's a Christmas miracle!

No miracle. I'm pretty much down the middle on most thing. I'm just very vocal about it! :) Happy Holidays LDAHL.

jp1
12-27-11, 10:17pm
I think Manning's offense was worse... North violated his county's law.

If the seemingly inevitable war with Iran finally happens and the Iranians start using the weapons they bought from North against US soldiers will you still feel the same way?

Gregg
12-28-11, 4:11pm
If the seemingly inevitable war with Iran finally happens and the Iranians start using the weapons they bought from North against US soldiers will you still feel the same way?

Maybe the real answer would be for the US to stop being the arms dealer to the world. There is no way to track where things will eventually end up no matter what the intentions at the beginning of the deal were. If we quit supplying weapons it will be far more difficult for anyone to wage a war (unless they just throw rocks). Maybe the US should link up with Canada and form OWEC, the Organization of WHEAT Exporting Countries. Casting all morals aside for the sake of this argument, food can be a very effective weapon and can, in and of itself, rarely be used against the suppliers.

jp1
12-28-11, 10:23pm
I think the real answer would take it a step further and stop meddling in everyone else's business, including selling arms, starting pointless wars, maintaining military bases in many many countries, etc. But the military industrial complex and all the businesses that benefit from our department of offense's efforts wouldn't hear of that plan, and will keep bringing up every scary boogieman they can think up in order to keep the average american in favor of all this wasteful death and destruction.

Back to my point, though, if and when we have a war with Iran I suspect that more american soldiers will end up being harmed by Ollie North's actions then will ever be harmed by anything Private Manning did.