PDA

View Full Version : Terrariums

KayLR
12-21-11, 12:28pm
Just read a short magazine story about terrariums and now I'm wanting to make one.

I do not typically do well with houseplants, and do not have any at the moment. But there's just something charming to me about a terrarium, and I think having something green in the house would make me feel better about winter.

Anyone do terrariums and have any words of wisdom? What types of containers do you use?

Rosemary
12-21-11, 3:22pm
I've made a few terrariums. I found it difficult to regulate the moisture. Seemed like they either got moldy or the plants dried out.

rosarugosa
12-23-11, 7:54am
Hey Kay, I think I read the same article - in BH&G, right? I thought I would like to try too. I'm also tempted to buy the book since Tovah Martin is one of my favorite garden writers. I have a couple of her books and she gives very practical advice. Where many books on houseplants talk about getting a light meter and measuring candle-watts of light for plant exposure (yeah, right), Tovah tells you what grows well in a north, south, east, and west window.
We have 28 windows in our tiny house and we are passionate gardeners, but our cats like to eat our houseplants so we have fewer than I would like. Seems like terrariums would keep the plants safe from the boys.
ETA: Just remembered that Mom recently gave me a couple of large wide-mouth clear glass storage jars with glass lids that would be perfect.

KayLR
12-23-11, 7:39pm
Yeah it was BH & G---think I'm going to peruse the local thrifts after the holiday uproar is over and see if I can find a nice vessel. I was really seduced by some of those beautiful containers in the article!