PDA

View Full Version : Are Non-toxic Paints for Real?

Jemima
12-21-11, 1:02pm
I generally dislike painting the walls in my house, but I've got a bathroom that's just too small and tedious to wallpaper. My handyman tells me Sherwin-Williams makes paint that is non-toxic, but I'm having a hard time believing it after so many years of being deceived by everyone from manufacturers to government agencies.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Any advice?

redfox
12-21-11, 1:55pm
We use only low VOC paints. I would do some research about the best ones, as some only mask the VOC smell, while others are actually low VOC. Don't know about the brand you mentioned. VOC's, volatile organic compounds, are nasty & bad for us.

I have also used milk paint, but in a bathroom, that may not work.

treehugger
12-21-11, 2:39pm
These are good questions to ask. Like redfox, I believe some low VOC paints are for real, some are just marketing. Maybe Consumer Reports has unbiased info? I am personally biased against Sherwin Williams because their slogan (and their gawd-awful logo) is "Cover the earth." They still think this is a good idea for their logo to show a can of red paint drowning the globe?? Lame.

There are lots and lots of brands of paint. You will be able to find the right one, with the right research. Good for you for looking into this.

Kara

redfox
12-21-11, 3:04pm
I used to work for a local business called Ecohaus. They have some good brands. They were recently bought out by Green Depot, a national business, so not sure what they still carry. The Ecohaus website is still live. Check out the brands of paint they carry & look for local businesses that may carry those.

Rosemary
12-21-11, 3:18pm
We used the Sherwin Williams low-VOC Duration paints all through our house. The difference in odor is astonishing.

You can compare paint emissions from data on the spec sheets or materials safety data sheets (MSDSs), either of which should be available by asking and/or on company websites.

Jemima
12-21-11, 6:36pm
I'm more or less stuck with Sherwin Williams because that's where my painter gets his contractor discount, although this bathroom is so tiny it probably wouldn't cost much more to just buy whatever is best.

I never thought about the logo, though. That really *is* hideous.

treehugger
12-21-11, 6:43pm
I'm more or less stuck with Sherwin Williams because that's where my painter gets his contractor discount, although this bathroom is so tiny it probably wouldn't cost much more to just buy whatever is best.

I never thought about the logo, though. That really *is* hideous.

I shouldn't even have commented because I didn't actually have an opinion about their paint. But man, that logo bugs me every time I see it. If only they would ask my opinion! :P

Kara

larknm
12-27-11, 6:41pm
I've been told that only all-white paint can be nontoxic. ANY color added in, like an offwhite paint, can't be nontoxic. And that would be of a brand that calls itself nontoxic (which we do have locally here in Santa Fe). If I were limited to sherwin williams, I use their low-toxic all white color.