PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Xmac
1-17-11, 2:46pm
"Our scientific capabilities have out run our spiritual capabilities. We now have guided missiles and misguided men."

Though I'm not old enough to remember hearing about it at the time, the most memorable moment (among many) of MLK for me was that he cried when he heard LBJ say in a speech introducing the Voting Act bill, We Shall Overcome.

catherine
1-18-11, 9:25am
Here's my favorite quote of his. I've relayed it to my children. One of them used it in a valedictory speech at his college graduation, and another made me a plaque of it for my home office:

"Everybody can be great because everybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve. You don't have to know Einstein's theory of relativity to serve. You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace and a soul generated by love."

Amen, Dr. King.

treehugger
1-18-11, 12:10pm
Catherine, thanks for sharing that quote. It's very meaningful to me personally, and yet, I had never heard it before.