PDA

View Full Version : How did Christmas go?

RosieTR
12-26-11, 7:32pm
This was the first one in AZ when DH did not have to work. It's also the last one we'll spend in AZ. We slept in, had breakfast, met a friend and went for a moderate hike, came home and called family members then same friend came over and we had dinner. We ended the night roasting marshmallows over a mesquite fire and chatting. All in all, very pleasant, simple and calm. How was yours?

libby
12-26-11, 8:40pm
That sounds lovely! I hosted two different dinners. One on the 23rd for 17 people and one on Christmas Day for 25 people. It definitely was not quiet or simple. I'm tired.........

redfox
12-26-11, 9:14pm
Fabulous. Quiet time w/DH. Tomorrow my stepdaughter actually comes for a 2 day visit. Stepson is totally stonewalling us; who knows why? Whatev... he's 19. Looking forward to a mellow New year!

Wildflower
12-27-11, 4:44am
Hosted dinner for 10 and had overnight guests. It went well, but I am very tired. Grateful everyone was in good health this Christmas. That is usually not the case as someone in our family always seems to be sick on Christmas.

herbgeek
12-27-11, 6:44am
Had a lovely time at Mom's Christmas Eve- the sibling who tends to create the drama (or rather his GF does) did not come this year. New grandbaby in the family, that we all fussed over, so that was fun. Everyone seemed to like the socks I knitted for them this year. Christmas Day at my MIL's was the usual: no hello, no offering of anything to eat and drink, no eye contact, no conversation to me. Only to her boys. The other daughter in law was ignored too. I do it for my husband, but I feel no guilt anymore for how infrequently I go over there. There's no point.

Mrs-M
12-27-11, 9:21am
You were reading my mind, RosieTR, Re: starting this thread! So glad you got things rolling.

We all take turns hosting Christmas Day dinner each year, and this year was my in-laws turn. As always, we had a really great time. Lots of laughs, lots of hugs, and of course, the food and baking was fantabulous (as always)!

However, one thing that really hit me as of this year, is how, no matter how much preparation and organization one takes to ensuring that the holiday season goes off without a glitch, there's always something (or another) that crops up and surprises. No amount of planning seems to prevent such things from happening, even though I'm talking about minor little things, like waiting on those who (so it seems) like to make a career out of arriving late (every year), those who forget something or another and fret about it for the first part of the evening until it gets the best of them, at which time they decide to make a mad-dash for home to go get it (why didn't think of that early on), or someone or another who allows all the busyness of the season to get the better of them.

Good news is, I can't complain, though the season really is overrated, and aside from the pleasure I get out of watching the kids open gifts (and just be kids), I can do without it. Even with keeping things frugal, simple, and low-key, it's a huge job getting ready for it, and it's over so fast.

RosieTR
12-27-11, 11:00am
Had a lovely time at Mom's Christmas Eve- the sibling who tends to create the drama (or rather his GF does) did not come this year. New grandbaby in the family, that we all fussed over, so that was fun. Everyone seemed to like the socks I knitted for them this year. Christmas Day at my MIL's was the usual: no hello, no offering of anything to eat and drink, no eye contact, no conversation to me. Only to her boys. The other daughter in law was ignored too. I do it for my husband, but I feel no guilt anymore for how infrequently I go over there. There's no point.

Sounds like you and the other DIL should bring food and drink to share with each other, then go for a walk together in the neighborhood!

puglogic
12-27-11, 3:47pm
Glad it's over, and today I'm feeling like I ran a marathon. Wish I could sleep but I need to work today.

Sometimes I don't realize how different my husband and I are from our families until I have to spend time with either of them. Literally, the ratio of good things to bad things they bring up in conversation is like 1 to 100. By comparison, I'd say our home conversations are more like 20 good to one bad. My aging FIL didn't like all those "women's empowerment commercials", didn't like the places we took him out to eat, didn't want to do anything but then was bored, always wanted the one thing brought to him at the table that I hadn't thought of (case in point, this morning's toast-and-coffee breakfast, the only thing he'll really eat, I had set out a veritable forest of jam, jelly, honey, butter, etc., and he looked up incredulously and said, "Where's the peanut butter?")

Feeling like I've been in a foreign country (the nation of Nothing's Ever Right) and I'm jet-lagged. Can't wait for my own life to catch up with me again!! :)

treehugger
12-27-11, 4:02pm
Feeling like I've been in a foreign country (the nation of Nothing's Ever Right) and I'm jet-lagged. Can't wait for my own life to catch up with me again!! :)

Awww, poor puglogic. Welcome home to the land of sanity. Good luck with your jet-lag. ;)

Our Christmas was a mix of sadness and nice times. The sad was lunch with DH's grandma at the Alzeimers care facility where she has lived for over 2 years. She still knows us, but that's all as far as any remaining spark or personality. And when we were leaving, she broke down, crying that she didn't want to be left alone on the street. It was heartbreaking.

From there, we went straight to DH's cousin's and had a delicious dinner (2,000 times better than the food we had to eat with Grandma), wine, and good conversation. We don't do gifts, so there was none of those stresses. Just hanging out with family.

On Friday morning we drive down to SoCal to spend New Year's with my dad, step-mom, and sisters. Very much looking forward to the trip!

Kara

lhamo
12-27-11, 4:05pm
We had a really nice family-centered holiday. A big plus was that DH was able to be here -- originally he wasn't going to come to the US this year, but then he got called back to NY for a work-related event and managed to route his trip back through Seattle for a few days. We only give gifts to the kids, and they all got things that were on their lists and were very happy with the presents, even though the number was relatively small. My sister heroically offered to roast a turkey, and since all the ladies in the family are doing variations on low carb diets we had a mega roasted veggie feast to go along with it -- including cauliflower, brussel sprouts (a first time for me -- yum! Bummed we can't really get them in Beijing...), asparagus and sweet potatoes. Plus salad. Didn't miss mashed potatoes at all, and we polished off a surprising amount of the vegetables.

This whole holiday has been really mellow and relaxing. We're mostly just spending time with the kids hanging out -- went to a couple of movies that were fun, but otherwise have elected to avoid all the crowds, hustle and bustle and just relax. I have done a fair amount of stock-up shopping but that, too, has been relatively easy to get done. Helps to have a good list and know what main stores I need to hit. Haven't done clothes shopping this trip, except for a trip to Value Village to browse yesterday, so that makes it easier.

I'm so glad our family is low key and everyone gets along. I feel for those of you who have to deal with various types of drama every holiday.

lhamo

Mrs-M
12-27-11, 4:16pm
I love brussel sprouts too, Lhamo! There is so many ways to enjoy them, but one of my favourites is drizzling fresh-squeezed lemon juice over them! Traditional Holiday turkey dinner just isn't the same without them.

CathyA
12-27-11, 4:19pm
As I've said in my other post, I'm sooooooooo glad its all over. It really wears me out. But I can't complain..........we had christmas eve with DH's extended family, as we always do. Everyone always gets along with everybody, which is nice. Then christmas day was just DH, DD and DS and I. We had a good time and ate great food. It was very nice. But I'm glad we can relax now.

bae
12-27-11, 4:21pm
As usual, my teenage daughter and I have been crossing swords all week.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gBdAXLqJYDQ/TvegDEBQ_2I/AAAAAAAAEd8/zeMuF6sz6eI/s640/IMG_0385.JPG

citrine
12-27-11, 4:33pm
I am glad it is over too.....Christmas Eve we had the boys and I had a client and her dog over....we asked them to stay for dinner since she is usually alone on the holidays.
Sunday, we had my parents who don't get along, a woman I know who also lost her husband this year, and matt's youngest brother...the nurse who took care of their mom and her young daughter who screamed like a lunatic.
Then I went to Atlantic City with my mom yesterday and just got home.....I need to retreat to my calm cave!
Nothing is going on at our house for New Years...thank god!

razz
12-27-11, 7:51pm
We had a lovely anniversary dinner out on the 23rd, quiet on the 24th, spontaneous turkey dinner with neighbours on the 25th, quiet bit of shopping and finishing DGS PJ's and matching wrap around before DD1 and her DH and DGS arrived on 26th. Lots of walks with DGS today, shopping with DD1 and a nice quiet turkey dinner before they went home. Snow was falling as they left which was lovely.

We only give gifts to DGS and a few gag gifts to the adults so no pressure and no fuss. The rest of the family was visiting elsewhere and came back to their home safely so this Christmas was wonderful.

peggy
12-27-11, 7:57pm
Good Christmas. My son came home so it was just a quiet, lovely holiday. Fire in the fireplace, cocoa and good conversation. Just perfect.

Wildflower
12-27-11, 10:26pm
Good news is, I can't complain, though the season really is overrated, and aside from the pleasure I get out of watching the kids open gifts (and just be kids), I can do without it. Even with keeping things frugal, simple, and low-key, it's a huge job getting ready for it, and it's over so fast.

I so agree, Mrs-M!