PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day

RosieTR
12-26-11, 7:34pm
Here in the States, we don't really have a tradition for Boxing Day. Anyone care to explain it?
We spent the day literally putting things in boxes, as we're moving soon. I thought that was funny but probably not the tradition....

Tradd
12-26-11, 8:10pm
The original tradition, as I've read, was when the more well-off "boxed" up things for the poor (food, clothing).

Now, it seems it's a day to take back all the gifts you didn't want...

Mighty Frugal
12-26-11, 9:27pm
Boxing day today means we get a stat (day off with pay) and it's usually the day we have dinner with the second tier folk (other side of the family, friends, neighbours, etc)

Oh, and it is equivalent to the American 'Black Friday' it's the day people line up to get great deals-Boxing Day deals...no way near as big as the States but our own little mad shopping day

iris lily
12-26-11, 10:31pm
I did my share of store returns. ugh. The one present I bought for DH, blue jeans, were not the "fit" he prefers. He likes classic fit, not
relaxed" fit. I had to scour the store for jeans in his size that were a classic fit, and by the time I found them they were twice the price of the ones I had returned and were in a light color. Oh well, that's what he got.

I also boxed up crap and sent some to the dumpster, bagged some for Goodwill, and put away the rest.

Mrs-M
12-27-11, 9:33am
Boxing Day (for us), is simply a day to reflect, a time to rest and wind-down, a time to settle and relax. We stay close to home (inside). Boxing Day, is a day to eat leftovers, sit around in our pyjamas/casual wear, and just be ourselves. No pressure, no stress, no commitments.

mira
12-28-11, 5:34am
I think the term originated in Victorian Britain, when they did as Tradd mentioned. Unfortunately today it is synonymous with shops opening at 6am to receive hoards of bargain shoppers.