PDA

View Full Version : doing a brief south beach style/perimenopause

Zoe Girl
12-29-11, 8:57pm
Okay my body is outa whack. I have generally been the type to eat anything I want, I really do eat healthy, but still the weight thing has not been an issue. So I am 45. I just totally missed a period (TMI I know) and when it was supposed to happen I bloated up tremendously, like added 5 pounds (I am only 5'2"). Of course this was at Christmas so we have the thousands of calories my mom lovingly baked and brought to my house. I love all the tasty treats, and most years I do not gain a pound. This year 15 pounds since September! And my dress pants are NOT gonna fit come Tuesday when we go back to work.

Okay you can hate me but I have to learn to adjust now. I realize I also worked 7 days a week for so long and that meant at least 20 hours a week on my feet, plus whatever during the weekday. I am doing a basic lots of vegies and protein, no sugar deal that works so well with my body type and going for walks every day. Not forgetting the water, so my starbucks gift card wil have to wait since the chai does not come sugar free. I guess I am finally joining the crowd that needs to watch what they eat. :0!

Wildflower
12-30-11, 3:09am
No sympathy from me. ;) But seriously the closer you get to menopause - it really messes with your metabolism. I'm in a battle with my weight now too. I have been told by my doctor that once I get through menopause that it will be easier to lose weight again. I hope so - I just want to be healthy, not necessarily skinny again....

redfox
12-30-11, 3:57am
Fwiw, my PA informed me 10 years ago that women with extra weight frequently have an easier menopause, as body fat creates its own estrogen. That, in my opinion, is the adaptive body wisdom of mid age weight gain.

sunnyjoe
12-30-11, 11:09am
I'm 44 and having similar experiences. I think it's a combination of slowing metabolism and bloating (glamorous I know!)... I spoke with my physician recently and at this point she just stressed exercise. She wants me to do 1 hour 5x a week. I started at 30min 3x a week and am trying very hard to pick that up. I haven't yet sorted out what I'll do about diet and supplements but that's next.

CathyA
12-30-11, 11:19am
I have absolutely nothing good to say about perimenopause. :~)
And I've been in menopause for about 6 years now and its nearly impossible to lose weight.
Have a nice day. :D

Zoe Girl
12-30-11, 11:24am
Oh dear, well I am not so vain that I cannot accept this ya know. If I am not going to lose weight then I am not buying clothes until I see where I settle!