PDA

View Full Version : Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Artiritis

larknm
12-30-11, 10:13am
Anyone have experience with these often-linked disorders?

I've been diagnosed with PMR and will see another rheumatologist soon. I am on Prednisone--a problem in itself.

frugal-one
12-31-11, 2:24am
My DH has terrible arthritis and went to the rheumatologist. The first time they gave him drugs that disintegrated parts of his spine. He now is 4 inches shorter, plus other problems. The second time they gave him drugs that caused kidney failure. I researched and found which drugs he was taking and what they depleted from his system. I then determined what foods would replace what was lost. The doctor said he is the first patient she has had that has had a total recovery from kidney failure. The point I am trying to make is don't take the doc's word for anything. Don't just take what they say.. ask many questions. Recently, an article appeared in our local paper telling how doctors are getting kickbacks for drugs they prescribe and various other products. It turns out a doc my DH had made an additional $870,000 last year in addition to his wages just by using a product from a company that gave him a kickback. My brother has a saying... "They are called practitioners for a reason... they like to practice on you."

Prednisone... taking may deplete or interfere with calcium, magnesium, chromium, melatonin, potassium, selenium, vitamin B6, and vitamin D. Cautions against drinking grapefruit juice. Also may interactions with herbs. You are right... prednisone is nasty stuff!

JaneV2.0
12-31-11, 1:52pm
I know someone who was diagnosed with PR, but I believe what they really had was statin-induced muscle damage. One year of Prednisone later, they have limited kidney function as well. Since dropping the statins, they don't seem to have PR any more. It's hard to tell which one of the expensive, unnecessary drugs did the most damage in their case.

I recently heard TV personality Dr. Drew comment that his father was a family practice physician who told him to stay away from prescription drugs because "they all have side effects, and many of them are worse than the original complaint." That's my philosophy, as well. Find the underlying cause of the problem and fix it by natural means, if at all possible.

puglogic
1-4-12, 10:35am
Agreed. In almost ALL cases in my life, the prescription drug has done far more damage than it fixed. I was going to ask about statins as well.

JaneV2.0
1-4-12, 3:57pm
Also, I think Polymyalgia Rheumatica is one of those wastebasket diagnoses doctors use when they really don't know what's wrong with you. It basically means "your muscles hurt." If I got a diagnosis like that, I think I'd next try a natural-practices provider to see if I could get to the bottom of it. I'd also be swilling magnesium, most likely. But that's just me.

Jemima
1-8-12, 8:38pm
I'm another who thinks prescription drugs are the pits.

I suppose I'm lucky that my doctor didn't diagnose me as PR. I have pain in my shoulders and arms and cannot lift my arms much above my waist in a standing position (lying down, no problem). Most of this is due to taking Lipitor. My cholestrol got down to 134 on the drug. My doctor was thrilled. I nearly wet my panties in fear.

So now I have a prescription for PT and I'm looking forward to going, but I'm still suffering the after-effects of taking Lexapro, an antidepressant. Insomnia is the chief culprit, making it impossible for me to plan any farther ahead than a few hours because I may be too exhausted to go anywhere.

The next doctor who hands me a prescription is going to find a large bite taken out of their hand. >:(>:(>:(