PDA

View Full Version : The Austerity House

crunchycon
12-31-11, 6:58am
Not precisely my taste (might have been, if I were a few years younger;)), but a fun read, nonetheless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079784/The-austerity-house-Couple-completely-make-home-reclaimed-goods.html

goldensmom
12-31-11, 7:27am
Yes, a fun read. Creative but it's not me. If I had a pile of pallets to do something with, they'd just end up being a pile of pallets.

catherine
12-31-11, 9:12am
Gee, I think it's beautiful... must be the wanna-be nun in me.

KayLR
12-31-11, 9:45am
Awesome! Love the kitchen sink area. Good workmanship on their part. If my DH had done this the outcome wld have been much different.

Mrs-M
12-31-11, 10:17am
Fun it is, and so pleasingly unique. The chair fashioned from the planks of a wine barrel and covered with a padded burlap pad, looks so comfy.

jennipurrr
1-1-12, 5:41pm
I really like the cabinets beside the stove! Interesting house and story. Some of the comments were a little harsh!

redfox
1-1-12, 7:58pm
I like it. Of course, I live with a cabinet/fine furniture builder, and we re-do things a lot. We're building out our one car detached garage ths spring, with an office for me & a small tools workbench area. I have noticed a bunch of free home entertainment centers on Craigslist, so we're going to get several of those to create the workbench. Salvage is fun!

Tradd
1-1-12, 8:21pm
Some of it isn't to my taste, but you have to give them points for being frugal and recycling items. One comment, something along the lines of "do the environment a favor - don't redo your house" completely ignores the fact that the flat was apparently in very rough shape when this couple bought it. Reminds me of Amy D. and what her family did to their large old home, as well as someone she profiled who used all sorts of things to have a nice home/B&B.

Tiam
1-1-12, 10:50pm
Yes, a fun read. Creative but it's not me. If I had a pile of pallets to do something with, they'd just end up being a pile of pallets.
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/design-architecture/firm-turns-shipping-pallets-into-transitional-homes-for-refugees/2841http://www.fastcodesign.com/multisite_files/codesign/imagecache/feature-2/article_feature/Pallet-House-from-Above-_zoom-by-Gabriel-Neri-lead.jpg

Zoebird
1-1-12, 11:33pm
very cute, really.

jp1
1-2-12, 11:32am
I really like the cabinets beside the stove! Interesting house and story. Some of the comments were a little harsh!

Yeah im always amazed at how harsh the comments can be on newspaper sites that have stories about anyone living their life in anyway that's even slightly non-standard. I mean really, the person calling them selfish for "putting others out of work since they did all this themselves" was just too much.

pony mom
1-2-12, 11:04pm
I love the idea of putting a clothes closet area behind the big headboard. Those flats usually don't have closets.

It's a very eclectic mix but it all goes well together. Those rubber floors must feel warm on bare feet.