PDA

View Full Version : decluttering the big stuff

Zoe Girl
12-31-11, 7:48pm
I have reached a new level, and I have big things to purge. I have a nice front loader large washer/dryer set that are broken again. Tired of fixing them and want to move to an apartment next. Besides I have been going to the laundromat since May, what the heck. I found a free appliance pick up for those. They may be able to fix them or at least recycle all the metal.

Now I have a mattress and box spring that are beyond ancient. I can wait until the 2nd week of February for my neighborhoos large item pick up or find another place sooner. I think all the dumps charge fees, I don't want to pay a fee being a wonderful frugal person. So I am stumped on this one.

Other than that doing okay, too much kid art work and a ton of towels (left over from swim teams). Books could take a good serious purge as well.

sweetana3
12-31-11, 7:54pm
Towels are almost always welcome at any animal shelter or humane society. They wash them all the time and they wear out fast. All sizes needed. Books are almost always welcome at libraries for their sales. We have great sales here at all the libraries.

fidgiegirl
12-31-11, 9:57pm
Give the mattress a shot on Craigslist for free. You never know who is in need of something, even if ancient. Once I had a BF who needed a free mattress and we never were able to secure on on CL - they always went way too fast. Worth a shot, and if you are honest, no need to feel guilty that it is old.

ETA: Awesome job. It feels so good to get rid of these kinds of things!!